Page 20 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    That is why I think my forthcoming combo of PT800 on top of sub1500 will be good. Giskard is working on them now.
    I also still have my 4430's and will post an AB comparison later, maybe midsummer.
    what is he crossing over at .....130??? like the PS system?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome

you almost had me believing in those thin, weak pussies. Cant' wait.
    Gees..can't we just stop talking about Paris Hilton in these posts?

That is why I think my forthcoming combo of PT800 on top of sub1500 will be good. Giskard is working on them now.
    I also still have my 4430's and will post an AB comparison later, maybe midsummer.
    Yeah, you're a lucky duck. If those sub1500s don't work out, let me know.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    what is he crossing over at .....130??? like the PS system?
    It's not "he" crossing over, it's me, as this will end up being a function of either an AV receiver or outboard crossover.....................when docked, the 1400 and 800 are at 130, but I'm suspecting the sub1500 combo will sound better lower than that. We'll see. That is one of those things that is easy for me to hear, fortunately.

Yeah, you're a lucky duck. If those sub1500s don't work out, let me know.
    They have to work out as I am at the end of my audio/$ journey for awhile. Don't see where I'd need to work on improving it for awhile anyway. Just need to work on a better front end.

They have to work out as I am at the end of my audio/$ journey for awhile. Don't see where I'd need to work on improving it for awhile anyway. Just need to work on a better front end.
    You've got to think creatively. If you sell them to me, then you've got cash to keep the journey alive.
    Out.

I couldn't sell them for what they are worth to try to replace. I'd still need bass modules and would spend more to get arguably less. These things weren't much money on PE, but try to find something comparable to replace them with............

It's not "he" crossing over, it's me, as this will end up being a function of either an AV receiver or outboard crossover.....................when docked, the 1400 and 800 are at 130, but I'm suspecting the sub1500 combo will sound better lower than that. We'll see. That is one of those things that is easy for me to hear, fortunately.
    10-4. I didn't know if Giskard was also creating a crossover for you.

ha ........see......... we could alwayse start talking about nicky hilton ..no ..how about pamela anderson....no how about beonce..no how about my tiks....i think they are sexier than all the above
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Dome:

There's something you should try here ( mikebake you can try this with Bob's also if you get time).

Now, i know it won't look classy( but that can taken care of later) and maybe even a little tacky looking ( and reguardless of how we tease each other Dome, you are a gentleman and a class act)

last night, I pulled out some 16gauge monster cable I've had sitting around and cut a piece and then replaced the gold-plated brass connectors between the 1400 and 800 with the wire. I only did one side first ( right side)

I then set the pre-amp to mono so I would get the same sound out both speakers ( using a MAC C40 pre-amp) and then A/B'ed them for a awhile by using the balance knob.

BIG DIFFERENCE, very big. Now this is with little control testing so there may some subjectiveness to it and I'm going to do futher testing, BUT.....
    this is what I heard.

the first thing that strikes you is the side with the standard connectors ( let's call this side C for connector) is "Louder" than the wired side( and let's call this side W for wire). As I listened closer, I noticed that side C had more of a "glare" than side W that caused the mid-range to "stand out" and the mid-bass to "back-off". The glare seem to affect the entire soundstage also, as if that was the background upon which everything was presented and also made the soundstage sound more 2 dimensional. Side W seemed to have more "black" upon which the music seem to come from( I know, I'm using audiophile terms, but it's all I have) and the soundstage was more 3 dimensional.

I then used some 12gauge Monster with the typical results ( larger bloom, less articulate)

Uh-oh, got a thunderstrom coming in, so I'll to make this short if possible)

well, I'll write more later, but bottom-line is that I'm going to test this a lot more and it would be interesting to see if you other guys come to the same conculsion ( even if we use different terms for what we hear)

got to start working also........

Hey, I didn't say, "Thin, HAIRLESS, and weak."
    Out.

Dome:

last night, I pulled out some 16gauge monster cable I've had sitting around and cut a piece and then replaced the gold-plated brass connectors between the 1400 and 800 with the wire. I only did one side first ( right side)

I then set the pre-amp to mono so I would get the same sound out both speakers ( using a MAC C40 pre-amp) and then A/B'ed them for a awhile by using the balance knob.

BIG DIFFERENCE, very big. Now this is with little control testing so there may some subjectiveness to it and I'm going to do futher testing, BUT.....
    this is what I heard.

I then used some 12gauge Monster with the typical results ( larger bloom, less articulate)

Okay, I truncated your reponse, but I did read the whole thing.

I'm not at all suprised that this happened. Since the gold connectors are on the back of my L7s, I replaced them with wire some years ago and got a big improvement. Honestly, there were times when I just couldn't get a decent, consistent connection to both terminals with the strapping bars, so they had to go. Later I bi-amped and didn't need the connection at all.

The Performance Series stack seems to have much better design, but you're correct that it is not an ideal connection. It's more about design than performance. Now that you're forcing my hand (I HAVE to keep up.), I'll give it a go. If it works, as I'm sure it will, I'll have to buy some bad-ass looking wire to make it look cool again.

Can you be more specific about 16ga vs 12 ga?
    Out.

16ga is speaker wire yoused mainly in car audio and you can purchase them from any car audio store ...the reason i know this is i just brought some for my cherokee and jbl car amp.....

funny enough the 12 gauge is a slimmer speaker wire but i brought some costing me 5* that of the 16gauge

this is the kind i purchased ......i brought it from my jbl dealer......
    http://www.monstercable.com/uk/productpage.asp?pin=1625

it has a seperate plastic wire in the middle for the bass signal very cool ...very expensive ...very nice
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Hey, I didn't say, "Thin, HAIRLESS, and weak."

Okay, I truncated your reponse, but I did read the whole thing.

I'm not at all suprised that this happened. Since the gold connectors are on the back of my L7s, I replaced them with wire some years ago and got a big improvement. Honestly, there were times when I just couldn't get a decent, consistent connection to both terminals with the strapping bars, so they had to go. Later I bi-amped and didn't need the connection at all.

The Performance Series stack seems to have much better design, but you're correct that it is not an ideal connection. It's more about design than performance. Now that you're forcing my hand (I HAVE to keep up.), I'll give it a go. If it works, as I'm sure it will, I'll have to buy some bad-ass looking wire to make it look cool again.

sure as time allows ( 16 vs 12)

Now, understand, that I just used what was lieing around ( or better put what was in one of my many boxes of stuff) and all I did was just hook it up bare wire. This was just a quickie test to see if I could hear anything. I'm going to dig much deeper into this. Most likely I will finally use some form of Kimber ( 8TC ?) and silver and create a braided Franken-cable thingy.

I'll touch base on the details later. for now try this. get a CD that has a lot of different sounds in all ranges[( mid-base, mid range) I used Eurythmics - greatest hits, Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree, and Vangelis] and turn the bases off and just listen deeply , then put one 16ga wire on and compare, then do both.

Bottom-line, one BIG.. FUCKING difference ( to me anyway). You milage may vary of course. and I have something to say about the reviewers also when I get time. By the way you mentioned a review that was NOT favorable - who was it and is it on the web ( tried to find your reference but couldn't)

Thread Information