Page 19 of 143 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

OK Dome:

time for you to come clean now and face your own bias....

I spent over an hour writing a good first review about the PS and even using a good story about the girl... and did you respond??...Noooooooooooooooo, not a word.... nothing....silence.....

BUT!!!! let me say a few good things about the 4430's and boy you're all over me. come on now face it, you know ya did...

Hey Dome:

On a more serious note here. Have you used wires instead of the gold plated brassy things that come with the speakers to "dock" the 800's with the 1400's?

Just wondering if you have. I'm going to try it see what happens. Maybe you could guide me on that if you have.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    OK Dome:
    Dome is the Performance Series ambassador...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    yes, big time and I'm glad he is....( makes it so easy to tease)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

Widget
    Thanks, I think.

By now I hoped someone from Harman or JBL would see me whoring myself like this and send me something, like some K2 S9800s. THEN I'd love horns again!
    Out.

Hey Dome:

On a more serious note here. Have you used wires instead of the gold plated brassy things that come with the speakers to "dock" the 800's with the 1400's?

Just wondering if you have. I'm going to try it see what happens. Maybe you could guide me on that if you have.

No, I haven't. With the speaker wire I use, it'd ruin the illusion of class. I've got 12G oxygen free, generic, clear plastic sheathed, braided cable from a local electronics mom & pop shop. Now, if I got some hoity-toity, overpriced Monster super teflon/carbon/silver/gold-plated sleeved cable in designer covers, then, well hell yeah!

Seriously, I think it's well worth trying, and I'm interested in your result. Those metal plates look good, but they don't always give the best connection.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Thanks, I think.

By now I hoped someone from Harman or JBL would see me whoring myself !
    Dome:

you've got to get away from those gang filled streets, they're having a bad influence on you. Please no more whoring... you're much better than that.

OK Dome:

I spent over an hour writing a good first review about the PS and even using a good story about the girl... and did you respond??...Noooooooooooooooo, not a word.... nothing....silence.....

BUT!!!! let me say a few good things about the 4430's and boy you're all over me. come on now face it, you know ya did...

Biased? Me?

Okay, maybe a little.

Actually, I was waiting for the other shoe to fall in your review. You were very nice in your first impressions, and it made me feel giddy, like a girl in springtime. Yet my own first in-home impression was far less favorable. I thought I'd just wasted months of searching and a few thousand bucks.

If I wouldn't have had prior listening in Chicago and LA and also the J. Gordon Holt article from Ultimate AV, I'd have been suicidal. So I was thinking These can't be so much better that he's already forgotten his babies. I knew they'd be a lot different, but not necessarily better in your opinion. So, I waited...
    Out.

Dome:

it's interesting about these puppies...even today they seem to change. I left them on all day and just listen to "Dark Side of Moon" earlier and my mouth dropped.

also, from reading the review you told me about ( and what you wrote) I knew to just "wait it out". I'm sure some of this is me, BUT, I swear these speakers seem to open up more and more every day. I've never been one to buy the break in period of stereo stuff, but with these I can see it happening. damn...what a trip.

Actually, I was waiting for the other shoe to fall in your review. You were very nice in your first impressions, and it made me feel giddy, like a girl in springtime. Yet my own first in-home impression was far less favorable. I thought I'd just wasted months of searching and a few thousand bucks.

well, I had you as a guide to go by and I had already heard them open up so I thought I'll address the obvious about how they look VS the sound. They had opened up enough for me write about that. I must admit that the first day or two I was kicking myself for buying them. Tonight is the first time it really knocked my socks off so I'm going back and revisiting early CD's and yes, it's not all me, these things have opened up a lot today.

What makes it all the more interesting is the LE14H-3 is pretty much ready to go out of the box, while the Ti drivers with their rubber surrounds do need a bit of limbering up. So, while I think the LE14H-3 doesn't change its character, its sound seems to be changing a bit as the Ti drivers settle in.
    Out.

