Page 18 of 143 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    That's one of the reasons you were able to talk her into getting them......You got to keep your priorities straight!
    You bet!!! What would have happened if I had said, you know Honey-bun, since I just got these speakers, why don't we just cancel all our plans so I can spend all weekend listening to them. You can watch TV can't you? :shock:

Dome:

it really has been a busy weekend, small trips, friends, dinners out, people showing up from Texas

one of the coolest ......very nice i am sure you are in jbl heaven

is this like an all in one system .

i checked jbl site pta1800 (1500*4) 6000
    ps1400 (1600*2) 3200
    pc600 (1500*1) 1500

that would reach 10700.......impresive all in one system most impressive

titaniumdome tweeter....i can tell you and me are the youngest in this forum....no offence intended ...but all threads are like talking and discusing real old vintage speakers.... thats all and i know you have vintage speakers too ..but atleast you can hear the new technology in your home
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Ok, lunch time, got a few minutes. I've only played these things about 20 hours or so and I would like to wait until after 30 to really write about them ( things have not gone as planned)

However, I will start the process on my "review". First thing I would like to address are the Titanium drivers. I think it was Giskard who said it best " they do not sound like they look, if they sounded like metal flapping in the wind, I'd say so". To look at them you would think that they would sound like metal, titanium, harsh, tinney, cold, lacking depth, too sharp, shrill, edgy, no soundstage, flat etc. Nothing could be further from that, they sound natural, full, musical.

"I can't believe it's not butter"

This is the first thing that strikes you about these puppies ( looks vs sound) and it really messes with your mind. They have the warmth and richness of cones. I can't look at the drivers ( grills off) while they are playing, it just messes with my head.

"A Tale of two Cities"
    There are two basic extremes that come to play with stereo goodies. If something sounds "musical" then it lacks detail. If it has the details then it doesn't sound musical. However, the titanium drivers somehow find a very wonderful and ( IMHO) extremely rare balance - they are very revealing in detail BUT they also do it musically - very musically and they can take power and lots of it. And as the power is added they do not change their basic character. NO distortion, NO distortion...... just incredible sounding music...

I will write about comparing these to other speakers in other posts, but I will say this. I think it was Giskard again, in talking about the 250TI's in comparison to horns he said the 250's are more polite. So are these in comparison to horn based speakers. The point I'm making here is that I see the PS speakers as feminne and my 4430's ( or horn based speakers in general) as masculine.

"off to the movies"
    have you ever seen a lady in a movie who looks like a librarian - hair up, glasses, clothes unflattering? you think to yourself, Ok, she's attractive, clean looking, BUT nothing you'll want to ask out on a date - after all she looks so plain, sterile, clinical, cold.... Only to see her later in the film and there she is at a party with her glasses off, hair down her back, in a long silky, clinging dress, with a low cut back, slit along one side up to her thigh and low cut in the front revealing a lot and you think..WOW...did I totally misjudge her,what an absolute babe and a half!! only the next part of the movie she's now dressed in black leather ( like the girl in the Matrix) jumping on a big old harley and driving off to save the world, driving at 100 miles an hour weaving between cars and shifting gears with grace and percision and then fights 100 men and beats them? Ok, you think..she's beautiful, sleek, polished and can can handle great power between her legs ( the harley, the harley now). WOW..

that's what comes to mind after listening to the performance series so far. WoW...did I misjudge these things by judging them by how they looked.

Botton-line.... wonderful sounding speakers, sound nothing like how they look.

as time goes on I'll discuss the soundstage, highs, mids, midbase and base along with comparisons to other speakers ( horn based, cone based, martin-logans etc)

Time to work.

i was just reading through this thread ...and i was flabergasted(dont know if the spelling is correct)....put a gun to my head and pull the trigger ...how can u do that ...poor speaker ...i hope u had it under anestisia when u disected your speaker the way u did ...i am telling u ...you either know what you are doing or you have cahoonas as steel ....

i am imagining pulling the guts of my ti6k ....ouch again the thought hurts ....( i actualy got up and kissed my vaders ....i bet between you and me we all did it at some point (kiss our speakers )...i alwayse do when i feel totaly in adoration for them witch is all the time ....they like it ...

try the following cds on your speakers ....

tatu 200 kmh in the wrong lane
    maddona ...american life
    dido
    these are abit old but sound great on any system any mood your in youl have a big smile at the end of the day...
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Quote Originally Posted by amadeo
    one of the coolest ......very nice i am sure you are in jbl heaven

is this like an all in one system .

i checked jbl site pta1800 (1500*4) 6000
    ps1400 (1600*2) 3200
    pc600 (1500*1) 1500

that would reach 10700.......impresive all in one system most impressive
    I've got a 7.1 set up, so there's six PT800 speakers and three PS1400s. Fortunately, I didn't pay full retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by amadeo
    titaniumdome tweeter....i can tell you and me are the youngest in this forum....no offence intended ...but all threads are like talking and discusing real old vintage speakers.... thats all and i know you have vintage speakers too ..but atleast you can hear the new technology in your home
    Yes, I'm an advocate of advancing technology while still preserving the legacy of the past. There wouldn't be a Performance Series if not for the 250Ti or an L250 if not for the 4315.
    Out.

