Page 5 of 143 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Le14h-3

Although many of you have seen this driver, I'm certain some have not. This 14" AquaPlas(TM) subwoofer is a heavy, powerful unit that is held in place by eight 5/32"x2" stainless steel bolts (not screws). Four of the bolts go into the LE14H-3's cast frame, while the other four go in the colored aluminum ring that goes around the frame as a piece of trim. This makes the LE14H-3 mounting trim look the same as the other Performance Series drivers when installed in the cabinets.

When I add a picture of the subwoofer's cabinet, you'll be surprised by a thing or two in there.

For now:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

LE14H-3 redux

Here's a look at the side elevations, one showing the sticker and the other the spring clips for the wires.
    Out.

I ask again: Can LE14A's and H's be reconed with H-3 cones, i.e., converting them to rubber surround subwoofs?

Seem's like if there were gap differences, etc., JBL'd be calling them something else, no?

No, huh? Well, "Poop," then....
    Last edited by Zilch; 11-17-2004 at 05:12 PM. Reason: New info from the mighty Giskard

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I ask again: Can LE14A's and H's be reconed with H-3 cones, i.e., converting them to rubber surround subwoofs?
    Nope.

And this sentence is to satisfy the ten character message limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard

And this sentence is for the ten character message limit.

I ran into that too. Maybe that could be addressed.

That LE14H-3 frame is quite impressive! I hadn't seen the back of one before.

Widget

Fixed

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    All I can say is that if you get a chance to audition these, do so. At $1500 (PC600, PT800) or $1599 (PS1400), these speakers are at the sweet spot. You'd have to spend a lot more per speaker to beat them IMO, yet they're close enough to be attainable by an average person (like me) who's willing to scrimp and save to get them.
    Yes, I love 'em!
    Comparing them to 1977 vintage L212/B212, that were $2k for 3 speakers, that is a good price. The $2k of '77 would be about $10k now, and for that $10k now you get 5 main speakers and 2 subs. And the towers can be had from the Harman online store for just $1050-that's almost a 1/3 off! I only managed to get 1/4 off the price of my original L212/B212.

But alas, I've just recenty completed a 7 channel L212/dual sub1500 system. Which will never be sold, just passed onto my son.
    So I saved about $8k, though be it for a 27 year old design. But at a later point in time....

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    for that $10k now you get 5 main speakers and 2 subs. And the towers can be had from the Harman online store for just $1050-that's almost a 1/3 off!
    Don't hate me, BUT...

I got a PC600, six PT800s, and three PS1400s for way less than $10k. Two of the PT800s were used off eBay, but everything else was new in the box.
    Out.

PS1400 enclosure

Here's an interior shot of the PS1400 cabinet. There are a few interesting things.

1) You can see the dual FreeFlow(TM) port architecture (as JBL describes it). It "extends bass response by coupling internal air motion to a computer-designed aperture that allows for maximum air flow without audible 'port noise'." The ports are flared, as is easily seen.

2) The 400W built in amp is completely housed inside a plastic enclosure. It's smaller than I expected, and I have no idea how heat is dissipated. There are no vents that I could find. Its output is labeled for 6 Ohms.

3) The wire is interesting. Coming out of the high pass filter (upper left) for the docked PT800, it's the previously described Monster stuff. However, the wire that goes to the massive LE14H-3 is thin. It's labeled "AWM 1007 VW-1 80ēC 300V E108485 16AWG REI HSING" so JBL obviously feels that 16Ga is plenty to feed that massive driver.

4) You can see two ribs of parallel bracing made of 1" thick MDF.
    Out.

PS1400 high pass filter

For those that want a close up view of the filter that sends high pass material to a docked PT800, here you go!
    Out.

Well it looks like JBL still isn't "wasting" money on expensive crossover components.

Monster must give them the wire for advertising considerations. Certainly that large electrolytic cap is going to have a much greater sonic impact than any wire could.

Widget

2) The 400W built in amp is completely housed inside a plastic enclosure. It's smaller than I expected, and I have no idea how heat is dissipated. There are no vents that I could find. Its output is labeled for 6 Ohms.
    I would expect that the amp uses a switching power supply. They are very efficient and don't produce much heat. They seem to sound fine on subs. The "1500 wpc" amp on my Velodyne is also remarkably free of cooling vents or heat sinks and must weigh a full 10-15lbs! These modern sub amps are surprising.

Widget

MJC
    Don't hate me, BUT...

I got a PC600, six PT800s, and three PS1400s for way less than $10k. Two of the PT800s were used off eBay, but everything else was new in the box.
    I was just figuring at list price of $1500/ea, not at the $1050 online price or for a cheaper price else where.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    I was just figuring at list price of $1500/ea, not at the $1050 online price or for a cheaper price else where.
    The irony of it is I couldn't find a place to buy them at full price. Earlier in the thread I recounted my failure to get any authorized dealers to sell them to me, which would have cost $12k+ with the extra PT800s and PS1400. So eBay and dealer returns to the rescue!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    That basket and magnet assembly strongly resemble the 2217h - 14 inch "Pro" sub found in the "Array" series.

regards < Earl K

Thread Information