Page 74 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
    If were to go with the following system:
    L&R main: PT800 & PS1400 stacked (full range)
    C: PC 600
    Rears & sides: (4) PT800's
    Subs: 2 L8400P's

What kind of power is needed?

Currently I have an h/K AVR745, 85w/ch. I'll probably use as the pre if I get an amp.

I have been looking at Audiogon and spotted a B&K 200.7 amp 200w x 7 for $1400, decent deal.

Or could I use a 125w x 7 amp, perhaps the JBL AvA7/lexicon GX7 if the price was similar?
    You cannot over-power this setup. The more you can swing the happier you will be. 200WPC minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Certainly no glitter... just performance, unlike the Performance Series which is covered in glitter instead of real wood veneer.

Widget
    I guess the PS vinyl would be a step up from the old L212 black painted PB boxes.

But then the L212 wrap-around grilles were nice. Wish I could get some of that grille material, but none to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    As noted numerous times, I have three Performance Series set ups: 7.1, 5.1, and 2.1 versions. (Sorry to bore everyone with repeat info.)

The 7.1 HT uses six PT800s, a PC600, two PS1400s, and two HTPS400s. It's in a dedicated, windowless 4,592 cubic ft. room with solid walls all 'round.
    I think you should sell off all your PT800s for cheap and buy some Salk SongTowers, you know you want them, so you can better fit into the crowd over at AVS.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
    If were to go with the following system:
    L&R main: PT800 & PS1400 stacked (full range)
    C: PC 600
    Rears & sides: (4) PT800's
    Subs: 2 L8400P's

What kind of power is needed?
    The PT800 are rated for 250w, so any quality amp of 200w ~ 400w is good, especially considering the space in your basement.
    Make no mistake about how much sound will radiate from those six 8" mid-bass drivers, and the dual 6" center.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post

I think you should sell off all your PT800s for cheap and buy some Salk SongTowers, you know you want them, so you can better fit into the crowd over at AVS.
    Actually those Salk Song Towers have very fine cabinets with custom, real wood veneer finishes. However, the sound is not up to the look.

To me the Performance Series looks just fine, and I'm not so enamored of wood that I'd willingly pay extra for it. The finishes on the Array Series look very nice--almost as nice as the Songs--but if JBL made a black vinyl version that was $500 less, that's what I'd buy.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Actually those Salk Song Towers have very fine cabinets with custom, real wood veneer finishes. However, the sound is not up to the look.
    I dare you to say that over at AVS on the SST thread.

To me the Performance Series looks just fine, and I'm not so enamored of wood that I'd willingly pay extra for it. The finishes on the Array Series look very nice--almost as nice as the Songs--but if JBL made a black vinyl version that was $500 less, that's what I'd buy.
    I like the look of the PS, very good vinyl covering. But I could always do like my custom L212 and veneer 'em with Ash, cherry, or whatever.

And if I was buying speakers and had it down to two systems @ same price, one w/wood cab and one vinyl and I thought the vinyl model had a better sound I'd get it. On the other hand, if they both were the same as far as sound @ same price, then I'd get the wood model.

I've been wondering about how to improve the PS1400s. The bass that I'm getting from them does not seem to be quite as good as that of the 240Ti that I used to have. I don't think that they are a significant upgrade from my XPL200s either. I was thinking of starting by taking out all of the electronics and re-tuning the box to match with the larger space inside. What do you guys think of that idea.

What would you do with the electronics? Put them in a self-contained enclosure?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    What would you do with the electronics? Put them in a self-contained enclosure?
    Throw them in the trash. I have an extra power amp here that would work nicely. And a few active crossovers to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Throw them in the trash. I have an extra power amp here that would work nicely. And a few active crossovers to play with.
    I hope you're kidding, but if not, you have a PM.
    Out.

RIP 2009
    Don - at least let me try them first! Maybe we can work something out? I'd at least like to hear what they sound like with my system before you do anything to them, out of curiosity.

John

I've been wondering about how to improve the PS1400s. The bass that I'm getting from them does not seem to be quite as good as that of the 240Ti that I used to have. I don't think that they are a significant upgrade from my XPL200s either.
    Put them in larger boxes. I have a pair in 4 cubic ft. and they work just fine. Run them in a box program to see what they can do in larger volumes.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    --but if JBL made a black vinyl version that was $500 less, that's what I'd buy.
    Ask and you shall receive.

A pair of SAM1/2 with passive networks retail for $9K That is quite a saving over the $11K+ for a pair of Array 1400s.

Widget

I've been wondering about how to improve the PS1400s. The bass that I'm getting from them does not seem to be quite as good as that of the 240Ti that I used to have. I don't think that they are a significant upgrade from my XPL200s either. I was thinking of starting by taking out all of the electronics and re-tuning the box to match with the larger space inside. What do you guys think of that idea.
    Stop looking at them as "subs". They are designed to be mated to a PT800, sub functions are secondary. If you want a real sub, build or buy a real sub. Changing the PS1400 from it's original design will alter the relationship with the PT800 and then you don't have a PS system any more.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Stop looking at them as "subs". They are designed to be mated to a PT800, sub functions are secondary. If you want a real sub, build or buy a real sub. Changing the PS1400 from it's original design will alter the relationship with the PT800 and then you don't have a PS system any more.
    Just about all JBLs have been designed with some kind of compromise, if for no other reason than the marketing dept. having its say. And taking any JBL system and reworking it can provide improved performance.

4313B has stated, "And Greg has mentioned several times that the PS1400 is a bit too small in volume (2.8 cu ft) to have the same bottom end that the Citation 7.4 (3.4 cu ft or) or L250/250Ti (4.0 cu ft) had; It is designed to look "right" with the PT800 and it does".

So that means the PS1400 was designed more for looks than total performance, not counting how it mates with the 908 at the top end. But putting it into a bigger box and changing the tuning in no way lessens the overall sound, just the opposite, it would make it better.

Other changes that could be made is building a 250Ti type of box for the entire system to be housed, or building a C-C networks. The 250 type boxes would make it more high end in apprearance and the C-C network would make it more high end in performance.

At present JBL reserves the C-C networks for the K2 and Everest models, which I would consider to be no compromise systems, for many reasons.

I've been wondering about how to improve the PS1400s. The bass that I'm getting from them does not seem to be quite as good as that of the 240Ti that I used to have. I don't think that they are a significant upgrade from my XPL200s either.
    Back to this. If you look at the 2214, 128H and the Le14H-3 they are all competent woofers. Runing them in the same volumes they are really close so if you want improvement below 30Hz either you get them into a bigger box or you look for a different woofer. Substituting won't do it. As a matter of fact the 128H and Le14 have the edge on a 2214 in the same volume and tunning. Here they are in 3.5 cubic ft tuned to 29Hz.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information