Page 6 of 143 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

THANKS Titanium Dome ! for all those nice component pics .

- They show a nice continuance of that "engineered by JBL" quality - that we have come to love and expect.

- Plus somewhat, a "tip of the hat" towards that previous legacy driver, the le30 .

<. Earl K

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The irony of it is I couldn't find a place to buy them at full price. Earlier in the thread I recounted my failure to get any authorized dealers to sell them to me, which would have cost $12k+ with the extra PT800s and PS1400. So eBay and dealer returns to the rescue!
    Ya, I remember that. I assume, by the pic, that you have at least two docked to the subs. Do you have the surrounds mounted on the walls or mounted on their stands?
    I find that the shallow depth of the L212s, which is about the same as the PT800s, makes them very easy to mount to the walls. The side units I have mounted upside down, with the tweeter slightly higher than the tweeter on the two mains, mounted on their bases. The two rears I have mounted at the same elevation as the sides, but right side up.

Layout

As you'll see in the attached diagram, I have an unusual room. It's 24 ft. long and 17 ft. wide at the front, 12 ft. wide at the back. This helps in some ways, as it breaks down the room reflections a bit, though it'd be better if there were no right angles at all I think.

On the angled side, there's an opening right about at the point of the first reflections, and it extends to the point where the right side surround needs to be placed. As a result of the opening and the angled wall, I can't mount the PT800 on the wall there, so it's on a stand. The left side surround is on the wall, as are the rears. They're all slightly above the height of the front PT800s which you've correctly identified as docked on PS1400s.

The docked speakers are toed in. The PC600 is centered between them, and it's on a stand that brings the 906TI drivers about level with the 908TIs in the PT800s. Obvioulsy the PC600's 904TI and the tweeter are several inches lower than their PT800 conterparts. The third PS1400 is used exclusively for LFE and is in the middle of the side wall.

There's a table/trap on the side wall at about the same location as the opening on the angled wall. There's also a bass trap in the "hot" corner in front.

The window and the two sliding glass doors are challenging, both for light and sound. They have darkening and dampening covers when the room is in serious use. Otherwise, they're left open for light and access to the front balcony and the rear deck. My African violets love the indirect sun, and they also serve to break up the liveliness of the back wall. There are 24 large violets back there from the floor to the six feet level.

The left rear surround has to be a bit out of place because of the location of the sliding door. As a result it's a little too much in the corner, but better in the corner than in my skull if I come inside in a hurry. Ouch!

I think I mentioned earlier that the PT800 and PC600 come with wall mounting hardware included. Optional brackets allow them to be corner mounted. I've been tempted to try that at least with the rear surrounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Out.

Woo-hoo! And you thought this thread was dead!

Thanks to Giskard's request, I have another post with minutiae that only an engineer might love. Here's a PDF of the grille dimensions for the Performance Series.

Isn't this the most you've ever known about a speaker you've never seen, let alone heard?

Happy New Year!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Out.

Obsolete
    Hey thanks! It appears the grilles might just work with a JBL fifteen then...

Woo-hoo! And you thought this thread was dead!

Thanks to Giskard's request, I have another post with minutiae that only an engineer might love. Here's a PDF of the grille dimensions for the Performance Series.

Isn't this the most you've ever known about a speaker you've never seen, let alone heard?

Happy New Year!

It's not dead, it just smells funny!
    My buddy found some PT800's and a 600 through a dealer. We bought 'em today, so I should have a pair of PT800's to listen to after I get back from vacation. Would like to find a matching cherry center, now.
    He'll jump from some Cambridge Sound HT system to PT800/600 fronts/center! HA!

Smile

Wow! Someone's been busy.
    Out.

Okay, I'm still confused. Is there a base provided for when you are not docking the PT800? I mean, other than the wall/corner mount?

These were found in a similar manner to yours, at a similar savings.
    I would have bought more if they had had them.

Smile

The base, such as it is, is the heavy metal plate attached to the bottom of the speaker. This basically requires you to position them with the 8" driver at the bottom, though there are some placements where it's conceivable that placing the speakers upside down would make sense.

Also, I've noticed that one should be careful when placing the metal base on finished surfaces, as the metal can cause scratches. I put some medium weight felt under two of mine that sit on finished wood surfaces.

