Page 7 of 143 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Okey-Dohkey ! Thanks for clearing the haze !

So it's even better / a win-win situation for both you and your buddy .

I'll be awaiting your reaction/opinion once it's all dialed in . When do we get to hear your buddies reactions ?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    These were quite a buy, so there wasn't much delay in jumping on them.
    As were your proposed subs! Can't beat those, except with a stick maybe. So now we are looking at a Cherry finish on the subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    As were your proposed subs! Can't beat those, except with a stick maybe. So now we are looking at a Cherry finish on the subs?
    Well, umm, actually, hell yes.

Perhaps one of the problems with the Performance Series with respect to this forum is that they don't employ any horns/compression drivers, and they don't suck up huge amounts of real estate.
    I am/have been, of course, a big horn/comp driver fan, so its charting new/old territory to go back to a DR.
    However, I haven't really paid attention/listened to anything modern for some time. There were some DR's at MAF I listened to; the Omega speakers in particular seemed like a decent unit for the dough, but really, this is going to be an eye opener/interesting for me. Now I have a new home in mind for the (future) 4430's; the living room.......possibly in the loft, firing down into the living room. This might actually sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Okey-Dohkey ! Thanks for clearing the haze !

So it's even better / a win-win situation for both you and your buddy .

I'll be awaiting your reaction/opinion once it's all dialed in . When do we get to hear your buddies reactions ?

Dialed in could take awhile. The room is smallish, which doesn't seem like a problem with these so much, but I've got some sorting through to do.
    Giskards post above refers to a pair of sub1500 cab's he is working on for me. I'll need them before being able to get the system rolling, as I have sold/given away all my subs now.
    Also, my current Yamaha 5.1 receiver is not up to snuff for this gear. I'm toying with a new receiver, or a processor, since I have some decent amps already.
    As for the buddy, he has no frame of reference other than his current toy speakers, so it'll be interesting. He needs a real sub(s), too.

Smile

Dialed in could take awhile. The room is smallish, which doesn't seem like a problem with these so much, but I've got some sorting through to do..
    Yes, you'll find it does take a little time to do this, but the speakers are easy enough to move around (when they're not docked, of course). They will easily take 200W and you'll wonder if you should give them more, even in a smallish room.

My room is approximately 24' in depth, and I sometimes wonder what "doubling up" on speakers and amps would do, despite my GF's opinion that it's already too loud most of the time. Honestly, I've never gone to 0dB on my pre/pro's volume control, so who knows. The amps and speakers seem like they're operating at half effort, and it's really, really loud so I chicken out. But some day...

These things have so much midrange and HF power! and the subs are pretty awesome, too, but I see you might have a better solution (below).

Giskards post above refers to a pair of sub1500 cab's he is working on for me. I'll need them before being able to get the system rolling, as I have sold/given away all my subs now.
    Also, my current Yamaha 5.1 receiver is not up to snuff for this gear. I'm toying with a new receiver, or a processor, since I have some decent amps already.
    Since there appears to be no smilie for this, I'll just print it.

:envy:

I want to hear those sub1500s in this set up. Lima isn't too far from Maumee, so when I come to see my Mom in the late spring, maybe I can drive down for a listen? If you don't have them yet, maybe I can help Giskard load up his Freightliner and bring them down to help you install them?

No smilie for this either:
    :begging:
    Out.

Obsolete
    Is your buddy near you? I have a pair of 121A subs that I sure would like to have someone try with the PT800's... Honestly though, I'd rather you try them since I know you wouldn't blow them up.

Yes, he is near me. I have worked with him for 20 years. Pretty conservative guy. Non-smoke, non-drink, h.s. basketball coach at the local Christian school..............
    He won't blow them up, not that kinda guy. But anyway, I'd guarantee them...........
    Maybe you oughta pick up the 800's/600 at the same time and take them up north for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    These things have so much midrange and HF power! and the subs are pretty awesome, too, but I see you might have a better solution (below).

Since there appears to be no smilie for this, I'll just print it.

:envy:

I want to hear those sub1500s in this set up. Lima isn't too far from Maumee, so when I come to see my Mom in the late spring, maybe I can drive down for a listen? If you don't have them yet, maybe I can help Giskard load up his Freightliner and bring them down to help you install them?

No smilie for this either:
    :begging:
    I think the combo of PT800 and sub1500 could be nice, but Giskard has pointed out the potential for a mismatch, with the subs overpowering the mains.
    Anyway, do you use these any/some in 2 channel mode?
    You are welcome to come down, provided I have it ready to roll, but again, all my available rooms are small, and don't generally do a good system justice. Unfortunately.
    I am planning a remodel to address some of that, but it is a ways down the road.
    I could temporarily take over the living room, but that would only lend itself to 2 channel, as the big screen and gear are in the basement.