What makes it all the more interesting is the LE14H-3 is pretty much ready to go out of the box, while the Ti drivers with their rubber surrounds do need a bit of limbering up. So, while I think the LE14H-3 doesn't change its character, its sound seems to be changing a bit as the Ti drivers settle in.
    yes, the whole thing is amazing to watch really. I'm not sure what is changing, surrounds, titanium drivers, or all of the above but it's really nice what's happening.

the next week will be "balls to walls" business wise ( and posting so much the last week didn't help) so I may not be around as much.

well, got to go. we'll continue this later.

thanks Dome......

Arrow Unscientific viewpoint

If I had thought about this at the time, I could have used a calibrated mic and FuzzMeasure on my PowerBook to verify these anecdotal statements. At this time, it's already too late for you to keep a log of measurements, too, since the so-called break-in process is so far along.

Having said that, my impression is that the top and the bottom ends of these speakers don't change much. As noted earlier, I think the LE14H-3 requires little or no time to get up to speed. Additionally, I'd be surprised if the Ti EOS WaveGuide tweeter goes through any real transformation; we've had Ti tweeters for a long time, and I've never noticed any discernible break-in improvement. I have noticed degradation over time (a long time--decades), which is altogether different.

So where's the transformation taking place? My guess (remember, no stats to support this) is in the 904TI and 908TI drivers. The midrange and upper bass are the areas where "openness" and "presence" tend to be noticed, anyway, so if we're hearing changes that would be the place to listen.

The other possibility, as you noted, is the slow decompression of your own ears' listening habits and patterns. It's a well accepted doctrine that our ears and brain are fickle in regards to sound, and if we don't have constant reinforcement, we tend to migrate sonically to what sounded better last. That's one reason in store auditons are so treacherous.

A common scientific standard for persistence of sound in an ABX test is around 30 seconds. That's how long the average listener can hold on to a sonic signature before it begins to change. So, if it takes more than 30 seconds to go from A to B to X, the test isn't useful. That's one reason why such tests are a pain in the ass and why only a company like Harman International has the scratch to build a state of the art testing facility with rotating paltforms, instantaneous switching, trained and untrained listeners, etc.

It'll be exciting when you bring your babes (4430s) in and do your AB comparison. Will your hearing aesthetic be different enough that you'll think, "My gosh, those things are brash," or will the old aesthetic reassert itself so you'll think, "Dammit Dome, you almost had me believing in those thin, weak pussies. The 4430, now THIS is music the way God, JBL, and California meant it to be!"?

Cant' wait.
    Out.

"It'll be exciting when you bring your babes (4430s) in and do your AB comparison. Will your hearing aesthetic be different enough that you'll think, "My gosh, those things are brash," or will the old aesthetic reassert itself so you'll think, "Dammit Dome, you almost had me believing in those thin, weak pussies. The 4430, now THIS is music the way God, JBL, and California meant it to be!"? "

You may be in for a surprise. I had my XPL-200A clones up against my 4344's and it was a real ear opener. Those titanium drivers 093 and 096 did a very good job. I had more issues with the lower midrange and woofers where the XPL's are outclassed by the 2235 and 2122 in the 4344. They can't give you the same max SPL but what they do cover they do well. I would expect these to do even better. I am curious to see what you guys think. I have never tried the XPL's against my mains where I use 2344's. One thing for sure is the 4430 won't have the upper 10K-20K clarity and extension that your Performance series has. The 4344 has the 4430 beat in that area with the 2405 running the last octave.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606

You may be in for a surprise. I had my XPL-200A clones up against my 4344's and it was a real ear opener. Those titanium drivers 093 and 096 did a very good job. I had more issues with the lower midrange and woofers where the XPL's are outclassed by the 2235 and 2122 in the 4344.

Rob
    That is why I think my forthcoming combo of PT800 on top of sub1500 will be good. Giskard is working on them now.
    I also still have my 4430's and will post an AB comparison later, maybe midsummer.

Thread Information