Page 9 of 143 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Mike, these are really good... I had to put the grilles back on because how they look and how they sound don't jive.
    They are so pretty that expectations are very high, IF you're an inverted dome metalhead like me. If you ever heard a Revel Ultima Salon then saw the PT800 with the 4" Titanium pistonic drive transducer, you'd have VERY high hopes. Then to have 6" and 8" Ti alloy drivers, too: irresistible! Otherwise, yes, I guess you "paper or plastic" guys need to look away.

G.T. was right. Imagine that!
    As if you had any doubts...

One of my requirements for the PT800's is that they operate with other JBL VLF systems as did the L212 panels.
    Please expand on this if you don't mind. Thanks.
    Out.

what sound diffrences did you notice from the SVA series to the performence series?
    JBL The Competition

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I guess you "paper or plastic" guys need to look away.
    That wasn't exactly my point. I think Mike got the idea. There is no denying these transducers look very nice. They look better in person than in any photo I've seen.
    As if you had any doubts...
    Yep, always. We don't share a pair of ears. I obviously can't elaborate on a public forum.
    Please expand on this if you don't mind. Thanks.
    I don't like to be locked in to any single sub solution. The PT800's would need to work with a variety of sub solutions.

No idea on max SPL. I haven't really romped on them yet.
    I was thinking in terms of any written data.

Obsolete
    That would be 115 dB maximum peak (not sustained). Probably figure 6 dB below that for continuous SPL. The L212 was 113 dB and I can tell you right off the bat the Performance Series has lower power compression.

Obsolete
    L212 crossover points 800 Hz, 3 kHz

PT800 crossover points 650 Hz, 3.2 kHz
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That would be 115 dB maximum peak (not sustained). Probably figure 6 dB below that for continuous SPL. The L212 was 113 dB and I can tell you right off the bat the Performance Series has lower power compression.
    That is kinda what I was trying to get at, was dynamic range and power compression. Being a fan of big horn loaded systems will make this interesting. Don't they measure peak at a given freq., or is it kind of an average?

Obsolete
    It's averaged.

These don't have the dynamic range of a big horn system. That wasn't part of the design specification.

There's a time for horns and there's a time for direct radiators. I'm sure plenty of people would beg to differ one way or another.

BTW, for those who care about such things, WAF here is very high.

It's averaged.

These don't have the dynamic range of a big horn system. That wasn't part of the design specification.

There's a time for horns and there's a time for direct radiators. I'm sure plenty of people would beg to differ one way or another.

That's why I own both! There is also a time for a giant 5 foot parabolic speaker that that has a pattern of 8 degrees at 100 feet. http://www.meyersound.com/products/i...alseries/sb-1/
    I just haven't found out when that time is yet, but I still want a pair. I could beam music into the neighbors backyard party from 500 feet away.

BTW, as for WAF, that helps, as I might actually be allowed to have something upstairs for once.

I'm seriously debating a kind of install with the 4430's in our upcoming remodel, firing down into the living room in an arrangement not too much different than a studio soffitt mounting. We'll see............

Smile

It's averaged.

I agree with you, and so apparently does JBL. Looking at the top of the line Synthesis gear we find speakers that are EQed externally and controlled by the JBL (Lexicon, really) pre/pro. Depending on the setting, music or cinema, some drivers in an enclosure are on and others are off. You get horns in cinema modes, but they're silenced and replaced by direct radiators with different EQ in music modes.

They're big, though, and if you tried to drop them in your living room, the WAF/GAF would be zero or more likely a negative number.

In the right environment (if you've got the cash and a dedicated room), they're unbelievable.

For me, it's GAF, but you're right. I'm pretty sure this was a part of the design specification (improving visual appeal, at least). My GF very much likes the look, especially the stack. "It looks like it's floating."
    Out.

They're big, though, and if you tried to drop them in your living room, the WAF/GAF would be zero or more likely a negative number.
    Probably as close an attempt at getting a fully horn loaded system to have WAF as could be expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WAF ?

- With all deference to the good Dr. E.

- The above is a "look" of dualing ball lobbers that only a "pumped-up" Maguire could truly appreciate .

- Hey , & I love round horns .

- Apologies "in advance" to those who I have offended .

yer helping me make my point!!! How do you "hide" an all-horn system??! One key would be to build it into the house, which several have done. Termination is behind some large grill cloth on the wall, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    WAF ?

- With all deference to the good Dr. E.

- The above is a "look" of dualing ball lobbers that only a "pumped-up" Maguire could truly appreciate .

- Hey , & I love round horns .

- Apologies "in advance" to those who I have offended .

yer helping me make my point!!!
    - Glad to help !

- I'd like to see those gleaming Ti domes directly marketed at the SR guys . They (we) know what those shiny domes are all about .

- Ya might even catch a few of the older glam-rock guys trying to preen themselves in front of those mini-parabolics . ( It's an image )

Hey, let's keep it up! Pretty soon maybe we'll catch the sub1500 and quick&dirty 4430 threads for posts!

BTW, I love this spec from the parabolic speaker mentioned above;
    Maximum SPL
    ...110 dB @ 100 meters

Thread Information