Because the metal plate has theaded holes in it, I've toyed with the idea of cutting, routing, and finishing some wooden bases and attaching them to the bottom of the PT800s with recessed screws. Alas, I'm better at thinking than doing, so for now they sit on felt.
    Out.

So they just sit flat on the bottom of the cabinet? I'm thinking of something to get them up off the floor.................guess I'll have to work on it. Anyway, you said I've been busy? Have you ever re-read your posts on these? LIke I WOULDN'T want them? Hell, you've been a one-man ad campaign.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    So they just sit flat on the bottom of the cabinet? I'm thinking of something to get them up off the floor.................guess I'll have to work on it.
    I've got the front L&R PT800s docked on two of the PS1400s, but the PC600 center is on a short speaker stand under my screen. The sides are on speaker stands as well, with the rears resting on wooden shelves. The PT800s are ear height in front and slightly higher on the sides and rear, while the PC600 drivers are maybe a foot lower due to the position of the screen.

If I owned this place, I'm certain I'd wall mount everything but the PS1400s and make the best of acoutstical treatments to really dial them in.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Anyway, you said I've been busy? Have you ever re-read your posts on these? LIke I WOULDN'T want them? Hell, you've been a one-man ad campaign.
    You know what they say: "There's no accounting for taste." I might be more like a one-man sonic train wreck. Remember, I'm the same guy who likes L7s, L5s, SVA1800s, and L100s among his JBLs. Except for the L100s which get talked about a lot (both + and -), you don't see many other people even admitting that they ever heard any of 'em, let alone own 'em.

So I hope the Performance Series doesn't become another casualty of the "Heritage Wars," where if it's not from the Great Years it can't be great. My feeling is that some terrific products get overlooked this way, and many of these speakers excel in ways the vintage gear cannot.

Okay, better duck now. Ouch! Try again.
    Out.

Obsolete
    So I hope the Performance Series doesn't become another casualty of the "Heritage Wars," where if it's not from the Great Years it can't be great. My feeling is that some terrific products get overlooked this way, and many of these speakers excel in ways the vintage gear cannot.
    Perhaps one of the problems with the Performance Series with respect to this forum is that they don't employ any horns/compression drivers, and they don't suck up huge amounts of real estate. Another real negative is that women actually like the way they look, i.e. they aren't ugly.

You might be right that some terrific products are being overlooked, especially by those who think JBL went to hell right after production of the < insert favorite model here > was cancelled. Oh well! Those in the know know that JBL is continually struggling to bring the best of breed products to market.

I may end up wall mounting the 800's on the front wall. It's concrete block.

Hmmmm, I'm really confused by your recent postings .

Mike, I thought you had already procured a single PC600 from a recent eBay auction.

- and your buddy found (&) bought a pair of PT800s & a PC600, though you mentioned "we" bought .

- So,, who took possesion of this find ? ( You or your buddy ? )

He'll jump from some Cambridge Sound HT system to PT800/600 fronts/center! HA
    - How is it that your buddy is jumping to the PT800/600 setup if you took possesion of the find ?

Would like to find a matching cherry center, now.
    - These PC600 and PT800(s) found by your buddy didn't match ?

Sorry for the confusion; yes, I bought a black ash center on ebay. I was planning on the black ash for the future PT800 purchase.
    My co-worker/buddy asked me a week ago what to do to upgrade his HT sound. I explained the Perf. Series. He got excited.
    He found a JBL retailer with 4 PT800's and one center, all in cherry. He bought the cherry center and two cherry PT800's, I bought the other two cherry PT800's.
    If they had had more, I would have bought two more 800's and a cherry center to match, and used the black one in the rear of a 6.1 setup. Make sense?
    These were quite a buy, so there wasn't much delay in jumping on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Hmmmm, I'm really confused by yout recent postings .

Mike, I thought you had already procured a single PC600 from a recent eBay auction.

- and your buddy found (&) bought a pair of PT800s & a PC600, though you mentioned "we" bought .

- So,, who took possesion of this find ? ( You or your buddy ? )

- How is it that your buddy is jumping to the PT800/600 setup if you took possesion of the find ?

- These PC600 and PT800(s) found by your buddy didn't match ?

Thread Information