Page 42 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Post JBL's latest blurb

Here's the 2006 Performance Series product line. It's growing!

from Frank Doris, FM Group Public Relations

JBL Performance Series: A Complete Lineup of High-End Home Theater Audio Systems

The JBL Performance Series is a full range of high-end turnkey home theater audio systems that includes electronics and loudspeakers. The Performance Series offers a variety of multichannel home theater audio solutions, all designed to offer extraordinary sonic realism, along with unmatched operational flexibility and ease of use, in rooms of up to 5,000 cubic feet.

Each JBL Performance Series system is based around the Performance Series 7.1-channel AV1 Surround Processor/System Controller and AVA7 7-Channel Power Amplifier, both engineered to deliver state-of-the-art sound quality and connectivity in the widest range of custom-installation home theater systems. JBL Performance Series systems can be configured with a broad variety of matched 7.1- and 5.1-channel in-wall and on-wall speaker systems to accommodate specific customer and room applications.

A variety of loudspeakers is offered, including the Performance P941 and P81 advanced-technology in-wall speakers, which are now available with optional back boxes that provide acoustical isolation and improved sound quality. Other models include the Performance PT800 tower main/surround loudspeaker, the Performance PC600 center channel speaker, the PS1400 14-inch, 400-watt powered subwoofer, and JBL’s HTPS400 12-inch, 1000-watt powered subwoofer, which features a compact enclosure that enables it to be easily situated in any room.

The modular design of the on-wall speakers allows the PT800 tower to be stacked atop the PS1400 subwoofer, mounted separately on a wall or installed on optional available stands. All the speakers have a unique shallow-profile enclosure that requires a minimum of floor space, and all models are constructed using professional-quality JBL drivers and components. The P941 and P81 in-wall speakers incorporate front-panel listener axis, high-frequency contour, high-frequency level and low-frequency boundary compensation controls that allow precise sonic tailoring in any installation.

JBL will also introduce its innovative JBL BassQ™ Automatic Room Mode Correction™ (RMC™) Processor, which can be added to any Performance Series system, in 2006. The BassQ RMC processor is a low-frequency-response correction component that utilizes supplied measurement microphones and advanced DSP equalization to compensate for the peaks and dips in frequency response that are inherent in every room, to achieve smooth, accurate bass response.

Pricing for JBL Performance Series systems ranges from approximately $15,000 for JBL’s Performance System 7 5.1-channel in-wall system to $30,000 for the JBL Premier Performance 7.1-channel on-wall and in-wall packages. All Performance Series systems are currently shipping
    Out.

can;t wait to see that new bassQ sistem they have been telling us for so long

i hope it the same one as the revel sub with three bands of eq
    more or les like Rives audio Parc

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin

Yes, it has been a long time coming.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin

Another alternative is to take your favorite subwoofer (JBL of course) and add a Velodyne SMS-1.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...05-part-1.html

Widget

Smile you'd be surprised

This really is a wonderful tweeter. We've agreed that it comes from Audax, in France, which is a Harman International company, like JBL.

Audax seems to be picking up the slack as JBL's consumer tweeter production has faltered of late--probably a Harman International corporate decision. Audax tweeters are respected enough that they generate their own Web forum, in French of course! I've written and posted there to get more insight into the tweeter.

This particular model seems purpose built for JBL, and it's appeared in JBL products for at least six years, including the recent full-line Studio Series, and the current Synthesis Four system. It cannot be bought direct from Audax, though many less expensive tweeters may be purchased from Audax.

Pure Titanium dome, rubber surround, neodymium magnet, shielded, in an EOS Waveguide, there's a lot going on that's good about this tweeter.

EDIT: The post I was responding to disappeared. Someone posted that the tweeter was disappointing based on the picture I posted many, many posts ago in this thread. He felt it was not the kind of tweeter one would expect of JBL. I don't know what happened, but I'll leave the post in anyway. :dont-know
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 02-13-2006 at 02:24 PM. Reason: post disappeared
    Out.

Exclamation Interesting/frightening

Currently, the www.harmanaudio.com site does not have any Performance Series speakers in its "All Specials" section. This is quite unusual. They've been on there for ages in many varieties. Now they're ALL gone.

