Page 2 of 143 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Re: Where o where can u get these ???

Originally posted by jblnut
    Damn those look nice ! And I'm sure they sound even better !

... So - where the hell can I find/order these ??? Any idea what he can expect to pay for the full 5.1 setup ?

jblnut
    The best source is at www.harmanaudio.com since it's an official outlet and the prices are discounted by a third. These are remanufactured with full factory warranties. The $1500 PT800 and PC600 speakers are right around $1000, and the $1599 PS1400 is around $1100.

Go to the site and check out the "Specials" drop down menus on the left. Select the "JBL Home" setting in the "Search By Brand" drop down and you go to a long page of JBL speakers. Once it's loaded scroll all the way to the bottom and there you'll see Performance Series and even occasionally TiK speakers listed.

I haven't seen any K2s there, though!
    Out.

Cool

The PC600 Center has two 6" titanium drivers, one mounted on either side of the tweeter and 4" midrange. The use of tweeter and midrange that are identical to the PT800 in a vertical orientation really helps to stablize the soundstage and allows for very smooth panning across the front. The timbre match is so close that JBL says the PC600 and PT800 can be used interchangeable, and really I cannot tell the difference without looking.

On the other hand, why build a center unless it does something special? And this one does by keeping the soundstage intact while providing plenty of midbass oomph when needed. Dialog is clear.

I prefer the enclosure design over some of the straight across designs that we've seen and continue to see in some speaker lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Cool The Defeated

A sad group of L7s and L5s awaits redistribution, along with an SVA1800. All found new life in additional systems and joined the original JBL L100 Century speakers serving their master as he saw fit.

Anyway...the old JBLs were bowed but not broken, and they're still operating with dignity. I just can't seem to part with them, even though my GF keeps asking, "Why do you need so many speakers?"
    Out.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Earl K
    Any chance of posting pictures of the individual components?
    Ditto!

Cool

Originally posted by Giskard
    Ditto!
    If by that you mean take them out of the enclosures, then the short answer is "No." At this point I'm not prepared to dismantle them, although I do think about it from time to time.

However, if you mean close ups, I've done that and I'll post them. I tried to keep the resolution as high as the forum will accept so you can zoom in if you want. I can't vouch for the resolution of imgaes taken off the forum, however. Here's the 8" titanium alloy woofer.
    Out.

Cool

Okay, I had to reduce the resolution due to forum image size limits. So I hope the images are still useful. The visual difference between the 8" driver and the 4" driver isn't much, but I'll include it with this post.

The 4" is titanium rather than a titanium alloy. The fit and finish of these babies is extraordinary. Aren't they beautiful?
    Out.

Cool

Then there's the 1" titanium dome tweeter with EOS Waveguide. This is a real dome, whereas the 8" and 4" drivers are inverted domes, though that's hard to see in the pictures.

The three tweeters across the front soundstage (L/C/R) merge those upper highs very well, due I believe to the effectiveness of the Waveguide. Panning across the front is spectacular. For example, the cymbals running back and forth across the front on Deep Purple's Speed King never sounded so good.

The high frequency synth sounds buzzing around Telarc's Spectacular on a full PLII Cirrus ES 7.1 are seamless thanks to the Waveguide's effectiveness in creating complete dispersion patterns side to side and front to back.
    Out.

Cool

For music, it's fine to leave the speaker grills off, but for HT the speakers can be visually distracting. Often they look better than what's on the screen.

Here's what it looks like with the grilles on. It really tones them down appearance wise.
    Out.

Cool

Sorry I don't have a better image of the sub, but then you've all seen Aquaplas subs before. In my case, it's mostly a matter of not wanting to kneel down to get a good shot. I can get down; it's the getting up that's the problem.
    Out.

Cool

And finally, for a little perspective, here's a profile view of a stacked Performance unit. Despite its wide face, the PT800 has a slim profile from front to back. This makes it a little unstable if you simple plop it on a traditonal speaker stand, so if you have kids or pets don't do that unless you attach it securely.

The PT800 and PS1400 are a rock solid unit however. Docking the units is straightforward. All the parts are supplied, the directions are simple, and everything fits perfectly--no squeezing, bending, forcing needed.

The disassembly and reassembly of some parts requires a bit of care, but it's all explained fully. Those with big hands might find the final step, securing bolts to the bottom plate of the PT800, a bit tight, and unless you lie on the floor, it's a blind step, but I had no problem with it.

You can also see more clearly in this picture the octoganal shape of the PT800 and PS1400 enclosures. Eliminating the 90 degree corners on the long axis of the enclosure and making the enclosures different dimensions front to back and side to side really cuts down on enclosure harmonics and driver interference due to enclosure dynamics.

From this angle, the PT800 looks much more delicate that it does from the front and much smaller than the PS1400.
    Out.

Angry

Sorry for the white jitter around some of the enclosure edges. Not sure why that's there except as an artifact of compression and reducing the resolution.
    Out.

RIP 2009
    What I'm curious about is the voice coil size for the 4", 6", and 8" drivers. For example, does the 8" have something like a 3" VC suspended in a spider, with the VC somehow attached to the back of the 8" inverted dome? Or is the voice coil actually at the outer edges, more like a HF unit? Are the 4, 6, and 8 inch sizes all built the same way?

John

Smile

Yep ,

Fantastic looking stuff.

As a long time SR sort of guy , I have to admit to being very attracted to that "look" of naked Ti diaphragms embedded in black granite obelisks .

Sci-Fi fans can fill in the rest themselves .

Earl K

Lightbulb

Hi John

Here's todays prices from Harman for the relevant components in the PT800.
    Maybe someone here will purchase a pair of these shielded 4" Ti mids to try in their 250ti(s) - just as a lark .

< Earl K

Thumbs up

Hi

And here are todays' prices for the components found in the PC600 .

<> Earl K

Thread Information