Page 88 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Wasn't the Sub1500 sold as a substitute for the PS1400 in the European markets?
    Not really. The 1500SUB is a true ultra low frequency transducer designed to operate in small sealed boxes. It also happens to work well enough in vented boxes. It was originally badged as the Revel 15. Then it was badged as the JBL TiK Sub.

I still like ports for music and sealed for LFE.
    Theoretically it is the other way around.
    What the PS1400 would be better called is: "the bottom end" of a PT800. The stacks are impressive for music, more like a 250ti than not, with substantial bottom end for any requirements except maybe the most demanding pipe organ recordings. Authoritative, clean and precise. But viewed as a sub, they fall pretty short.
    Right. They are an evolution of the 250Ti concept.

Mike Ronesia
    You weenies with no PS1400 stacks do not get to call your systems "Performance Series" systems.
    Not a problem out this way. I just call them JBL's and nuf said.

Mike Ronesia
    I do think mine is better looking!

80sKid
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdgrimes
    I still like ports for music and sealed for LFE.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

Theoretically it is the other way around.
    That's certainly the way I feel. I like a sealed type of cabinet's tightness for bass instruments and a vented cabinet's extension for LFE.

(Ironically, I have vented JBL Studio series towers and sealed B&W subs. It's not a pairing I plan on keeping long-term.)

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    BOING! Here comes the monster thread back to life. 1293 posts and 77K views is just too good to let it rot away like some stinking pachyderm.......................

The PS held up quite nicely, along with the sub1500's.
    Also watched Angels and Demons, and was perplexed on how to tame the constant and overblown LF/VLF, without turning on lights and reacquainting myself with the AVR menu. I just shut one sub off. Perfect. Must have been the wine, took me 20 minutes to come up with that one...............................
    I used 500w BASH amp for my 1500s, only about a 1/4 of the VC run and the AVR's sub setting @ -db and it still kicked ass.

All in storage right now, while I trek around Ecuador. Eventually, I'll get back to Nevada and have it all sent down here.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    I used 500w BASH amp for my 1500s, only about a 1/4 of the VC run and the AVR's sub setting @ -db and it still kicked ass.

All in storage right now, while I trek around Ecuador. Eventually, I'll get back to Nevada and have it all sent down here.
    Then you can go from trying to keep things from getting to dried out to keeping them from molding.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    Then you can go from trying to keep things from getting to dried out to keeping them from molding.

Merry Christmas
    Actually, here in Cuenca, although there are 4 rivers, it can be on the dry side, at times. 8300 ft
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Actually, here in Cuenca, although there are 4 rivers, it can be on the dry side, at times. 8300 ft
    Dude, you're high!

You weenies with no PS1400 stacks do not get to call your systems "Performance Series" systems.
    Does this look weenie to you?

Does this look weenie to you?
    Where's your wall treatments in that concrete corner?

Where's your wall treatments in that concrete corner?
    That's from about '05: now I've taped aluminum foil over the walls and it sounds much better.............................plus damps EMP.

That's from about '05: now I've taped aluminum foil over the walls and it sounds much better.............................plus damps EMP.
    Here's a pic of Mike's brother... seems to run in the family.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

80sKid
    Sounds so inviting.

Mike Ronesia
    If anyone ever takes the foil down and starts basting you then you better start running because you're almost done!!!

Ok, so I'm semi on-board now with a partial P-series setup. I have a pair of PT800's, a PC600, and a PS1400 that appears to have a bad/weak amplifier. I'd like to pick some brains here about how to work around that PS1400 amplifier issue. My goal is to get the system built-up for eventual installation, as I am in the market for a home at the moment.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is pickup another PS1400 with a bad amplifier and work around the stock plate amps altogether.

The problem I get into is the crossover setup is a bit confusing. I want to get the PS stacks setup to work as full range fronts, assuming LFE would go to a dedicated sub. From what I can tell the PS1400 plate amp is a sort of goofy amp with independently adjustable high level & LFE inputs. Then the high level out is just jumped into a 130Hz passive crossover before going to the PT800 dock outputs, with no other electronic high pass figured into the amplifier itself. Is this right?

So if I wanted to replace the PS1400 amps, I could just run my normal high level front signals into the high level inputs on the plate amp (which would drive the 1400) and then parrallel that same high level connection into the PS1400 passive high pass crossover to the docked PT800. Adjust the plate amp level to flat and bingo, I'm done.

Using the PS1400's as conventional subs would also be easy, just use the new plate amps LFE input with a 80Hz crossed LFE+Main signal and make sure the receiver is sending a 80Hz front signal to the PT800s. This setup is a bit compromised considering secondary dedicated subs, because there is no longer a purely LFE signal available. I think I could work around this by using a very low crossover setting on the dedicated sub, or by just running another set of speaker wires to the PS1400 modules to use the high lvl inputs. Neither arrangement is really ideal but it seems workable.

The third (and easiest) option is just to dump the PS1400 concept altogether and simply run with conventional subs using a LFE+Main arrangement. I would highly consider this for a pure HT setup but I really want to keep the PS1400's in the game for 2 channel music. I still think there is a great advantage to running strong full range front stacks for music. I have never really been satisfied with a sub/sat setup for 2ch music.

Do plate amp high level inputs have power limitations?

I know this is a bit of a crazy post, but if anyone else has been in the same predicament, I'd really like to learn from your decisions. I really want to keep the same setup flexibility but get out of the stock amps.

And I'd like to close the post by noting that Dome warned me I was getting into a bit of a mess. Sometimes you just can't resist complicating things.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Thread Information