Page 17 of 143 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Talking And so it begins...

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Ok, first impressions..... I'm hearing things that I've never heard before....really!!! Wife said to me " Those look nice". WOW, never heard that before.

I'll let them run for a few days more.
    A) My girlfriend said almost the same thing: "Those look neat." High praise however they say it, since women are more highly influenced in opinions by visual cues. (Not just my opinion, do a search on female sensory perception and preferences.)

B) I'll be curious if you have a similar experience to mine after a day or two.
    Out.

Regis

Congrats!

It must've been very exciting to get all those neat-o boxes packed with JBL goodness inside! And you ate too? It sounds like they're performing to all your expectations (at least when you turn the bass on!) and then some! I'm gonna have to hear one of these systems one of these days!

[QUOTE=JBLnsince1959]well, got the performance series today, inside and working! Opps, time to eat, I'll write more later [QUOTE=JBLnsince1959]

Red face Separation anxiety (or Getting It Outta da Box)

I was waiting for them and they arrived at 9:40AM. The truck driver just drop off the pallet they were on in the drive way, so I had to get everything inside myself . Usually not a major issue, but I've pulled my right shoulder and thanks to diabeties it's been very slow to heal, somethings I just can't do. the PT800 were not much of a problem if my left arm took most the weight but the 1400's !!!! Slooooowly I "walked" them to the door, up the 3 steps, thru the house ( to grandma's house we go - oh wrong song, sorry), and down the basement stairs. Then I had to get them out of boxes without destorying the boxes.
    I don't know how you did the PS1400s by yourself with an injured shoulder. I was supposedly in good health when I got my pallet in the driveway. I did the easy stuff first, five PT800s and the PC600, saving the PS1400s for last. Each one had to be unboxed in the garage, then carted up two flights of stairs to the set up area.

By the time I got to the PS1400s, I was fatigued, out of breath, and covered in sweat. I thought I'd get a hernia lifting those things out of the boxes, not simply because they weigh 80 lb., but also because it's so frickin' awkward leaning over the box, keeping the flaps out of the way, lifting the enclosure, holding the box down, keeping the bottom packing from binding the speaker and box into an inseparable unit, and trying not to drop the speaker or stick my slippery, sweaty hand through the driver. I uttered many expletives that night. MANY expletives.

Decidedly worth the effort, however, and I utter different words when listening to these babies. Positive expletives.
    Out.

Unhappy The Duh Moment

I wish someone could have been there to take a picture of my face when I first fired them up.

Since we've ALL been there at one time or another, we pretty much know how it feels. Last time I did something like that I was close enough to a mirror that I could actually look at myself. It wasn pretty.

But then, it never is.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I thought I'd get a hernia lifting those things out of the boxes, not simply because they weigh 80 lb., but also because it's so frickin' awkward leaning over the box, keeping the flaps out of the way, lifting the enclosure, holding the box down, keeping the bottom packing from binding the speaker and box into an inseparable unit, and trying not to drop the speaker or stick my slippery, sweaty hand through the driver. I uttered many expletives that night. MANY expletives.

Positive expletives.
    Dome:

I'll address the sound of the speakers shortly. However, I did not lift the 1400's out of the boxes ( impossible for me). Here's how I did it. I "walked" the boxes to "Rick's Room" downstairs. Once I had them in the room I slowly and carefully ( speakers still in the boxes) turned ( rotated 180) the boxes upside down so the bottom was facing upwards and the top was on the floor. I then cut the tape and then taped the flaps to the sides. Next I slowly turned ( rotated 180)the boxes back to their upright position so that the bottom was open and sitting on the floor. Next I cut the tape on the top and simply lifted the box upward while gravity kept the speaker on the floor. The entire speaker was sitting on the floor with both top and bottom foam in place. I then lifted the foam off the top and removed the grill.

