Page 59 of 143 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Talking Speaking of subs

I just closed a deal on two more HTPS400s.

NOT this deal on AudiogoN: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ubw&1174228545

Rather, I paid about 1/3 the AudiogoN listing asking price, shipped.

Still available from JBL at $1999.99 each.

http://jbl.com/home/products/product...at=SUB&ser=HTE

And no hum.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I just closed a deal on two more HTPS400s.
    'Same guy? I was just about to try for the same kind of deal... Congrats!

Oh well - 'still got the LE14A's to play with...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    'Same guy? I was just about to try for the same kind of deal... Congrats!

Oh well - 'still got the LE14A's to play with...

John
    Actually was surprised he went for my offer, but... well, there it is. They arrive Friday.

I'm thinking about PT800 and HTPS400 separates crossed at THX 80Hz. vs. PT800/PS1400 stack at 130Hz.

MJC
    Actually was surprised he went for my offer, but... well, there it is. They arrive Friday.

I'm thinking about PT800 and HTPS400 separates crossed at THX 80Hz. vs. PT800/PS1400 stack at 130Hz.
    That will give you 3 HTPS400?
    A couple of questions about your room. How many cuft is it? And have you ever done a sub location check? That is setting a sub in the main listening position, running pink noise thru it, while walking around the room with a SPL meter to find the "hot spot(s)", you know where the meter reads the highest. And then placing the subs at those locations.
    With 3 of those subs that's 3kw total.
    I've got my two sub1500s in the hot spots, which is where the towers are, for a total of 1600w in a 3100cuft room, if the sliding doors to the DR are shut. Otherwise its much bigger. And at -20db on the main volume the average db at the seated position is 80~85 db and when those subs fire on explosions for MI III the sound is almost deafening. And its still nowhere near the THX reference of zero db @ the main volume setting.

ps, the 5 PT800s are getting 220wpc, from the Parasound amp, plus the two L212s getting 90wpc, from the H/K635

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    That will give you 3 HTPS400?
    A couple of questions about your room. How many cuft is it? And have you ever done a sub location check? That is setting a sub in the main listening position, running pink noise thru it, while walking around the room with a SPL meter to find the "hot spot(s)", you know where the meter reads the highest. And then placing the subs at those locations.
    With 3 of those subs that's 3kw total.
    It's nearly 5000 cu ft., odd shaped.

Yes, and I think I've described it either in this thread or another. The sub was checked with left, right, front, back, and up orientation. It always draws a comment when I'm crawling around, SPL meter in hand.

Inevitably, I'm led back to the Harman recommended positions, or very close to them.

I've got my two sub1500s in the hot spots, which is where the towers are, for a total of 1600w in a 3100cuft room, if the sliding doors to the DR are shut. Otherwise its much bigger. And at -20db on the main volume the average db at the seated position is 80~85 db and when those subs fire on explosions for MI III the sound is almost deafening. And its still nowhere near the THX reference of zero db @ the main volume setting.

ps, the 5 PT800s are getting 220wpc, from the Parasound amp, plus the two L212s getting 90wpc, from the H/K635
    The plan is to start with two HTPS400s, center front and center back. Later, I'll try four subs, three HTPS400s and a PS1400 in the center positions on each wall. If that seems to work better, then I might be looking for a fourth HTPS400. If two seem to work better, then I might be selling an HTPS400 and a PS1400.

Assuming one doesn't go nuts with the volume control, I think 5000+ Watts is reasonable for HT.

Oh yeah, I'll probably move a PT800/PS1400 pair into the dungeon as part of the 4-way shrine.

MJC
    I understand all that, and have had as many as 5 subs in the HT. With the sub1500s at the mid-points of the side walls and the three 12" subs up front, one for each LCR.

But that arrangement looked just too much like a cluster f.
    And then I thought, I should put the best of the subs(the 1500s) up front, stacked with, first the L212s and now with the PT800s, when I remembered that those two locations were the two hot spots in that room. Something I forgot about when I started to play around with multiple subs, trying many locations.
    But I'm still curious as to how big your room is.

