Page 50 of 143 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Smile HTPS400 #7

This thing has a 1000W digital amp, and unlike the 400W amp in the PS1400, this amp is not inside a cover. It's right there in plain sight in the back of the cabinet, transformers and all.

You can also see the brace at the midpoint of the enclosure and the generous amount of batting being used inside this sealed interior.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Smile HTPS400 #8

The rear panel is somewhat simpler than the PS1400's. The most notable difference is the absence of speaker-level inputs. There is one line-level input and one output, switchable for THX use or for normal use.

The difference? THX input uses an internal THX-compliant 80Hz network, while normal input is controlled by the built-in crossover.

You can see the THX Ultra logo and the BASH® mark.
    Out.

Smile HTPS400 #9

From the Sound and Vision piece, here's a look at the HTPS400 specs.

As for the cost factor, I'm happy to report I paid about 25% of that price.
    Out.

Smile HTPS400 #10

The Sound and Vision folks did a few measurements, too, so I repeat those here for posterity and your personal edification.
    Out.

MJC
    Now I see why all the Synthesis Dealers use the HTPS400, instead of the PS1400. @ 1000w its putting out 200w more than my sub1500s(each, not combined), connected to half of a Crown K2.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    Now I see why all the Synthesis Dealers use the HTPS400, instead of the PS1400. @ 1000w its putting out 200w more than my sub1500s(each, not combined), connected to half of a Crown K2.
    That doesn't translate to acoustic power output necessarily.

Gotta know the relative driver efficiencies in the particular alignments involved.

[OR, measure them....]

Thumbs up HTPS400 Subjective Impressions

To review, I have two PS1400s stacked with PT800s and used as full range loudspeakers (not as sub units). I also have one PS1400 hooked up as a subwoofer, as the .1 in 5.1 or 7.1 surround.

When I first put the HTPS400 into the above Performance Series system, I noticed an immediate and pleasing improvement.

When the HTPS400 joined the family, I was quite impressed. After a few days of listening, I was playing the DTS 5.1 version of Days of Future Passed, and decided to experiment by disconnecting the HTPS400. My expectation was a fall off in bass. In reality there was no discernible difference with the darn thing on or off.

So, was I a victim of rising expectations? Did I imagine an improvement at first because I expected an improvement? If this were true, I'd be a very sad boy.

Over the next several days, I experimented with a number of recordings, movies, and input configurations, and a trend began to emerge.

First, I had to learn to better utilize analog bass management on my pre/pro.

Second, I had to ignore the THX setting and rely on the normal input setting.

Third, following the Harman white paper, I tried wall midpoint positioning until I discovered that the center front wall was the best place for the unit—right under the center channel.

Fourth, I realized that the first music I listened to when I installed the unit was quite different than the DOFP recording, which was a fine DTS remaster but almost completely lacking in LF and VLF material. The first thing I listened to was Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales, a recording done under much more exacting conditions and mastered with a far broader frequency range.

Fifth, during movie playback, the VLF material was definitely more visceral, yet clean.

Sixth, there was much greater articulation of notes played on a well-recorded bass, with no boominess or goofy resonances.

So it seems that the smaller, sealed, and rigid enclosure, coupled with the extra power, the rigid cone, the lower frequency response at higher output levels, and the low distortion all work together to provide a lower, more articulate, and more powerful sound at the very bottom of the range, say 25Hz to 35Hz, and from there on up, there's no difference that I can discern subjectively. So it's that narrow band of improvement that seems to add so much.

There were times with the PS1400s that I wished for just a little more bottom end. I had no idea that a 12" driver would be the thing to bring it to me. This little cube can really kick some ass. Two of them, as recommended by JBL would be amazing, but one in conjunction with the PS1400 is enough for me.
    Out.

Lightbulb Uh

I probably should have mentioned that I ran some test tones and made some in-room measurements as well. This was to give me a mechanical verification of what I was hearing and not hearing.

For sources, I used the venerable Soundcraftsmen test record and the audio sweeps and tones on the DVD version of Digital Video Essentials. For tone generation I used the AS1000 pink noise and for calibration/measurement I used the RS analog SPL meter's mic patched into an AE2000.

Yeah, I know some of that sh#t's old, but it still works great, and it's what I've got.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    There were times with the PS1400s that I wished for just a little more bottom end. I had no idea that a 12" driver would be the thing to bring it to me. This little cube can really kick some ass. Two of them, as recommended by JBL would be amazing, but one in conjunction with the PS1400 is enough for me.
    Maybe you need something like this;
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/a...1&d=1140887431

Time to load.

Pre-tty.

Who's your daddy?

Care to see my backside?

Full Monty.