The PS also is missing from the "Current Models" page, although I can't say I've noticed them there before.

The JBL.com Website (which was down for some time this evening) still shows the PS there. So you can still get the recently price-increased new product, but it looks like refurbs are thinning out or maybe gone for good.

Out.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    but it looks like refurbs are thinning out or maybe gone for good.

I've often wondered if the refurbs were really refurbs at all, just new ones being sold at discounted prices. Its not like the PS are being sold at every BB in the country. Where are the refurbs coming from? How many PS are sold by Synthesis dealers, that would produce that many refurbs?

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    I've often wondered if the refurbs were really refurbs at all, just new ones being sold at discounted prices. Its not like the PS are being sold at every BB in the country. Where are the refurbs coming from? How many PS are sold by Synthesis dealers, that would produce that many refurbs?
    Yes, it seemed like an unofficial fire sale, didn't it?
    Out.

Smile HT or music system (4-way vs. 3-way+sub vs. 2-way+sub)

When the PS1400 and PT800 are docked, the SYSTEM INPUT speaker connectors are used, and the LF CROSSOVER switch is in the NORMAL position. It's a four-way speaker, with LF levels controlled by the LF LEVEL dial, not the LFE LEVEL dial.

If the PS1400 is used as a pure sub, the LFE/SUBWOOFER INPUT is used, and the LFE LEVEL controls LFE level. In this case, the LF CROSSOVER is in the SEPARATED position. You can choose to do this even when the units are docked, but basically you've got a three-way with a frequency response of 80Hz–22kHz and an LFE sub. Also in this case, your receiver or pre/pro better be able to cross everything from 80Hz down away from the PT800s or you'll be in trouble. The problem with this approach is that with two-channel music on some receivers and pre/pros you're not going to have the LFE active, so your stereo experience might be somewhat disappointing.

OTOH, having them stacked and NORMAL gives you a great stereo experience in part because the LE14H-3 is crossing over at 130Hz, not 80Hz as you might otherwise set it up with your receiver or pre/pro. However, the LFE isn't everything you want it to be for movies, because the LFE material isn't going to a separate sub.

So my solution in this case is to have the FL and FR Performance stacks running as four-way speakers, like L250s (or L7s or XPL200s), plus a PS1400 running as a dedicated LFE subwoofer. I really want to get one more PS1400 to run in that fashion. (Harman mulitsubs, you know. )

There is a kind of hybrid of these two approaches that JBL documents in the OM, but I haven't really tried it yet.

So if I prefer a four-way system for two channel listening over a three-way and a sub, is it inevitable that I feel the same way about a two-way and a sub?

For comparison, I've got a pair of 4430s that make some very nice two-channel music, as well as SVA2100s, SVA1800s, and L60Ts. Starting with the L60Ts, with their 8" woofers, there's no doubt they need help with the low end, just like the PT800s do. So even for two-channel listening in my Watts office, they get augmented with a 12" sub.

The SVAs are more powerful than the L60Ts could ever hope to be, but being able to make more sound doesn't translate into a wider range of sound, at least not for the SVA1800s. A nice FA CSS200 THX sub with an LE120H-1 inside helps these guys get to the bottom better. The SVA2100s can sound pretty convincing w/o a sub, but at 10", the woofers still don't have that capability that adding a couple of LE12H-1 based subs brings.

Now, the 4430s with their 2235H 15" boomers should be fine, right? Well, they are fine, except the 2235Hs are covering a lot of ground, and I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the low bass with these speakers. When I sort of stumbled into ownership of a B380 and BX63A and added it to this combo, the sound improved a lot, and the low end got a much better.

I truly feel that the Performance Series offers the best of both worlds, especially if you can have both stacks and separate subs. For me, even the four-way PS stacks are preferable to some pretty nice two-way systems when it's time for two-channel music, even when you augment those two-ways with a sub or two.

