Page 57 of 143 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Well... you guys convinced me This afternoon I bought two titanium dome JBL Synthesis S4VC front speakers and one very nice titanium dome JBL Synthesis S4HC center. These are the THX Ultra 2 certified in-wall versions of the Performance PT800 series.

Turns out the guy selling them works for the official importer and distributor of JBL in my country and apparently got a nice discount it. Ofcourse I told him to give me a call if he gets a similar deal on a synthesis pre/pro heeeheee. He threw in two like-new JBL HT1D dipoles that he had no need for anymore as an added bonus. Everything came with the original boxes, packing foam, manuals etc. Just driving home watching the "synthesis" label on the boxes in my rear view mirror was worth the whole trip already hehe.

I already have two JBL HT1F speakers in my room (currently serving as rear surrounds) and a couple of JBL subs so this whole package will make a very nice 7.2 surround setup once I move everything into my appartment me thinks

This evening I unpacked the boxes just to get a small "taste" before putting them in storage again (It'll be a couple of months until I can move back into my old place and I can't set them up properly here). Well what can I say. These speakers are absolutely stunning. They looked larger in this room than I had imagined they would but still.. truly stunning works of art. And it's been a while since I've said that about a recent JBL product.

Although they are in-wall versions they seem to work great in a front or on-wall setup too and to be honest, with the grilles off, I think I prefer the matte black looks over the PT800's veneer

I bought this system because it would allow me to fully integrate them in the room making them virtually invisible, and to be honest that was the main "selling point" to my girlfriend :-) but now that I've spent the past few hours staring at these hypnotic domes in amazement and grinning like an idiot, I think I may need to reconsider the whole invisibility thing. They are just too pretty .

After running some test noise and adjusting the setup on my receiver using a db meter I played various different music tracks, dvd's and DTS audio discs and was very impressed with the sound. Like some of the reviewers said they don't sound "metallic" at all in fact, in fact they sound consideribly more "relaxed" and open than my JBL 4312A series which kept ging me headaches with phase and spatiality related problems. No such issues here. The sound is no longer "pinned" to the speaker and chorals, music and ambient sounds in particular are far more 3D than I've ever experienced before. I did find the lows slightly lacking, but that is logical when comparing them with my "fullrange" 43 series. Once I added a sub things sounded right again though slightly muddy in the LFE (due to the crappy subs ). This was less of an issue with the 4312A's as they had a more bottom range and provided a larger part of the bass content. Still. The whole setup sounds mighty impressive as I am sure my next door neighbours will agree too hehehe. Too bad I can't listen to them longer right now, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to make up for that once they are installed in my own place :-p Highly recommended speakers.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Highly recommended speakers.
    Yep.

Thanks for the update.

MJC
    Ever since I saw those on the JBL site, I've wondered how much difference, if any, there is between the Synthesis S4VC and the PT800. considering the in-walls are THX certified.
    But to answer that question would require someone having both in the same room.

Well... you guys convinced me
    (snip)

We're glad you saw the light--the light of a soft, beautiful Ti glow from an inverted dome.

Well what can I say. These speakers are absolutely stunning. They looked larger in this room than I had imagined they would but still.. truly stunning works of art. And it's been a while since I've said that about a recent JBL product.

Although they are in-wall versions they seem to work great in a front or on-wall setup too and to be honest, with the grilles off, I think I prefer the matte black looks over the PT800's veneer

I bought this system because it would allow me to fully integrate them in the room making them virtually invisible, and to be honest that was the main "selling point" to my girlfriend :-) but now that I've spent the past few hours staring at these hypnotic domes in amazement and grinning like an idiot, I think I may need to reconsider the whole invisibility thing. They are just too pretty .
    (snip)

That is a dilemma. I have to put the grilles on when watching movies since my eyes otherwise are drawn to the drivers. They really are pretty, shiny things.

Is there a chance you can get an HTPS400 12" sub from the same source? That dynamo in a small cube will really clean up the LF sound, and it's got a ton of power.

It also has more WAF/GAF than the larger PS1400.

MJC
    Dome,
    Did you ever get around to trying a PT800 for the center? If you did, what was your impressions, compared to the PC600?

After the prompting of your post, yes I did.

