Page 80 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Mike Ronesia
    How critical is this alignment? When I mounted the 800's on my L8400's I just eye balled it from a picture of the 800/1400 stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    And I'll be shipping some more out soon.

Then I'll only have nine or ten PT800s, one PC600, four PS1400s, and three HTPS400s. I'll practically be out of them!

True enough. My guess--and it's only a guess--is that the bottom should come forward, not the top go backward. I'd bet that the tweeter is closer to or spot on to the correct position that the 904Ti and 908Ti are.
    We're only talking 2". The 908 measures 2 1/2" from flange to VC. The Tweeter's measurement is only 1/2" to VC. So a diff of only 2". That works out to a 5.5* tilt

As for the set back of the PT800 to the sub, that only time align the mid-bass to the sub.
    I have no idea what the LE14-3 distance is flange/VC as I don't have one.

But as to if it would be worth the bother is something else again.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    How critical is this alignment? When I mounted the 800's on my L8400's I just eye balled it from a picture of the 800/1400 stacks.
    I suspect it's important. When recently doing auto-setup in my Yamaha, I wound up with the L and R stacks getting set with distances of 1/2 ft different. (side-wall reflections). When I changed it back to the same distance I heard it immediately and the difference was impressively better at the same distance. Even outside my sweet spot it sounded cleaner that way. That's 6", so an inch or 2 could easily make a difference on the stacks. But looking at mine, the voice coils in the 800 appear to be a couple inches behind the coil on the 1400.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Please tell me you're not contemplating buying speakers based solely on . . . what's written on this forum?
    Though it's probably more critical in a built-in HT situation, I've purchased eight pairs of JBLs from recommendations from this forum—and have yet to be disappointed! I would doubly trust any recommendation from T-dome who nearly single-handedly turned me into an L7 believer.

You could certainly find much less-accurate information elsewhere.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

You could certainly find much less-accurate information elsewhere.
    Without a doubt! Nonetheless, I still think it's a risky proposition (especially if it's a major purchase) and I guess I'm just not much of a gamblin' man

And yes, I have done it, though with mixed results. Once bitten, twice shy I guess.

Best,
    - Mike

Without a doubt! Nonetheless, I still think it's a risky proposition (especially if it's a major purchase) and I guess I'm just not much of a gamblin' man

And yes, I have done it, though with mixed results. Once bitten, twice shy I guess.

Best,
    - Mike
    It would depend if one was a JBL newbe or a JBL oldtimer.

When I first read Gordon Holt's review of the PS in '02, plus seeing the pics of the speakers I knew they were worth buying unheard. The overall design of the PT800 was basicly the same as the then 25 year old L212s; 3-way towers, sat/sub, real close in cabinet size.

And my assumption wasn't wrong, I haven't heard any other speaker at or below the $3K price I would call better.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I suspect it's important. When recently doing auto-setup in my Yamaha, I wound up with the L and R stacks getting set with distances of 1/2 ft different. (side-wall reflections). When I changed it back to the same distance I heard it immediately and the difference was impressively better at the same distance. Even outside my sweet spot it sounded cleaner that way. That's 6", so an inch or 2 could easily make a difference on the stacks. But looking at mine, the voice coils in the 800 appear to be a couple inches behind the coil on the 1400.
    I've only got the PT800 about 1" back from the sub1500 baffle and it seems to be all good.
    but using the AVR menu one can always use a different measurement for the sub, like having the PT800 at 9 ft, as mine are, and the sub at 8.8 ft. That's a difference of 2.4". Of coarse I'm using a different sub, but that would, in effect set the tower 3.4" back of the sub baffle, in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    It would depend if one was a JBL newbe or a JBL oldtimer.
    I can see this point, and I'm glad it's worked out for those who have done it. Personally, I still think the whole idea is counterintuitive, akin to say buying a car without a test drive. Even though I know I love vintage Mopars, I wouldn't buy one without driving it first, and I wouldn't buy a newer model based upon my affinity for their older products.

What I think it comes down to is availability, and JBL fans are put in the position where they have no choice but to either buy without hearing first, or to buy something else because of the (much lamented here) lack of availability of the product in the retail market. In other words, can you truthfully say that if those PT800's were available for audition in a local outlet, you wouldn't have gone to listen to them prior to purchase? Be honest now

Best,
    - Mike

In other words, can you truthfully say that if those PT800's were available for audition in a local outlet, you wouldn't have gone to listen to them prior to purchase? Be honest now

Best,
    - Mike
    I can say that without hesitation. I might audition them if it was easy to do, but I wouldn't base my buying on that audition because I know they would sound completely different at home. You NEVER know till you set them up at home, period.

Mike Ronesia
    I can say that without hesitation. I might audition them if it was easy to do, but I wouldn't base my buying on that audition because I know they would sound completely different at home. You NEVER know till you set them up at home, period.
    I bought mine with no audition as there are no local dealers near by. It has worked out very well so far..

IWhat I think it comes down to is availability, and JBL fans are put in the position where they have no choice but to either buy without hearing first, or to buy something else because of the (much lamented here) lack of availability of the product in the retail market. In other words, can you truthfully say that if those PT800's were available for audition in a local outlet, you wouldn't have gone to listen to them prior to purchase? Be honest now

Best,
    - Mike
    Its not just JBL, there are dozens of ID only companies. And with all of them you have to buy first and then test drive 'em.
    But if there had been a store that had the PS within 150 miles I would have gone there first.
    But times are changing.

Ah, there it is. At least 50% (or much more, really) of the decision-making process is at home.
    Out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300311777851

There's an optimist. Supposedly NIB, but, but, but.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300311777851

There's an optimist. Supposedly NIB, but, but, but.....
    At 1300 this guy should be doing free shipping, which he is, but isn't really free shipping at that price.
    When I had my PS listed for around $500, some guy emailed me asking if I would except any offer. Told him no, and no free shipping, at that price.
    And now I have no desire to sell them anyway.

Mike Ronesia
    I just picked up two more PT800's and PC600 from TDome Audio solutions in SoCal to go with the two I got earlier. Now I will have a Performance Series 5.0 setup to go with my two L8400 subs. They are being shipped and should be here in a few weeks. I'm so ready for some 5.1 music...

As much as I'd like a couple of PS1400's to finish it off they are out of budget for now. Things change so maybe someday.

Thread Information