Page 79 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    From the J. Gordon Holt review cited many, many pages ago:

That's from page 2 of this Ultimate AV article. http://ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/31/index.html
    I've read this review before and it's what gave me the idea of the inverted placement. He mentions stability issues but doesn't emply that there are any SQ reasons not to do this that I could pick up on. Not sure how they would mount? Maybe I just need to move the light switches...dang those concrete walls.

80sKid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    I've read this review before and it's what gave me the idea of the inverted placement. He mentions stability issues but doesn't emply that there are any SQ reasons not to do this that I could pick up on. Not sure how they would mount? Maybe I just need to move the light switches...dang those concrete walls.
    You would either need to buy or build wall mounted shelves (and secure the speaker to them (likely requiring that you add a hole to the rear panel), or create a bracket to hang them with, which screws onto the existing threaded holes on the base of the PT800's (which would end up on the top, of course).

Please tell me you're not contemplating buying speakers based solely on reviews and what's written on this forum?

As for whether or not it's a good time to buy, well, it really doesn't matter if you buy them and hate the sound. Reviews and other's experience can be a helpful initial guide, but the ultimate deciding factor is your ears. Granted, I'll be the first person to admit it is exceptionally difficult to track down JBL's to audition, but ya simply can't buy speakers unheard unless the retailer has a fairly flexible audition period.

Once you've heard the speakers, and decided you are enamored with the sound (as you should be if you're buying them) then what's around the corner becomes irrelevant because you are already firmly in love with your setup.**

**That is until you hear something else that truly sounds better or you can afford to upgrade

Best,
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by natelabo View Post
    I been reading this thread extensively and it seems that the Performance Series speakers are an excellent option for someone that is coming from the older Studio Series but can't afford the jump into the Arrays or Synthesis Systems. Is this the general consensus? What I am wondering or actually scared of is there something better around the corner? I was reading about the new LS series but from reviews and pricing they seem to offer slightly less performance and are cheaper. I read somewhere that the Performance line is discontinued. I have also searched and saw that few parts are left... Do you guys think its a good time to buy or should I hold off and see what the next round holds? What would you value a 7.2 system at 6 - PT800's, 2 - PS1400's, and a PC600 all in relatively good condition?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Please tell me you're not contemplating buying speakers based solely on reviews and what's written on this forum?
    I basically use the forums and reviews I find as a base point... I will be auditioning them if and when I decide to purchase. I do disagree on purchasing specifically when you are enamored with the sound. I believe that does become the case when we are talking about $10,000+ speakers at retail and a dispensable budget. But I am searching in the used realm as a replacement to my Studio Series. I need to factor in longetivity (actual existence of parts in case of damage), actually being able to find the product at a excellent deal and also the factoring the rate that technology is increasing (10.2 setup anyone?) ... I know I'm going to get flamed for this.... The sound is kind of on the back burner I just feel that once your purchasing at a resonable level that almost everything is going to sound pretty damn good. Now I know this doesn't always hold true. But it makes a lot easier on me than weighing all of the options that exist. When it comes to expensive speakers I have many other issues that aren't going to change and aren't helping. Specifically a new house or a better room to hold a home theater. Neither of which is coming soon. You may have noticed how I only mentioned other JBL Series. That is self imposed, my first set of speakers were JBL I plan on sticking with them. It just makes it easier to limit myself or else I would always be in a perpetual state of shopping. At that point I don't think I would ever have a theater system...

80sKid
    I've bought my share of used speakers unheard, because there is a dearth of hi-fi dealers in my area. So I would make a purchase decision based on the comments and frequency response curves in reviews. It's allowed me to evaluate speakers I had no access to otherwise. But I only do this if I think it won't be a big deal to "re-sell" them if I don't like them, with little to no money lost. (Although I have typically ended up losing some money.) And of course you have to be willing to deal with the resale process, boxing them up, etc.

Time alligned baffle

I've been comparing my PT800/PS1400 stacks to my L250 in my HT system. One of the differences I note seems to be related to the time-aligned baffle of the L250. Although the PS clearly has an edge in precision and dispersion, it lacks that little something extra that time-alignment seems to give.

Has anyone experimented with trying to mount the PT800 on the PS1400 with an appropriate slope of the baffle? Seems like it might be easy to arrange. What would be the correct angle? Or is this just a stupid idea?

One needs to measure the difference between the depth of the mid-bass and the depth of the tweeter. The difference is 2" so that's what the tilt needs to be so there is a vertical line running from the voice coil to voice coil.

So from a vertical line from the face of the mid-bass, the flange of the tweeter needs to be 2" behind.
    Last edited by jblsound; 04-30-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: add
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    One needs to measure the difference between the depth of the mid-bass and the depth of the tweeter. If the difference is 3" (guessing) then that's what the tilt needs to be so there is a vertical line running from the voice coil to voice coil
    That makes perfect sense. Do you think it's worth chasing?

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    That makes perfect sense. Do you think it's worth chasing?
    I've never tried it, but with the way I've got the PT800 mounted to my SUB1500, I'd just have to loosen the 4 bolts, just enough to be able to stick a wedge under the front to get that 2".
    I didn't measure the depth of the midrange, but guessing it would fall in line.

I figure that it takes about 1/2" to 0 wedge under the bottom of the tower to give that 2" offset.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Some things to consider:

The PT800/PS1400 stack already has a predetermined alignment setback. This is not an accidental placement.

The L250/250Ti enclosures are built to keep the Ti tweeter 90 degrees to the horizontal so they aim direct at the listener. (This is less critical for the cone-shaped drivers).

The PT800's tweeter is in an EOS Waveguide. Tilting the enclosure back changes its orientation and moves the dispersion pattern up toward the ceiling.

They're your units so you can do whatever you want. I'd leave them alone.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    I've never tried it, but with the way I've got the PT800 mounted to my SUB1500, I'd just have to loosen the 4 bolts, just enough to be able to stick a wedge under the front to get that 2".
    I didn't measure the depth of the midrange, but guessing it would fall in line.

I figure that it takes about 1/2" to 0 wedge under the bottom of the tower to give that 2" offset.
    1st I'd want to know the exact measurements from the baffle to the voice coils on each driver. Not much chance that they will all line up exactly. A washer or 2 on top of or under the PS1400 posts would provide some tilt. Rubber would allow adjustment. I suppose a gasket under either the tweet or mid would allow adjustment in that plane.

They're your units so you can do whatever you want. I'd leave them alone.
    No, you'd sell them.

I know I'm messing with a good thing, but it's not something that can't be un-done.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    No, you'd sell them.
    And I'll be shipping some more out soon.

Then I'll only have nine or ten PT800s, one PC600, four PS1400s, and three HTPS400s. I'll practically be out of them!

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes
    I know I'm messing with a good thing, but it's not something that can't be un-done.
    True enough. My guess--and it's only a guess--is that the bottom should come forward, not the top go backward. I'd bet that the tweeter is closer to or spot on to the correct position that the 904Ti and 908Ti are.
    Out.

True enough. My guess--and it's only a guess--is that the bottom should come forward, not the top go backward. I'd bet that the tweeter is closer to or spot on to the correct position that the 904Ti and 908Ti are.
    Interesting. As I recall, the bottom plate on the PT800 could be slotted to allow forward/backward adjustment. But it's already sounding like a big project.

Mike Ronesia
    And I'll be shipping some more out soon.

Thread Information