Page 56 of 143 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    The point is, there is nothing inherent in the 908Ti that prevents it from acting like any other typical 8-inch transducer.
    Which is good to know.

IIRC, the AV635 autoset selects a 40 hz crossover to the PT800 and 60 for the center!

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Which is good to know.

IIRC, the AV635 autoset selects a 40 hz crossover to the PT800 and 60 for the center!
    I don't think the H/K 635 autoset always works right. With both the L212 system and the PT800 system the 635 always wants to set the center to 'large' because the center speaker is set on the floor and the boundry reinforcement it gets. I always change the setting to small and in the case of the L212, set the xo to 60htz. For the PT800 center I set it to 80htz.

But using 5/7 identical speakers, one would think that the processor would 'see' them all the same. But most of the time with the 7 channel L212 system it would set the xo on the back channels to 100, maybe 120, instead of 80. If the 635 was stepped by 10htz I would always have set all L212s to 70htz.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I don't follow. JBL also just sold a whole slew of remanufactured 2245H's. Those were blown up as well, probably from being used below 80 Hz.

The point is, there is nothing inherent in the 908Ti that prevents it from acting like any other typical 8-inch transducer.

We already know that some people out there could blow up any system regardless of make or model.
    Yes, its true some people do abuse most every thing they own. But I don't think I would bet the cost of a 908 against it standing up to the 8" transducers in the L890. Then again, maybe those dual 8" aren't your typical 8" transducer.
    I looked in the PT800 manual, but it didn't show what the xo roll off was.
    I know the L212's is 6db/octave, which is only about 1/2~1/3 that of most HT systems, with 12, 18/octave most common, it seems, even 24db/per

look at the tech spec from the tech part of the forum there you will find the pt 800 starts rolling of at about 100 f3 (-3db)
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12057

that's way the sub has a crossover at 100+ when placed racked

you need a sub if you what the full picture

can you here them alone sure but you are very limited

mike

what can you tell us comparing the pt800 to the lsr32 you just bought

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    mike

what can you tell us comparing the pt800 to the lsr32 you just bought
    The PT800 is better balanced, smoother. The LSR32 is a good tool but has a bright/forward sounding mid. A x-over rework for the LSR32 might be interesting. Out of the box the PT800 is more listenable.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    look at the tech spec from the tech part of the forum there you will find the pt 800 starts rolling of at about 100 f3 (-3db)
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12057

that's way the sub has a crossover at 100+ when placed racked

you need a sub if you what the full picture

can you here them alone sure but you are very limited
    I know... I posted it... f3 is ~ 130 Hz...

I think you guys just like to argue. What we are talking about here is this:

Important Note: Do not send a full-range amplified signal directly to the PT800 tower module. The PT800’s are not designed to reproduce low bass without a PS1400 powered subwoofer. For optimum performance, the PT800 should only receive signals crossed over at 80Hz and above.

The point is that there is nothing inherently wrong with the 908Ti that will cause it to "blow up" if you feed it any signals below 80 Hz. That is the point of this conversation. I've dumped 200 watts into the damn things full range and they just suck it up. Just like the old L212's do. Same concept guys. Both the 908Ti and 112H/2108 roll off at about the same rate in their respective sealed boxes. Both are approximately 9 dB down at 70 Hz.

As for running them without subs... mount a pair in the wall, your choice, L212 or PT800, and see why some people chose not to run a sub in their specific installations. Been doing this since 1975 guys and I guarantee you my install base is a hellava lot larger than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    Yes, its true some people do abuse most every thing they own. But I don't think I would bet the cost of a 908 against it standing up to the 8" transducers in the L890. Then again, maybe those dual 8" aren't your typical 8" transducer.
    Apples to oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    I looked in the PT800 manual, but it didn't show what the xo roll off was.
    I know the L212's is 6db/octave, which is only about 1/2~1/3 that of most HT systems, with 12, 18/octave most common, it seems, even 24db/per
    Crossover roll-off of the PT800? You mean a high pass on the 908Ti?

Just like with the PT800, there is no electrical high pass in the L212 side panel. Both the 908Ti and 112H roll off at ~12 dB/octave via the small sealed enclosures. Sealed boxes act like 2nd order high pass filters.

Obsolete
    Out of the box the PT800 is more listenable.
    Agreed.
    A x-over rework for the LSR32 might be interesting.
    Couldn't hurt...

RIP 2009
    The PT800 is better balanced, smoother....Out of the box the PT800 is more listenable.
    'Hope you're right - I'm supposed to have a couple showing up next week. And while I've got a couple Sub1500's here, I'm gonna' try starting with some just refoamed LE14A's for lows...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    And while I've got a couple Sub1500's here, I'm gonna' try starting with some just refoamed LE14A's for lows...

John
    That will be a very nice combination.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    'Hope you're right - I'm supposed to have a couple showing up next week. And while I've got a couple Sub1500's here, I'm gonna' try starting with some just refoamed LE14A's for lows...

John
    I've thought about doing that. I've got 3 L55s that I could disconnnect the tweeters and use the LE14As for subs. But I'm sure my sub1500s are much better choice.

I know those who have 'em love their sub1500s, and I'd not detract from their fine capabilities, but they're not better than the LE14H* family in every respect or in every situation. (I'm not commenting on the LE14As.) I wouldn't presume to tell those who use them and find them fantastic that a set of properly housed LE14H* would be better in their particular situation, but experience does tell me that a driver that measures better doesn't sound better all the time. It may not even measure better in some environments.

If anyone has some spare sub1500s for me to try out with the PT800s, I'd be glad to see if they'd be better in my room. Of course, if I like them better, you might have a hard time getting them back.

John, You'll have to shoot me a PM when those arrive. I'd like to hear them.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    If anyone has some spare sub1500s for me to try out with the PT800s, I'd be glad to see if they'd be better in my room. Of course, if I like them better, you might have a hard time getting them back.
    I have to admit that I like the LE14H-1 or LE14H-3 every bit as much as the SUB1500 or W1500H.

The highlights of the SUB1500 and W1500H are:
    1. They can dip into the twenties and teens without blowing up.
    2. They can operate in small sealed boxes at levels that would break an LE14H or 2235H apart.
    3. They can move more air with less effort.

Frankly, for normal listening levels in most instances I would take either. The SUB1500 or W1500H do not have the versatility of the LE14H. They are true VLF transducers while the LE14H works great as an LF transducer in 2, 3, and 4-way systems.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    As for running them without subs... mount a pair in the wall, your choice, L212 or PT800, and see why some people chose not to run a sub in their specific installations. Been doing this since 1975 guys and I guarantee you my install base is a hellava lot larger than yours.
    That is just what I've done in this room. Two L212s mounted to the wall with this HD/computer monitor in between. Sometimes I have the receiver configured for the L212s as 'large', other times set to 'small' with the BP12 online.

Thread Information