Dido

Dido is one of my favorites. Even though I'm an old guy, I'm all the way into dance, trance, electronica, and club mix. When I put the system into 7 Stereo and pump it up, the walls move in and out to the beat. I have to open a window to get more air into the room to keep it from imploding. (Okay, I'm kidding, a little.)
    Out.

i was woundering why did you go with the performance series and not the gorgeous tik series since you have heard them and saw them in real life it is very hard to part ways ..what was your secret

i never heard the perf speakers but ...iam telling you my tik and i am not only saying this because i own them ..but i can hear every thing in any cd talk about being in the studio while the recording is taking place...in tatu i can easily hear the girls take a breath in between lines..i swear you wont believe me but i can hear the singers lips part and close (the sound in between a kiss)

i was woundering is your speaker as detailed as that ...i wish i could hear your speakers...id love to hear the differance
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Arrow Three things influenced my choice

The first thing was the driver complement.The PT800 contained three Titanium drivers that had a uniform sonic and aesthetic appeal to me. Once I heard the seamless way the drivers complemented each other, I was hooked. I liked the tweeter's use of the EOS WaveGuide, too and the IsoPower baffle was a key selling point. (I was also intrigued by the TiK's unique baffle design.)

As I noted elsewhere, the 4" Titanium inverted dome midrange is the key to the speaker's sonic quality, and the TiKs have this driver, too, so in that respect the sound is quite the same in the midrange.

The second thing was over all system flexibility. The Performance Series was much more flexible than the TiK series as far as placement, docking, wall mounting, buying single speakers, and so on.

The third thing was availability. Here in the US, TiK was hard to come by, and the TiK sub was not even available to us. Since I was looking at a complete HT set up, the sub was an integral part to me. The TiK sub is probably the best consumer sub JBL has, so it was disappoointing not to be able to get it.

Even though the Performance Series was also difficult to get, it was at least possible to get all parts of it, including the excellent sub.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The first thing was the driver complement.The PT800 contained three Titanium drivers that had a uniform sonic and aesthetic appeal to me. Once I heard the seamless way the drivers complemented each other, I was hooked.
    Ain't it sweet? soooo nice

Save me a google search that may take hours........what do these puppies run ballpark? I know I'm being nosey!

RIP 2009
    Here they are, (bottom of page), direct from Harman - "remanufactured", (??), but with full warranty: http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...JBL&market=HOM

John

harmanaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    Save me a google search that may take hours........what do these puppies run ballpark? I know I'm being nosey!
    Harman refurbished prices: PC600-$1050; PT800-$1050; PS1400-$1119

From time to time online or on eBay, they've been $660-880, but few and far between at this price.
    Out.

The dealer I bought from in Ca. gave me a nice discount below the harmon page ( about $200 off for 800's and 250 for the 1400's).

these are very, very nice speakers for the money.

"From time to time online or on eBay, they've been $660-880, but few and far between at this price."

yes, very seldom at any price, can't count on them.

As I said in my reveiw earlier ( and I'll be listing more as I get the time). In comparsion to horn based systems these are "polite" so to speak ,so if you are a horn fan, these will take some getting use to. I'm still "getting use" to them. also, as I said earlier the 4430's are a hard act to follow. I guess you could say I'm "decompressing" from the compression horns.

at this point, I'm not sure which I like better. But then it's kind of like comparing a Hummer ( 4430's) to a finely tuned sports car. It's not that one is better than the other, just a diferent creature all together.

Of course a horn speaker gives you incredible dynamics that only they can do. Anytime you put a 15" woofer ( C-35's, L300, 4430's, 4435's etc.) and horn together you get something very special.

Zilch said it pretty good about the 4430's incomparsion to 4425's.....

"4430's have bigger, deeper bass, and the overall sound is more "transparent." 4425's, I'm aware there's speakers between me and the music. 4430's kinda "disappear," sonically speaking."

the 4430's do disappear and creates and amazingly hugh soundstage, with everything very 3D. there are times when listening to them I feel that I could reach out and touch the sounds as they floated by....

the PS speakers don't give me this feeling and some times I miss it very much ( to get close I have to turn up the volumn of the PS speakers). Don't get me wrong, the soundstage of the PS speakers is very, very good and imaging is very good. It's just when you have a 15" woofer to create the "foundation" and a compression horn with it's dynamics matched as the 4430's are, it's something special indeed.

