Page 40 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Yep, a $5 tweeter with a $3 bezel....

They do sound good though.

Widget
    Model # then? I didn't see one for $5 or $8.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Model # then? I didn't see one for $5 or $8.
    Corporate part #335663-001. And you're right... JBL does not charge $5.00 for the part. Probably proprietary OEM version for JBL Consumer, because they can and do.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I was speaking about the wholesale price. I think it is similar to the Audax TM025F7. I can get them for $12.95, I would expect JBL would do much better.

http://www.audax.fr/

Widget

Smile Just in case,

I went to the AUDAX forum (AUDAX: Le Forum), and asked the posters there if they could identify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dome Titanique
    Salutations a tous. A l'avance, veuillez agreer mes excuses pour mon Francais faible.

Je recherche l'information sur un tweeter d'Audax. Veuillez regarder cette image :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&postcount=582

L'image montre le dos du tweeter avec des nombres. Mon avatar (montre sous "Titanium Dome") montre l'avant.

Connaissez-vous quel modele titanique d'Audax c'est ?
    Merci.
    And yes, I used their search engine first.
    Out.

They do sound good though.
    You're right, they do sound very good.

Smile Why I'm pursuing this

Soon I'll have an extra pair of PT800s, and I'm thinking about several things, some of which might be (probably are) stupid, but I'm thinking about them anyway.

When thinking about the 044Ti and 035TIA tweeters, for example, where does the Performance Series tweeter really fit in? Obviously, at its price point, it's not in the same league or shouldn't be anyway. Yet, I have many, many 035TIA set ups, and I'd judge the PS tweeter to be better in my subjective listening. This may be due in part to the EOS Waveguide, the tweeter's balance with the other drivers, the crossover, etc., BUT how would it really compare spec-wise to an 035TIA? Once out of the EOS Waveguide, away from its companion drivers, and independent of the crossover, what's it really like?

As for the the 044-1 tweeters in my recently refurbished L250s, the PS tweeter is hands down a better performer, but how might it compare to an 044Ti? I don't have one to compare it to, though I've heard many 044Tis over the years. They're very nice, but so is this inexpensive PS tweeter.

I do not have the capability to measure this out myself, so getting this info in the form of a tech sheet would be a good start.
    Out.

When thinking about the 044Ti and 035TIA tweeters, for example, where does the Performance Series tweeter really fit in?

The costs of the 044Ti and 046Ti are staggering compared to the Audax. The 044Ti and 046Ti have the power and the dynamics while the Audax has the smoothness. The "fix" for the 044Ti and 046Ti is not generally available to end users so there is no point in posting it.

Once out of the EOS Waveguide, away from its companion drivers, and independent of the crossover, what's it really like?

Who cares... I personally wouldn't use it outside of a PC600 or PT800. It balances perfectly in those systems. Yeah ok, it could be fun to get Mr. Widget to run curves on them all. I won't waste my time doing it but I would waste his.

As for the the 044-1 tweeters in my recently refurbished L250s, the PS tweeter is hands down a better performer, but how might it compare to an 044Ti?

Yes, the expensive phenolic domed 033, 044 and 066 are at a decided disadvantage compared to the Audax. In fact, it was the Performance Series that prompted me to finally let go of all my 033's, 044's, and 066's as well as all the LE5/2105 derivatives. The PT800 really is better overall than any of the 033, 044, or 066 and LE5/2105 based systems. Not only does it sound decidedly better, it comes in a friendlier physical package as well.

I still have my 044Ti's and 046Ti's. It could be a tough decision to replace stock 250Ti's with the PT800/PS1400. Deciding to replace a pair of XPL200A's might be a bit easier. :dont-know I'd have to set them side by side and give them another six months together. I decided to keep the Ti's and XPL's rather than go with the Performance Series. That decision was based on the then up and coming Array Series.

how about comparing it (ps Tweeter) with the 053Ti of the lsr models

the LSR tweeter is very smooth of course its more expensive

Smile Reply from the Audax forum

Here's the reply I received:

Bonjour.

Il s'agit probablement de tweeter audax serie neodyme.
    Ce que l'on appel du "cheap", apparement fait sur mesure : il n'a pas l'embase de fixation classique.

Je vais voir si je peux trouver.
    Pas garantie.

CDT.
    Cyrille
    Hello.

It's probably an Audax tweeter from the neodymium series. One would call it "cheap" (inexpensive), apparently made to fit (custom): it doesn't have the traditional base.

I'll see if I can find more. No promises.
    Out.

Titane Dôme, there are a lot of French audiophiles and loudspeaker enthusiasts... being able to read and write in French would be great... I am envious.

So your tweeter isn't from their "PRESTIGE" line, does it matter? It is a fine tweeter.

Widget

Smile It matters because

Titane Dôme, there are a lot of French audiophiles and loudspeaker enthusiasts... being able to read and write in French would be great... I am envious.

So your tweeter isn't from their "PRESTIGE" line, does it matter? It is a fine tweeter.

Widget
    I might be able to use it in applications where the original tweeter is no longer an option or just doesn't make sense. If I could "see" what it looks like, then I might know if it'd be worth it as a substitute for a driver with similar characteristics. As much as I'd love to pay $80 or $100 or $160 for a pair of used 044Tis in various conditions, I'd be equally happy spending $50 a pair for brand spanking new drivers that were essentially able to replace them.

Probably some tweaks required, but for me the hierarchy looks like this:
    Does it sound as good?
    Is it easy to get?
    Does it cost less?

If the answer to all three questions is "yes" then I'm in business.

Speaking of French audiophiles, it's interesting that on the Audax site JBL pops up from time to time. Currently a debate about the merits of JBL vs. D.A.S. drivers is going on.

http://www.dasaudio.com/

It's a site worth checking out. There's an English version.
    Out.

all this worry, research and talk for a $1 tweeter........

makes you wonder what the PS would sound like with a real tweeter inside.

Still thinking about making a 250Ti performance series speaker....if only I could find some cheap 250 boxes and some 800 parts........

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    makes you wonder what the PS would sound like with a real tweeter inside.
    It's fine, it is a real tweeter, it works fine in the application, let's not border on over-obsessing here........

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    let's not border on over-obsessing here........
    Why not????? ( and have some fun to), besides I haven't been on the forum for a long time so why not be over-obsessive...Ok, OK, I'll try not to be over-obsessive BUT only obsessive in the correct amount.

Personally I never thought twice about the tweeter before. And now I find out they use some cheap thingy.......

as long as the sound is OK, I quess it doesn't matter if it's a good tweeter or not......

Thread Information