Cool

I think the combo of PT800 and sub1500 could be nice, but Giskard has pointed out the potential for a mismatch, with the subs overpowering the mains.
    Anyway, do you use these any/some in 2 channel mode?
    The primary reason I have them docked in front is to get maximum musical pleasure out of them. If HT were the top priority, I'd likely separate them and mount the PT800s on the wall. That'd also give me more flexibility with sub placement.

When used for two channel music, I'm basically driving a bi-amped (or is it passively bi-amped? or active b-wiring? or who gives a sh*t?) speaker pair, since the PS1400 is running its own 400W amp and the PT800 is being driven by a dedicated 215W external amp.

The crossover point between the two is actually contolled by the pre/pro in my case, before the signal gets to the amps.

This makes for a heady combination: musicality, presence, and power. It sounds different than your classic speakers for sure, and after a while you'll decide if you like it or not. IMO, it's quite an improvement.

Classic speakers sound "heavy" and "pushy" to me in comparison, though that's the sound I want when I get in a Machine Head kind of mood. What do those words mean? Hell if I know exactly; those are just my impressions when I listen. Maybe I mean the classic speakers sound, well, old. But, hey, I'm going on 54, and I'm still beautiful, so I'm not knocking them, just making a subjective judgment.

I am planning a remodel to address some of that, but it is a ways down the road.
    I could temporarily take over the living room, but that would only lend itself to 2 channel, as the big screen and gear are in the basement.
    I worked for a number of years in painting, wall papering, and drywall as an undergraduate student with a wife and three kids. Then we bought a farm in MI with an 1854 vintage brick house on it, so I knocked down walls, built walls, installed electricity, plumbing, heat, and cables, replaced windows, etc. for the next 20 years. I've still got a big hammer and a monster wrecker bar. Shall I bring them?

I love to knock things down.
    Out.

I'm good at knocking down; I suck at reassembly.

yeah, it is scary to think of how much I WON'T have invested in this rig. Pretty decent on the value scale. That is something that is possible in audio, which is not as possible in most other endeavors, IMO.

MJC
    Dialed in could take awhile. The room is smallish, which doesn't seem like a problem with these so much, but I've got some sorting through to do.
    As for the buddy, he has no frame of reference other than his current toy speakers, so it'll be interesting. He needs a real sub(s), too.
    Having recently purchased a HK 635 receiver, I would suggest it for your system. The EZ Set EQ system works great with the sub1500 and really dials in my L212s. So I would think it would work really well for your system.

Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    Having recently purchased a HK 635 receiver, I would suggest it for your system. The EZ Set EQ system works great with the sub1500 and really dials in my L212s. So I would think it would work really well for your system.

Unobtanium drivers land in Bakers basement.........

PT800's arrived while I was on vacation; my buddy that found the deal took the unopened pair and the center. The floor models are mine. Missing metal plate on the bottoms, some chipping/damage on the edges/corners, grill fabric pulled away from frames (just like on the PC600 I got). Speakers are smaller than I somehow imagined them, and relatively light, thanks in part to neo magnets.

Oh well. They play. They didn't blow the 8 inch while demoing, at least.
    Had to hook them up in the HT so the kids could watch "The Incredibles" DVD. Hooked up to the Yamaha low-middle line receiver. Ooops, no subs!!!!!! Gave away all my old powered subs to friends, sold 2245's and cabs, etc. etc.
    What to do?
    Lessee, Giskard is working on the future sub1500 cabs, and finishing up the 2235 recones that will go in the 4430's.
    What the hell, I'll drop a sub1500 in the 4430's so at least the LF can go somewhere.
    USe mounting kit, run speaker wire out through port, 10 minute project, kids are waiting in chairs with popcorn...................
    NOT WORKING! sub1500 NOT WORKING!!! ARRRGGGHHHH!! Uninstall, speaker wire is pulled out of terminal, strip, reinsert, start movie. Whoa, lots of bass, (and of course in a box tuned for low 40's), too much bass, too much bass. Reduce LF Dolby Digital setting by 8db, add 2nd sub1500 to other 4430, watch movie. Whoa. Too much bass. Fun, but too much.
    Lessee, first time listening to both PT800's and sub1500's, in one shot.
    Once the sub1500's are in the right box and (hopefully) level matched, I'll weigh in on the PT800's.
    Came down the next day when everyone was gone, listened to Hammond B3 in stereo mode, no bass level control in stereo mode. PT800's sound good. Whoa, too much pedal bass..........
    PT800's are on top of 4430s, and sliding around from the bass vibrations. Gotta get the subs done right and set up a really good 2 channel setup and see how she goes. Probably should post a photo of 4430's and PT800's together when complete. Friday, day off, time for more music!

Thread Information