Page 54 of 143 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Before someone points it out, most multichannel audio discs are 5.1, not 7.1.

One of the best things about moving up from the Citation to the Fosgate was the inclusion of Cirrus Extra Surround on the FAPT-1 for 7.1 sound. Jim Fosgate's ProLogicIIx in the FAPT1+ is even better, though I like the Cirrus ES a lot.

The Performance Series is easy to work with in these situations becuase the PT800 seems to be quite responsive to the pre/pro's calibrations. I like that. Straight-Line Signal Path (SSP), anyone?

MJC
    As good as my 7 channel L212 was there is one word that tells why the PS is better; Titanium. Its stronger, lighter. And from what I've heard so far, being lighter makes the PT800s faster to respond than the L212's aluminium, and pulp drivers. And as you have said is clearer.
    After hearing the Ti tweeter on the L890s I knew I needed to hear the PS with 3 Ti drivers. I also like the look better, 3" narrower and with the chamfered corners make them look even more sleek.
    One of the things I like about multi-channel music is that you can hear more instruments of the recording because of the fact that more channels means less down mix, so less gets lost.

MJC
    Here is some pics of the PS HT.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice view. That PT800 fits right under your screen! Great!

With the extra PT800s I have, I think I'll substitute a PT800 for the PC600 and see what's what. Since you've had such good luck, I know I should do the same for comparison.

Can you supply some distance figures? FL to FR, distance to center, distance to side walls, distance to rear walls, distance to preferred seating.

Heck, while you're at it, can you give your impressions as to the width and depth of the front soundstage in two-channel music and your overall sense of depth and spaciousness in multichannel? How does that affect your placement of your 5.1 surrounds?

And while you're at it, tell that knucklehead over on AVS that I'm gonna backtrack his registration, hunt him down, and stick a CMMD cone up his you-know-what.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboknucklehead
    The JBL's on the other hand are possibly one of the worst sounding and designed speakers on the market today. They epitomize the 'West Coast Boom and Sizzle' sound ... bass bloat and a harsh treble that'll make your ears bleed after more than 2 minutes of listening. But they leave an impression on the showroom floor, which is what they're going for. Nobody uses mylar as a tweeter material anymore for a reason, it sucks. But JBL does for it's 'super-tweeter'. In my opinion, they're downright painful to listen to.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Nice view. That PT800 fits right under your screen! Great!
    Can you supply some distance figures? FL to FR, distance to center, distance to side walls, distance to rear walls, distance to preferred seating.
    The screen is 65". The c/c distance of the L/R is 7ft. That leaves about 5ft+ to each side wall. The baffles of the L/R are 4ft out from the end wall.
    Ya, the center is shorter than the L212 center was, about an inch, I think. Plus I had the L212 mounted to a 3" tall, tilted base. So the top of the L212 was right at the edge of the screen.

But I took advantage of the PT800 having mounting screws on the back and bottom. I had a coil of copper ground wire and cut off two pieces and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to form a small circle on each end and then bent them into an L shape, with the circles turned 90* to the "L"

Then you just remove the 2 bolts from the top, back holes and the 2 bottom,rear holes add a washer to each and thread the bolts thru the circles in the end of the wire. The long side of the L connects to the top and the short to the bottom, rear holes.
    Almost forgot, I had 3" bolts, plus a nut for each, from the L212 bases that I screwed into the bottom, front holes. The nuts are so you can tighten the bolts to the bottom of the box at what ever distance you want the bolts to hang down. You can see them in the one pic.

RIP 2009
    'Dome - when you get tired of that latest pair you bought, let me know, (Christmas bonus! ) - they'd go great with my extra pair of Sub1500's!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    'Dome - when you get tired of that latest pair you bought, let me know, (Christmas bonus! ) - they'd go great with my extra pair of Sub1500's!

John
    The first pair showed up fine, but I'm still waiting on the second pair. Paid $20 more a piece for them, too! He indicates he might have others... eventually.

MJC
    Ti Dome, being you asked, and I didn't say in the other post, the main seating distance to the L/R is about 108". The seating is setup to give me the optimum viewing to the TV. At www.hdguru.com their chart shows 102" to the screen for 65" 1080i/p.
    So as it is right now, I don't have an equilateral triangle between the speakers and seat. So I'd have to move the speakers both farther off center and forward.

MJC

PT800s get louder

As I stated once before I had the volume cranked up about 3db more than with the L212s, the first few days.
    After two weeks, this past week end they started to bother my ears, had to turn the volume down to a point that is -5db less than the L212s. Seems as the PT800s loosened up they got louder.
    Dome, did you notice the same thing?
    I was playing them w/o any eq, but the bass came up short thru the sub1500s.The 635 boosts both bass and treble when the eq is on, but I didn't want the treble cranked. So I was looking in the manual for a work around. Found it, with the eq on there is then an audio setup option called tilt. That allowed me to cut the treble to get it back to where is was w/o the eq. Now all is right.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The first pair showed up fine, but I'm still waiting on the second pair. Paid $20 more a piece for them, too! He indicates he might have others... eventually.
    'Dome - could you drop me a PM or email? 'Gotta quick question...

John

MJC

tweeter the weight of a burger w/o cheese

I pulled out the three speakers in the PT800s to have a look. I decided to weight the tweeter w/waveguide, all of a 1/4 lb. The 066, in comparision weights over 2 lbs. That's more than a 1:8 ratio.
    I guess, like all things electronic, they just keep getting smaller.
    The PT800 crossover looked really small compared to the orignal L212 crossovers. And they(L212 xo) are 1/3 smaller than the C-C networks I built for the L212s

Obsolete
    The Audax makes up for its lack of "power and dynamics" with its smoothness.

I really liked the external CC networks one forum member made for his PT800's.

MJC
    I decided to play around with the L/R locations a bit, a couple of days ago. Pushed them about 12" farther apart, to about 8' and toed in. So now I'm closer to an equilateral triangle to the main seat. It seemed to improve the soundstage.

Thread Information