Now, i'm not putting one speaker above the other. It's an unfair comparsion and of course the PS speakers do many things that the 4430's can't do.

of course at this point I'm STILL in love with horns and the 4430's in particular. I haven't "fallen in love" with the PS speakers yet, but over time I most likely will. I wish I could keep both, but I don't have the room.

got to go to work. I'll write more.

Wink the plot thickens

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959

As I said in my reveiw earlier ( and I'll be listing more as I get the time). In comparsion to horn based systems these are "polite" so to speak ,so if you are a horn fan, these will take some getting use to. I'm still "getting use" to them. also, as I said earlier the 4430's are a hard act to follow. I guess you could say I'm "decompressing" from the compression horns.
    That's a good analogy and a play on words. Well done!

at this point, I'm not sure which I like better. But then it's kind of like comparing a Hummer ( 4430's) to a finely tuned sports car. It's not that one is better than the other, just a diferent creature all together.
    Decidedly different. I think you're being a bit dishonest with yourself: you obviously have a long, loving relationships with horns, and they are still your emotional first choice at this point. It's okay to be up front about it, and you do come clean later on.

Of course a horn speaker gives you incredible dynamics that only they can do. Anytime you put a 15" woofer ( C-35's, L300, 4430's, 4435's etc.) and horn together you get something very special.
    My rewrite: Anytime you put a 15" woofer and horn together you get something very unique.

Zilch said it pretty good about the 4430's incomparsion to 4425's.....

"4430's have bigger, deeper bass, and the overall sound is more "transparent." 4425's, I'm aware there's speakers between me and the music. 4430's kinda "disappear," sonically speaking."

the 4430's do disappear and creates and amazingly hugh soundstage, with everything very 3D. there are times when listening to them I feel that I could reach out and touch the sounds as they floated by....

the PS speakers don't give me this feeling and some times I miss it very much ( to get close I have to turn up the volumn of the PS speakers). Don't get me wrong, the soundstage of the PS speakers is very, very good and imaging is very good. It's just when you have a 15" woofer to create the "foundation" and a compression horn with it's dynamics matched as the 4430's are, it's something special indeed.
    This reminds me of a guy who guiltily goes on a first date with his new mistress and spends the evening talking about his wife.

Now, i'm not putting one speaker above the other. It's an unfair comparsion and of course the PS speakers do many things that the 4430's can't do.

of course at this point I'm STILL in love with horns and the 4430's in particular. I haven't "fallen in love" with the PS speakers yet, but over time I most likely will. I wish I could keep both, but I don't have the room.

got to go to work. I'll write more.
    I've had a little fun with you about this, but it sounds like you do have a choice to make. You'll know in a week or two after you've decompressed some more.

I'm lucky enough to have space for a number of different set ups, and I still listen to the horn system I have, but it's no 4430. The horns seem brash and forward now, wheras before they seemed dynamic and broad. I think it's a matter of acclimation to a certain extent, just like the guys who got the first L250s because they were JBL's next great thing, then said, " is this? I want my horns back!"

Question: Do you still have the 4430s in the room and if so are they still in the primary position? Asked another way: Are you limiting your ability to move the Performance Series around the room to find its optimum placement? When I got my old speakers out of the room, things improved, and when I moved mine another 12" out from the front wall, the difference was discernible and good.

I'm fascinated to see how this develops for you. Thanks for sharing it.
    Out.

Decidedly different. I think you're being a bit dishonest with yourself: you obviously have a long, loving relationships with horns, and they are still your emotional first choice at this point. It's okay to be up front about it, and you do come clean later on.

yes, they are my "emotional first choice" and I fully admit it to myself ( and to the forum). That's another reason why I'm waiting to review. But I've also had non-horn speakers that I truely loved too, so I've been thru this before.

This reminds me of a guy who guiltily goes on a first date with his new mistress and spends the evening talking about his wife..
    and just how would you know something like that . Seriously tho, I was trying to put things in a better prespective as far as my background and subjective bias

as far as speaker placement, The PS speakers have taken "Center Stage" otherwise I would have truely been dishonest with myself. I haven't gotten into testing out various positions within the room yet but will ( but that's fine tuning). they are about 17" from the wall toed inward just a little.

I also know that what one remembers is always subject to question also when we "love" something or someone we don't see it as it really is. What I plan to do is to "break them" in and listen to them and then put 4430'a and PS side by side and compare.

but really, they are totally different creatures.

right now ( today, my opinion could change tomorrow).

1. My emotional state is still with the 4430's and I'm bias, big time
    2. I'm really enjoying the PS speakers and think they are wonderful. But, I haven't had that much time with them. You yourself had these next to your other speakers and went back and forth for a week comparing. I'm sure that once I play them side by side a lot of the subjective "in love" stuff will fade to some degree.

God, it's fun..

Thread Information