JMO, of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Obsolete
    Now, the 4430s with their 2235H 15" boomers should be fine, right? Well, they are fine, except the 2235Hs are covering a lot of ground, and I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the low bass with these speakers. When I sort of stumbled into ownership of a B380 and BX36A and added it to this combo, the sound improved a lot, and the low end got a much better.
    Dependent on setup and tuning. I stopped using the stock 4430 tuning very early, it's simply too aggressive for home hi-fi use. I also got the 4430 up off the floor a bit. I was never a personal fan of the B380 or B460 and never found them to add much of anything positive to a musical experience. I sure installed plenty of them for people who just had to have them though. I did run a pair of 2242H subs with my 4430's for awhile and those weren't so bad. It was fun enough.

Smile Rooms and baffles

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Dependent on setup and tuning. I stopped using the stock 4430 tuning very early, it's simply too aggressive for home hi-fi use. I also got the 4430 up off the floor a bit. I was never a personal fan of the B380 or B460 and never found them to add much of anything positive to a musical experience. I sure installed plenty of them for people who just had to have them though. I did run a pair of 2242H subs with my 4430's for awhile and those weren't so bad. It was fun enough.
    I'm certain the rooms have more to do with it than anything; e.g., the 4430s in my office are in a less than ideal environment, and the 2235H drivers, being close to the floor, have a lot of physical "bad elements" to deal with. Whereas, the PS1400/PT800 stacks are much better positioned at home and the environment is tuned better, though nowhere near perfectly.

It's also my impression having moved both 4430s and PS stacks around, that the PS is less susceptible to to dramatic changes in sound, even though the 4430 is horn-based. I'm attributing this to the phase alignment and baffle design, though it's just an untalented goober's guess at this point.

There are times when I think the PS stack is a "lucky" design, and other times when I think it's brilliant. The truth as they say probably lies somewhere in between. Clearly, GT (and any who assisted) made the most out of what he was given, so despite our propensity to muck around and "improve" these designs, I tend to always prefer the stock systems.

I'm not much into second-guessing experts who are truly experts. Thank goodness there are no public elections on who should be designing speakers at JBL. (Now I'm veering off-thread toward politics, so I'll stop. )
    Out.

Obsolete
    Clearly, GT (and any who assisted) made the most out of what he was given, so despite our propensity to muck around and "improve" these designs, I tend to always prefer the stock systems.

I'm not much into second-guessing experts who are truly experts.
    Understood. That's why GT and myself run totally custom DIY systems while others run totally stock systems. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. For instance, the PS1400 was too small due to Marketing constraints. That's why we build custom PS1400's approximately 35% larger in volume. Sure, it costs more and it takes extra effort but that's what we do and there are no manufacturing or marketing constraints. Additionally charge coupled networks were completely out of the question in order for the Performance Series to make the price points, hence the crafting of custom charge-coupled networks. We've been doing this since day one. As someone said very recently, "there's work and then there's the important stuff" and that person was pointing to one of his custom xxxxx stacks. It's fun.

When the PS1400 and PT800 are docked, the SYSTEM INPUT speaker connectors are used, and the LF CROSSOVER switch is in the NORMAL position. It's a four-way speaker, with LF levels controlled by the LF LEVEL dial, not the LFE LEVEL dial.

If the PS1400 is used as a pure sub, the LFE/SUBWOOFER INPUT is used, and the LFE LEVEL controls LFE level. In this case, the LF CROSSOVER is in the SEPARATED position. You can choose to do this even when the units are docked, but basically you've got a three-way with a frequency response of 80Hz–22kHz and an LFE sub. Also in this case, your receiver or pre/pro better be able to cross everything from 80Hz down away from the PT800s or you'll be in trouble. The problem with this approach is that with two-channel music on some receivers and pre/pros you're not going to have the LFE active, so your stereo experience might be somewhat disappointing.

OTOH, having them stacked and NORMAL gives you a great stereo experience in part because the LE14H-3 is crossing over at 130Hz, not 80Hz as you might otherwise set it up with your receiver or pre/pro. However, the LFE isn't everything you want it to be for movies, because the LFE material isn't going to a separate sub.

So my solution in this case is to have the FL and FR Performance stacks running as four-way speakers, like L250s (or L7s or XPL200s), plus a PS1400 running as a dedicated LFE subwoofer. I really want to get one more PS1400 to run in that fashion. (Harman mulitsubs, you know. )

There is a kind of hybrid of these two approaches that JBL documents in the OM, but I haven't really tried it yet.