RIP 2009
    ...then I might be selling an HTPS400 and a PS1400.
    Keep me in mind. I'd *really* like a pair of the 400's - their smaller size would fit my room better.

Let us know how those aluminum cones sound.

John

(snip)
    But I'm still curious as to how big your room is.
    It's nearly 5000 cu ft., odd shaped.

Yes, and I think I've described it either in this thread or another. The sub was checked with left, right, front, back, and up orientation. It always draws a comment when I'm crawling around, SPL meter in hand.

Inevitably, I'm led back to the Harman recommended positions, or very close to them.

The plan is to start with two HTPS400s, center front and center back. Later, I'll try four subs, three HTPS400s and a PS1400 in the center positions on each wall. If that seems to work better, then I might be looking for a fourth HTPS400. If two seem to work better, then I might be selling an HTPS400 and a PS1400.

Assuming one doesn't go nuts with the volume control, I think 5000+ Watts is reasonable for HT.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Keep me in mind. I'd *really* like a pair of the 400's - their smaller size would fit my room better.

(snip)

John
    You'll be first on my list.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by TiDome
    First, we keep crossing each others posts this morning.

Yes, you and I are about at the same point, watts/cuft. I'm about 3000w in 3100cuft. But when the sliding doors are open, which is most of the time, its over 6000 cuft. I could add another sub or two, again, with the biggest only 250w. But it seems to more than good as it is.

When I had the sub1500s in the corners RF/LB it sounded a bit disjointed.
    At the mid-points of the side walls was much better.

First, we keep crossing each others posts this morning.

Yes, you and I are about at the same point, watts/cuft. I'm about 3000w in 3100cuft. But when the sliding doors are open, which is most of the time, its over 6000 cuft. I could add another sub or two, again, with the biggest only 250w. But it seems to more than good as it is.

When I had the sub1500s in the corners RF/LB it sounded a bit disjointed.
    At the mid-points of the side walls was much better.
    It's really convenient with the FAA1000.5 amps to hook up the PT800s and PC600. I use four channels on one and three channels on the other. They're an easy 200W/ch, and leaving one or two channels idling cuts down on heat and leaves a lot of headroom in the regulating power supply.

Still, I've been wondering what my newer Hafler amps would do at 600W/ch. JBL recommends a max of 250W for the PT800, so 600W seems like overkill, although I'd never drive them to full output. I have some new Haflers with 300W/ch, too, but that's not much of a gain over 200W/ch, and the FAA1000.5 is really a Hafler in disguise anyway.

So, a 5% gain @ 300W, a 20% gain @ 600W...

At 400W, I sometimes wonder if the PS1400 is a bit underpowered. (JBL does classify it as a medium power driver.) The Studio L's L8400P sub has 600W. The HTPS400 at 1000W is well endowed.

All this talk of Watts is probably overdone, but I enjoy it nonetheless, and I've heard the difference clean, plentiful power can make. My L7s performed well at 55W/ch with my old Kenwood, but they were super with the 220W/ch Soundcraftsmen.

MJC
    All this talk of Watts is probably overdone, but I enjoy it nonetheless, and I've heard the difference clean, plentiful power can make. My L7s performed well at 55W/ch with my old Kenwood, but they were super with the 220W/ch Soundcraftsmen.
    Yes, I agree in having clean, plentiful power. Unless someone just cranks it all the way up, there is less chance of blowing a speaker with too much power than driving an under powered amp to distortion.
    As for subs, and I've been listening to them for 28 years, I really like these sub1500s, with plenty of power at 800w/ea. Their sound is beautiful.
    Although, I'd like to get my hands on one of the HTPS400 at some point in time.
    Last year when I was talking to Ron Rouse, who is a top end guy for Synthesis on the West Coast, told me that the installers were all using the HTPS400 instead of the PS1400.

Proof positive

The two HTPS400 subs arrived today. UPS left them where I asked, so I had to lug them down to the dungeon. Arrgh, these little bastiges are heavy for their size (and after two Long Island iced teas). I hope I didn't scratch the trunk on the TC Maserati where, like a moron, I sat them down rather than bend down to the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information