This left the 1400 still sitting on the bottom foam sitting on the floor. There was still no way I could lift the 1400 from the foam. So I repeated the process. I carefully rotated( 180) both the foam and speaker so that the top of the speaker was on the floor and the bottom foam was now on top. I was carefull to turn ( rotate)the speaker towards it's side and not towards either the front or back because if I slipped then I might damage either the woofer or the controls. Then I removed the bottom foam and then again rotated the speaker so that the bottom was on the floor. Next I "walked" it to where I wanted it. Ditto for the second 1400.

this way I never had to lift the 1400's or bear the full weight but instead leveraged the weight while I was rotating them. I was able to use mostly my left arm and only use the right for guiding. However, if I had slipped it would have been doomsday for the speakers. I just did a little at a time and then rested. Mostly I got lucky. Even tho my right arm never had to bear much weight, it was enough to send extreme pain from my shoulder all the way down my arm ( Ok, I admit it, tears came to my eyes it was so painful ). Again I was just damn lucky I didn't "drop" them.

Next post will address the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    I'm gonna have to hear one of these systems one of these days!
    Come by any time!!!

By the time I got to the PS1400s, I was fatigued, out of breath, and covered in sweat.
    too many hot dogs?

too many hot dogs?
    Too many steps and not enough rehydration: afraid to drink beer while doing this delicate work.
    Out.

.....afraid to drink beer while doing this delicate work.

Dome:
    Very smart move!!! Tonight I'll be listening with my drink in hand ( no more than two tho)

Yes, I think my experience and first reaction was close to yours. The sound is changing and I like the change I'm hearing. Very nice so far. last night just before I went to eat, it had really been playing about 21/2 hours with 3 CD's ( I put it on random and let it be for awhile). First real audition was VERY disappointing ( I'll go into details later) and as I went to dinner ( I left the CD on to play while I was gone)I was thinking 'My God what have I done? Christ.. I should have just kept my 4430's and been happy". So, I had dinner, walked Whit, talked with the wife on the patio and about 11/2 hours later went back down to listen and something magical happened in that hour and half. The sound had changed completely and I was liking it.

Now, the 4430 is a very hard act to follow for many reasons ( again I'll go into details later) and so I may be tough to please.

It's only been a little over one day now, so I'm going to wait a few more days and then go into real detail ( when I get the time) on the sound.

Bottomline is I'm liking the sound very much and and I'm very impressed with the PS.

Too many steps and not enough rehydration: afraid to drink beer while doing this delicate work.
    try water instead.. it works great for rehydration. Not good for anything else tho.

Removing compnents...

I thought everybody knew you were supposed to lift the boxes off the components.

I do computer support where I work, and have to set up too many printers, monitors, etc. to not do it that way.

New systems... This makes me want to spend money I don't have.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bbrown
    I thought everybody knew you were supposed to lift the boxes off the components.

I do computer support where I work, and have to set up too many printers, monitors, etc. to not do it that way.

New systems... This makes me want to spend money I don't have.

Bruce
    Hi Bruce:
    Everybody knows we should limit fat, salt, and caffeine, too.

We don't always do what we know is the better thing, especially if we're excited and working in a crowded space. :dont-know We do what's quick.

Once you spend the money you don't have, then you have the new system, and you have even more money that you don't have.

JBLnsince1959: It's been a long holiday weekend. When are we going to get your first in-depth listening report? Huh?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrown

Bruce.... you're giving away our "computer Geek" secrets...careful

JBLnsince1959: It's been a long holiday weekend. When are we going to get your first in-depth listening report? Huh?
    Hi Dome:

went for a Mo. driving vacation, so i've been away and busy ( got to make the lady happy and just got back 30 minutes ago). Review maybe in a few days

That's one of the reasons you were able to talk her into getting them......You got to keep your priorities straight!

Smile trip

Good on you, mate! That's why I'm divorced, I suppose. All right then, there were other reasons, too, but it wasn't all my fault.

Anyway, hope you two enjoyed your trip, and glad you're safely home.
    Out.

Thread Information