Page 22 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The zip cord is 16ga.
    Sounds like good test material altho I'm sure it's not the purest of copper.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Oh, forgot to say....the main cables to the speakers...I'm using Kimber 8TC Plus PSS Silver.
    let me say this more clearly....the cables from the amp to the main speaker binding post on the woofer is Kimber 8TC Plus PSS Silver

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    It's not "he" crossing over, it's me, as this will end up being a function of either an AV receiver or outboard crossover.....................when docked, the 1400 and 800 are at 130, but I'm suspecting the sub1500 combo will sound better lower than that. We'll see. That is one of those things that is easy for me to hear, fortunately.
    I haven't had the plessure of hearing the PS to date, none in Nevada to be found, but the 130 xover, I would think, is way too high.

The original L212 xover to the B212 was at 70, and I am currently using 60 xover between the L212s and the sub1500s(using a HK635 receiver). Except on the 3 channels that are set to 'large', being they have 12" subs connected to them and then have the xovers at 40 between the 12" subs and the 1500s.
    At 80 xover you can still get localization of subs.

I've never understood the 130 xover thing. Although, the HK635 likes to set the LFE @ 120.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    I haven't had the plessure of hearing the PS to date, none in Nevada to be found, but the 130 xover, I would think, is way too high.

The original L212 xover to the B212 was at 70, and I am currently using 60 xover between the L212s and the sub1500s(using a HK635 receiver). Except on the 3 channels that are set to 'large', being they have 12" subs connected to them and then have the xovers at 40 between the 12" subs and the 1500s.
    At 80 xover you can still get localization of subs.

I've never understood the 130 xover thing. Although, the HK635 likes to set the LFE @ 120.
    I don't understand it either. I had hoped that Giskard had talked to GT about it since GT had a hand in both designs. I quess we will just have to trust GT's judgement on this

130Hz!

Since they are physically stacked closely together they will perform more like woofers, so I doubt the relatively high crossover frequency is a problem. I am sure JBL choose that frequency because they thought it necessary to protect the (Think California's Governator here) "the girlie 8" titanium woofers".

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Since they are physically stacked closely together they will perform more like woofers, so I doubt the relatively high crossover frequency is a problem. I am sure JBL choose that frequency because they thought it necessary to protect the (Think California's Governator here) "the girlie 8" titanium woofers".

Widget
    that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

all I know for sure is that they really sound wonderful and it works great. The mid-bass and mid-range detail is phenomenal and the way the drivers "seam" together is equally wonderful. Now that I've replaced the standard posts I'm really loving these things more and more.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    I don't understand it either. I had hoped that Giskard had talked to GT about it since GT had a hand in both designs. I quess we will just have to trust GT's judgement on this
    Then again, any of the newer sub xovers can be bypassed. I really like the HK635 eq, sub filters, if only the xover was in increaments of 10htz instead of 20.
    And I've never set the 1500s where the L/R L212s are and set the L212s on top. Maybe I should try it. The main problem would be that the 1500 boxes are 8" taller than the L212 bases.

MJC

Widget
    Maybe the "girlie 8" aren't as robust as the 112A/H are. Being the 112A's voice coil and magnet were actually designed for a 12" woofer.
    I have my center, and side surrounds setup much like the PS, having the B212s right below the SS(which are hanging on the walls). And a PB12 right beside the center L212. The 1500s are in the front corners.

Maybe the "girlie 8" aren't as robust as the 112A/H are.
    I am sure they are not...

I don't think they have the slam of the 112A/H either, but I bet they are more revealing of detail.... got to pick your battles.

Widget

MJC
    I am sure they are not...

I don't think they have the slam of the 112A/H either, but I bet they are more revealing of detail.... got to pick your battles.

Widget
    I'm sure the 8", as is the entire PS, is superb. But I have yet to find a JBL Sythesis dealer that has a showroom with the PS on display.
    Unfortunately, the days when all lines of JBL systems were sold in quality 'hifi shops' has long passed. Its been almost 20 years since I saw a pair of 250Ti in the local Circuit City. Not that CC would be considered quality. But what passes for JBL in Worst Buy these days, to say nothing of WB itself, leaves something to be desired. Except the BBs that have a Magnolia HT corner in them.

Just put in an old favorite - Ellington at NewPort and found it well - very lacking. Of course this is not the best recording; live, in 1956; but the music more than makes up for any technical workings. I found the bass player in the background very weak and Paul Gonsalves' Sax interval In "Diminendo and Crescendo in Blue", well I don't know how to explain it. But then maybe I'm jaded too. After some 46 years of hearing this on the C-35's ( and this is the type of music it was made for) with it's bigger than life sound, it was disappointing. I missed the growl and sassiness and emotion of the instructments. Again in "Diminendo and Crescendo in Blue" there's a point where the crowd starts to go wild and it was only barely there in terms of emotional impact. Over time i'm going to check out a few other Jazz artist,; Stan Kenton, Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie and without a doubt Don Ellis, plus many more.... we'll see how "newer" recordings sound.

Thank God I still have those old beast ( C-35's) for just this recording

Thumbs down BB Magnolia

... what passes for JBL in Worst Buy these days, to say nothing of WB itself, leaves something to be desired. Except the BBs that have a Magnolia HT corner in them.
    In nearby Torrance, CA there's a Magnolia on Pacific Coast Highway, then about 2 miles west on PCH is a BB with a Magnolia corner in it. When I took the PT800s (two) into the Magnolia to pit them against the Sonus Faber Cremona and the MartinLogan Ascent, the resulting chaos ended in a discussion of BB intending to carry some higher JBL stuff in the Magnolia section of their stores. The floor manager was adamant that there had been some training material about the Performance Series and the sales guy claimed to recognize the PT800s when I brought them in the door.

I thought there might be some truth to this, as Magnolia associates would have the same access to JBL that regular BB folks do, at least since the acquisition.

Anyway, I sucked in my pride and visited BB to check out the Magnolia corner, and no one there knew a thing about the Performance Series, or anything else for tht matter. They seemed like typical BB hacks in nicer shirts.
    Out.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    When I took the PT800s (two) into the Magnolia to pit them against the Sonus Faber Cremona and the MartinLogan Ascent, the resulting chaos ended in a discussion of BB intending to carry some higher JBL stuff in the Magnolia section of their stores.
    Have you described this encounter in an earlier thread? Chaos? How did this go - how did the PT800's stack up? (No LF units?)

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Have you described this encounter in an earlier thread? Chaos? How did this go - how did the PT800's stack up? (No LF units?)

John

I'll see if I can find that guy's business card. The story's no good without the associate's name. I just remember that the name was apropos.
    Out.

Widget
    Not acccording to the manual. It is a performance issue when docked and using the internal crossover. Otherwise they are crossed at 80.

Thread Information