Page 4 of 143 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

SSP Network

Here's a shot inside the cabinet to the Straight-Line Signal Path(TM) (SSP) crossover network. You can also see the gray-sheathed cable. It reads "JBL Optimum Performance Series(TM) Designed and Manufactured by Monster Cable(R) - Ultra High Purity Copper." I'd guess it to be 14Ga, but the sheathing is so thick it could be 16.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

IsoPower(TM) baffle

Since I had the cabinet open, here's a look at the IsoPower(TM) baffle that isolates the 8" woofer from the rest of the drivers.
    Out.

TI Tweeter

From the backside, the EOS WaveGuide(TM) is an oval with two mounting posts for the TI dome tweeter, which states "Made In France." Hmmm. Who could that be?
    Out.

904ti

The 904TI 4" midrange is a work of art that just can't be captured in a picture. You have to hold it, feel it, turn it to look at it. I can't show you the pistonic drive mechanism, or the unique truncated cone-shaped piston housing, the inverted dome... Oh well, for those of you who can only look through my camera lense, here's the back side.
    Out.

904TI redux

BTW, though the vent looks off-center in the picture, it's perfectly centered on the unit. I think the reflection of light appears to throw it off center.

I'm not a photographer in a studio--just a guy with a digital camera and a blue bedspread!
    Out.

908TI back

The surprisingly heavy 908TI is the 8" woofer. Its appearance is a bit more predictable, but pictures do not do it justice either. As with the 904TI, it uses an inverted dome and states "Made In USA" on the back.

I'm always glad to see that on a quality product.
    Out.

908TI side

Just to give you a perspective on the 908TI's depth and structure, here's a side view.
    Out.

904TI side

Here's a poor picture of the 904TI from the side, but it does show the truncated cone-shaped housing for the pistonic drive. You can almost see the perforated piston ring under the housing where the copper wire attches at the blue adhesion point. Or something like that...
    Out.

Mounting

For the perpetually curious, the 8" driver is held in place by four 5/32"x1" hex head stainless steel screws. The 4" driver and tweeter each are held in place by four 7/64"x3/4" hex head stainless steel screws.

On the bottom of each PT800 cabinet is a formed steel plate that both adds weight to the bottom of the enclosure and serves as the attachment point for the PT800 if it is docked on a PS1400. It's painted black.

I think that pretty much covers everything.

All I can say is that if you get a chance to audition these, do so. At $1500 (PC600, PT800) or $1599 (PS1400), these speakers are at the sweet spot. You'd have to spend a lot more per speaker to beat them IMO, yet they're close enough to be attainable by an average person (like me) who's willing to scrimp and save to get them.

I couldn't do that with $3k or $5k or $12k each speakers, yet I don't have to, because with the immutable Law of Diminishing Returns in the speaker world, I'll put these babies up against and challenge just about anything in the sub $10k category and feel like the winner every time.

Yes, I love 'em!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The 904TI 4" midrange is a work of art that just can't be captured in a picture. You have to hold it, feel it, turn it to look at it. I can't show you the pistonic drive mechanism, or the unique truncated cone-shaped piston housing, the inverted dome... Oh well, for those of you who can only look through my camera lense, here's the back side.
    Mr. Dome,

It sounds like you are in love.

Widget

I was married for 28 years, and had ten or twelve of the better years of my life. I've had my L100s for about 34 years and still love them as much as the day I first brought them home. I made sure they stayed with me after the settlement.

Now I've had the Performance Series for about a year, and so far my adoration of them continues to grow. If they last longer than twelve years, they'll beat my EX, and I'm hopeful I'll still adore them 30 years from now.
    Out.

SSP Network

I received a PM that the JPEG of the SSP(TM) cut off the left side, so here's a slightly better view. Now those of you who want to catalog the parts can see everything.
    Out.

906ti

For those who wondered what happened to the pictures of the 906TI, here they are. There are two of these in the PC600 center, along with a 904TI and a pure titanium tweeter. They're held in place by 5/32"x1" stainless steel screws, same as the 908TI in the PT800s.
    Out.

906TI redux

This profile shot shows the shielding on the magnet and the general shape of the cast aluminum frame. A peek inside the cabinet showed that the 904TI was shielded as well, though I did not take a photo. Guess I fell asleep.
    Out.

jandregg
    Great posting. It is nice to see some of the newer stuff.

John

Thread Information