So if I prefer a four-way system for two channel listening over a three-way and a sub, is it inevitable that I feel the same way about a two-way and a sub?

For comparison, I've got a pair of 4430s that make some very nice two-channel music, as well as SVA2100s, SVA1800s, and L60Ts. Starting with the L60Ts, with their 8" woofers, there's no doubt they need help with the low end, just like the PT800s do. So even for two-channel listening in my Watts office, they get augmented with a 12" sub.

The SVAs are more powerful than the L60Ts could ever hope to be, but being able to make more sound doesn't translate into a wider range of sound, at least not for the SVA1800s. A nice FA CSS200 THX sub with an LE120H-1 inside helps these guys get to the bottom better. The SVA2100s can sound pretty convincing w/o a sub, but at 10", the woofers still don't have that capability that adding a couple of LE12H-1 based subs brings.

Now, the 4430s with their 2235H 15" boomers should be fine, right? Well, they are fine, except the 2235Hs are covering a lot of ground, and I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the low bass with these speakers. When I sort of stumbled into ownership of a B380 and BX63A and added it to this combo, the sound improved a lot, and the low end got a much better.

I truly feel that the Performance Series offers the best of both worlds, especially if you can have both stacks and separate subs. For me, even the four-way PS stacks are preferable to some pretty nice two-way systems when it's time for two-channel music, even when you augment those two-ways with a sub or two.

JMO, of course.
    Hey Ti,
    Thanks for the very valuable information. I have a very difficult living room to properly set up a sub, that and it seems every month my wife wants to re-arrange the furniture! My last question is system matching. I know it can be critical for two channel but with home theater, powered subs and the like, is it as big an issue? In essence, you have a bi-amp main speaker system and I would imagine the amp/receiver driving the sats should be matched to the amps in the subs? I know most quality A/V receivers have bass management systems and adjustable crossovers for the LFE channel which can help dial in the sound. If I were to invest in the Performance series for a dedicated home theater, I would mount the sats on the subs. What would be your recommendation be on brands, features etc. as far as A/V receivers, processors and the like. I have had one Denon's higher end receivers and a couple of Yamaha's. I went back to two channel mainly because I didn't watch movies much at that time and seems like everytime I shelled out the money for a "Top of the Line", within a year there was something "better." Of course, I had to have the new technology. It's very much like buying a new computer in terms of the rapid advance in technology. Thanks so much for your patience and indulgence.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by oznob
    What would be your recommendation be on brands, features etc. as far as A/V receivers, processors and the like.
    http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA

Also check with Rob Patton.

Lightbulb A few more thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Those are good recommendations.

I'd add that the HTPS400 12" sub is really worth considering if you don't stack. It's a real powerhouse.

If you don't get the Performance pre/pro and amp, I'd still recommend separates if possible. There are many fine multichannel receivers, some of which outperform modest separates. Denon and HK are two good examples, but if you can get mid-to-high quality separates, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

While 120 or 125W/ch does a good job, I'm running two five channel, 200W/ch amps. I use three channels from one and four channels from the other, and both amps have massive power supplies, so there's a lot of headroom for those HT peaks that come up. Plus, when the next multichannel configuration comes along, I've got the channels to handle it, and two PT800s waiting in reserve.

Good amps remain good amps for some time, while good receivers become yesterday's news all too quickly, it seems. I've replaced my pre/pro three times in the past four years. I wanted PLII, then PLIIx; I wanted 7.1 channel inputs; I wanted better analog bypass; I wanted two-channel analog bass management; etc.

With a receiver, I'd be replacing the whole thing each time, but this way I'm keeping the power I like and simplifying my decision-making process. I don't have to worry about a receiver's amp section, and whether or not the power supply is up to snuff, or excessive heat build up in the enclosure, etc.

BTW, I'm JFET front end, MOSFET output all the way with SS amps. My personal preference, which differs from many on this forum, is that well-crafted amps of this type are the most pleasing. Tubes are quaint and cute, but I've not evolved or devolved to the point where I really want them except possibly to be able to say I have them. I do have a couple of the newer Panasonic digital multichannel receivers (SA-XR10) in the shop, and at 100W/ch, I'm pretty impressed with how well they drive some of the power eaters, like the SVA Series.
    Out.

Thread Information