Page 81 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    I just picked up two more PT800's and PC600 from TDome Audio solutions in SoCal to go with the two I got earlier. Now I will have a Performance Series 5.0 setup to go with my two L8400 subs. They are being shipped and should be here in a few weeks. I'm so ready for some 5.1 music...

As much as I'd like a couple of PS1400's to finish it off they are out of budget for now. Things change so maybe someday.
    MC music via the Performance Series is indeed sweet. The only difference with my setup is a PT800 instead of PC600. And a pair of SUB1500s instead of the L8400P.
    Enjoy
    Living in the Land of the Sun

As much as I'd like a couple of PS1400's to finish it off they are out of budget for now. Things change so maybe someday.
    Break out the table saw and router and get to work building a couple custom 15" subs.

But don't worry, we'll let you into the PS snob's club without them.

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Break out the table saw and router and get to work building a couple custom 15" subs.

But don't worry, we'll let you into the PS snob's club without them.
    Thanks, I try not to mention my Studio L series speakers on this forum. You people are so far above and beyond where I will ever be when it comes to Speaker knowledge that all I can do is read and learn most of the time. I did enjoy building the AV cabinet so making some sub boxes could be fun.

Nothing wrong with the Studio L Series or some of JBL's other consumer stuff. Each level of equipment serves a purpose and a market segment. I still listen to my Northridge E Series E50s every week and enjoy the heck out of them. I listen to the SAT10 minis in my home office every day and along with the matching cheapo sub never spend a second worrying if anyone here likes it or not.

Now that I've "moved up" to SAM units and 18" super subs, I have no intention of giving up my Performance Series 5.1 music system because it's "down market." It's a beautiful thing which I will always love.

A lot of folks here have old clunkers from the past that are representative of past lines, both high and low, and we keep them, listen to them, and sometimes rave about them despite their purported shortcomings, so I think representing the Studio L Series is just fine.
    Out.

80sKid
    Very well said!

Mike Ronesia
    Don't get me wrong. I think they are crazy good for the money I paid. It's just that they are not Heritage.

Don't get me wrong. I think they are crazy good for the money I paid. It's just that they are not Heritage.
    There was time when L100s, L200s and L300s weren't heritage either.

I paid $273 each for my brand new L100s in 1970. They'd cost a lot more today, but they'd be be much better speakers if built today, too. They'd have real crossovers in them. They'd have real speaker connector posts. They'd have more advanced cabinet design. They'd have better drivers. They'd have better frequency response.

For less than $273 I can get a Studio L Series L820, which is a better speaker in almost every way: better crossovers, better binding posts, better midrange driver, better tweeter, more advanced cabinetry, and much better frequency response. What's it missing? A 12-inch woofer (and the boomy lower third octave) and wood veneer.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Well at least they won't have dust caps to push in.

There really are no stands that are toddler-proof. No chance of a wall mount?
    You can remove the bottom plate from the PT800 and bolt it to almost anything, then bolt the PT800 back to the plate. What about some kind of tables?
    not true, my 2yr old took the cover off my LC center and wedged his grubby lil fingers around the wave guide and pushed in the nice "shiny" dome on the tweeter......

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    not true, my 2yr old took the cover off my LC center and wedged his grubby lil fingers around the wave guide and pushed in the nice "shiny" dome on the tweeter......
    You should be able to suck it back out using a vacuum w/wand attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    There was time when L100s, L200s and L300s weren't heritage either.

I paid $273 each for my brand new L100s in 1970. They'd cost a lot more today, but they'd be be much better speakers if built today, too. They'd have real crossovers in them. They'd have real speaker connector posts. They'd have more advanced cabinet design. They'd have better drivers. They'd have better frequency response.

For less than $273 I can get a Studio L Series L820, which is a better speaker in almost every way: better crossovers, better binding posts, better midrange driver, better tweeter, more advanced cabinetry, and much better frequency response. What's it missing? A 12-inch woofer (and the boomy lower third octave) and wood veneer.
    The wire connectors used in the '70s left much to be desired. And crossover parts are much better today. But there is nothing stopping anyone from building new XOs for vintage speakers. In fact, I'd call it a must if still using old speakers.
    As for better drivers, imo, it would depend on the drivers in question, as to if today's driver are better.

Does anyone remember the poster who had a complete 2 channel PS system and built upgraded external crossovers, with the XO boxes filled with sand?
    I've been searching for that thread and can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Does anyone remember the poster who had a complete 2 channel PS system and built upgraded external crossovers, with the XO boxes filled with sand?
    I've been searching for that thread and can't find it.
    Yeah, he was a Canadian Guy ... B&Kman

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...4345+crossover
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I don't think that's the same guy or thread. B&KMan is talking about a 4343, not the PS.
    The thread I'm talking about there were pics of PS stacks with the crossover boxes sitting on top of the subs, showing the XOs and then pics with the boxes filled with sand.

Ahhh ... right, B&Kman did do some sand-filled crossover, but I remember that other one ... darned if I can find it right now tho ...

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    I don't think that's the same guy or thread. B&KMan is talking about a 4343, not the PS.
    The thread I'm talking about there were pics of PS stacks with the crossover boxes sitting on top of the subs, showing the XOs and then pics with the boxes filled with sand.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ahhh ... right, B&Kman did do some sand-filled crossover, but I remember that other one ... darned if I can find it right now tho ...
    I've done about a dozen searches, worded different ways with no luck.

edit: Well lucky 13, just found that thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...+filled+Series

Thread Information