Page 55 of 143 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    The Audax makes up for it's lack of "power and dynamics" with it's smoothness.

I really liked the external CC networks one forum member made for his PT800's.
    I've had thoughts of doing a C-C network for them, if the schematics to the xo is available.
    Liked it when schematics were glued inside of a radio or in a tv's manual.

Obsolete
    I've posted links to the schematics for the entire Performance Series.

The PT800 is in this list.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...t.php?p=110699

MJC
    Thanks, I didn't think to look there. I see that its a bypass xo. I couldn't see all that much just looking thru the hole for the 908.
    I just got back from BB, they had the def tects blairing. Compared to what I'm used to listening to, they sound like muddled crap.

Okay, so I've been lurking on this forum for ages.. ever since I bought my first pair of walnut veneer 4312A's really from a good friend of mine many many years ago. Fell in love with that speaker and bought another pair (in black) to build a surround setup. Added some JBL HT1F's as rear surrounds and finally started messing with a cheap center trying to "upgrade" it with some 4312A components which took forever to find.. And then I recently witnessed half that setup burn before my eyes in a huge fire which pretty much f#cked up my entire apartment. I loved my setup (like most JBLnuts here) so needless to say I was pretty pissed off with the entire situation.

Then a few months ago I ran into an article about the JBL Studio L Series, which seem to have some of the properties I have come to love in the old "professional" JBL and HT range and combine this with a decent WAF and an affordable price too. So it might make a nice and affordable "replacement" for my previous home theater setup as I dont have too much cash to spare at the moment.

Now, my budget at the moment is very limited. I have to spend pretty much all of my insurance cash on getting the appartment itself back the way it was before the fire so I really don't have much "room" left for audio stuff at the moment.

However, at the moment I have an interesting opportunity to buy a set of JBL S4VC fronts and an S4HC center (even though as always this opportunity comes at a time when I should be spending my cash on other things). These would be the "THX in-wall" versions of the PT800 and PC600 that have been described in this thread for the past 50 pages or so (yes I read all posts!).

So here is my problem: At this time I do not yet have a possibility to actually mount these speakers in-wall. This might change in the future, but at the moment my setup is actually located in front of a huge glass window (covered with a screen on which I project movies using a Barco 800 CRT projector). The only way for me to hook them up to my system is by simply placing them on my window sil or something like that or mount them ON the walls instead of "in" the walls. My question is: how will this affect the sound of these speakers? I mean, are the S4VC's pretty much the same as the PT800's or do they have a completely different crossover system or something like that which REQUIRES them to be flush-mount in order to sound even remotely like you'd expect? Since PT800's are nowhere to be found in my region unfortunately I cannot opt for those "on-wall" versions instead. Besides this deal seems like a pretty decent one.

I am interested in your opinions regarding the use of this in-wall system as regular "on-wall" speakers and how they (and / or the PT800's) compare to the new Studio L series, which SEEM to share a lot of the components and techniques used in the Performance Series. Am I better off buying a Studio L setup or is the Performance Series (read: S4HC/S4VC) clearly the winner here and should I STFU and buy them asap no matter how I mount them in or on the wall?

How much are they?

See PM. I'm wondering if I should pick these up because finding matching components for the rears will be a bitch where I live Then again, I do already have some decent titanium dome THX jaybee's sitting here anyways so I might use those. (they, and some other stuff survived )

RIP 2009
    Don't forget - with any of the PT style series, you *must* also use a subwoofer, (or something), below 80hz - JBL specifically warns about sending anything below 80 hz to them!

As for whether they'd sound different than the finished cabinets, I don't know for sure, but bet they'd sound enough alike to be worthwhile, as long as the price is right.

John

Cutoff would be done at 80 or 100 Hz on my receiver like I'm currently doing for the rear speakers. I managed to save 3 JBL Digital 10 powered subwoofers from the fire so I'll probably use those for the bass and LFE stuff for now until I can sell them and get a Synthesis sub or something like it.

Why is the guy selling them? I'm always interested when I see people selling off a good current JBL model; why did they buy them in the first place?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Don't forget - with any of the PT style series, you *must* also use a subwoofer, (or something), below 80hz - JBL specifically warns about sending anything below 80 hz to them!
    We've since discovered that what they probably should have stated was "the PT800 has very little output below 80 Hz so a subwoofer is strongly recommended."

RIP 2009
    We've since discovered that what they probably should have stated was "the PT800 has very little output below 80 Hz so a subwoofer is strongly recommended."
    OK. I mainly assumed the warning was so you wouldn't send too much voltage to the voice coil trying to get something below 80hz, say, with EQ. That would be my main concern.

John

MJC
    OK. I mainly assumed the warning was so you wouldn't send too much voltage to the voice coil trying to get something below 80hz, say, with EQ. That would be my main concern.

John
    No matter how it is stated, "must use" or "strongly recommended", the Performance Series IS as sat/sub system and that means ALWAYS having at least one sub in the system.
    As far as adding EQ, that is mostly for the sub(s) anyway. Although in the case of H/K 635 AVR the EQ boosts both the bass and the treble. In my system, using the sub1500, I use the AVR's bass management and EQ. But I then cut the treble, back to where it would be w/o EQ, with the "audio tilt" option.

Obsolete
    OK. I mainly assumed the warning was so you wouldn't send too much voltage to the voice coil trying to get something below 80hz.
    Yeah, that's how it came across from JBL.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    No matter how it is stated, "must use" or "strongly recommended", the Performance Series IS as sat/sub system and that means ALWAYS having at least one sub in the system.
    It does matter how it is stated. One implies that electrical or mechanical damage will occur. Neither the L212 nor PT800 will "blow up" if used full range without a subwoofer. There have been several installation instances where people chose not to use a subwoofer with their L212 side panels. The L212 and PT800 have a similar low frequency roll-off.

MJC
    It does matter how it is stated. One implies that electrical or mechanical damage will occur. Neither the L212 nor PT800 will "blow up" if used full range without a subwoofer. There have been several installation instances where people chose not to use a subwoofer with their L212 side panels. The L212 and PT800 have a similar low frequency roll-off.
    In almost 30 years, I've never blown a L212, and I have played them @ full range, w/o a sub.
    On the other hand, if you will recall, last year, for a few months JBL was selling Refurb PT800's and PC600's. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would think the PT800/PC600's had to be "remanufactured" because some people did use them full range, and blew out at least the 908. Or maybe some of the components in the xo.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    In almost 30 years, I've never blown a L212, and I have played them @ full range, w/o a sub.
    On the other hand, if you will recall, last year, for a few months JBL was selling Refurb PT800's and PC600's. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would think the PT800/PC600's had to be "remanufactured" because some people did use them full range, and blew out at least the 908. Or maybe some of the components in the xo.
    I don't follow. JBL also just sold a whole slew of remanufactured 2245H's. Those were blown up as well, probably from being used below 80 Hz.

The point is, there is nothing inherent in the 908Ti that prevents it from acting like any other typical 8-inch transducer.

We already know that some people out there could blow up any system regardless of make or model.

Thread Information