I have to say, there's precious little difference in sound. Of course, the highs and mids seem virtually identical. One major difference is that the PT800's front baffle is 10" wide while the PC600's is 6.5" wide.

My subjective impression is that this narrowing of the baffle helps the 904Ti a little. The TM025 with its EOS Waveguide sounds the same to me on either board.

I'm never sure if I like the look of separate woofers like the 906Tis sitting on either side of a center channel speaker. I think I understand the technical and marketing impulses behind this arrangement, and I believe there are circumstances in which it is an improvement and others in which it is not.

In general, I'd guess your situation is better served by a PT800 in the center. In my case, I've got a pretty wide front, and with the PT800 in place in the center there seemed to be the slightest bit of picket fence effect in the lower mids. The highs were seamless.

The PC600 seemed to fill the space better, eliminating the picket fence, but at the same time, there was a little less precision in the lower mids as they were broadened by the 906Tis. However, the source material made a major difference. Movies and dialogue were well served by the PC600. Multichannel music was improved when the PT800 was in place.

Bottom line, I could very well be imagining all of this, because I hear what I see. I don't lug out the gear and measure this shit unless I'm really motivated. Some people love it. I find it a PITA. Add the shots of Sambuca I was taking while I did this*, and it's all suspect. OTOH, few people have heard these speakers in as many configurations and with as many different equipment sets and source material as I have, so maybe my opinion is worth a little. :dont-know

*One of my life's goals is to enjoy my leisure time.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 01-21-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: changed "upper" to "lower" regarding mids and 906Tis

New PT800 owner

Someone on the forum just got an amazing deal on PT800s.

I wonder if he'll post anything about them?

MJC
    I'm never sure if I like the look of separate woofers like the 906Tis sitting on either side of a center channel speaker. I think I understand the technical and marketing impulses behind this arrangement, and I believe there are circumstances in which it is an improvement and others in which it is not.

In general, I'd guess your situation is better served by a PT800 in the center. In my case, I've got a pretty wide front, and with the PT800 in place in the center there seemed to be the slightest bit of picket fence effect in the lower mids. The highs were seamless.
    As I recall, you've got a large screen/projector, which means you could have the PT800 center at the same elevation, if there's room behind. In my case its about 18" low, as the sub1500 boxes are 21" tall.

But for DVD-A/SACD I pulled out one L212 base and set the center on it. So in that situation the center is only about 8" low. Much better for hi-res audio. I also got a better DVD-A/SACD player on Friday.

As for your picket fence effect, how much, if at all, do you have your L/R toed in? Toe-in is suppose to help fill the soundstage. Of coarse that depends on the speakers used.
    I've never given it much thought about why two mid-bass are used on centers, as I've never had a 100+" screen. Maybe that's why.
    All I know about that kind of center, is when I built a L212 hor. center w/2 112As. Way too much mid-bass And JBL never had a smaller driver that matched.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I wonder if he'll post anything about them?
    Not until I get some decent subs hooked up to them...

John

I could lend my FS-400s for a week.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I could lend my FS-400s for a week.
    Are those the ones with the LE14H-3's? I may take you up on it, but wouldn't be ready for another couple of weeks. Maybe we can get together and you could listen/compare the stuff here at the same time. I'm sure you're wondering how the PT800's sound relative to XPL200's...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Not until I get some decent subs hooked up to them...

John
    HOLY CRAP John, where are you going to put them??? I am going to have to make a trip down there and check them out.

LE14H-1s. If you want to bring the PT800s by, some night, that would be fine. I'm bi-amping the XPLs, so the PT800s and FS400s would work perfectly together in my system with no changes. Plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Are those the ones with the LE14H-3's? I may take you up on it, but wouldn't be ready for another couple of weeks. Maybe we can get together and you could listen/compare the stuff here at the same time. I'm sure you're wondering how the PT800's sound relative to XPL200's...

John
    I think those are LE14H-1s.

I was going to make a few comments on PT800 (+ sub) vs. XPL200 since I have both, but it'd be cool to hear some relatively unbiased evaluations.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    HOLY CRAP John, where are you going to put them???
    Yeah - 'gonna' have to move some stuff around. 'Definitely planning on selling the 4315A's, then I just need to narrow down what I want to keep for my main system, (4430's, XPL200A's, or PT800's w/subs).

John

Thread Information