Page 15 of 143 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Giskard is right (was there any doubt?)

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard

I think there might be a bit of confusion here. The PT800's do not require the PS1400's to operate properly at all. They will operate properly with any sub of your choice providing you have an AVR or an active crossover network such as a DX-1, etc. No surprise here; standard bi-amp fare. If you already have Citation 5.4's, Citation 7.4's, B380's, B460's, 4645C's, SUB1500's, etc then use 'em.

Let me comment in two parts:

1) I've got seven PT800s and three PS1400s (plus PC600). Two PT800s are stacked on two PS1400s and at the moment the line signal for both goes into the PS1400s. The other five PT800s and the PS1400 are totally independent of each other. The PT800s are crossed over in the pre/pro above 80 and the PS1400 receives the LFE signal.

2) Prior to buying the third PS1400 I had a Fosgate Audionics CSS200 THX passive sub running. It worked fine with the system, having an LE120 driver in it, but not as well as the PS1400 does. The LE14H-3 is a better, badder baby (as would be a Citation 7.4 or most other 14 or 15 inchers). Ultimately I want four PS1400s, two stacked (primarily for stereo listening) and two free to do LFE-only duty.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 05-20-2005 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Edited for stupidity.
    Out.

"A. reach the conclusion that sonicly maybe a lower crossover point would be better and if so what was it?"

I think there might be a bit of confusion here. The PT800's do not require the PS1400's to operate properly at all. They will operate properly with any sub of your choice providing you have an AVR or an active crossover network such as a DX-1, etc. No surprise here; standard bi-amp fare. If you already have Citation 5.4's, Citation 7.4's, B380's, B460's, 4645C's, SUB1500's, etc then use 'em.
    Hi Giskard:

no, I'm aware of that and I'm familiar with bi-amping with active crossovers. I was just wondering if you were going somewhere with mentioning crossing over below 130...never mind...I read too much into what you wrote..sorry.

Thanks for the crossover specs. looks interesting. While I was aware that the PT800 can be used with any sub ( I think Mike is using the 1500's you're building) and I have two home made subs with 2235's, I chose to purchase the 1400's to keep life simple( that and they look cool )

You know, this is the second time I've written this but just after I finished, I could no longer get on the web site. I tried for about 10 minutes and then figured the site was down. did anyone have this problem today?

Obsolete
    Yeah, they made me a moderator momentarily and took the site down to do full backups.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be insulting at all. I was just trying to point out that the Performance Series is really a bi-amped system with all the bi-amp stuff supplied in the PS1400 if desired, but that someone could use an external network (even a BX63A) or an AVR instead if desired. It's a versatile system with neato parts.

"I choose to purchase the 1400's to keep life simple( that and they look cool )"

Understood. They are cool.

WOW

Big Duh on my part not recognizing the letters AVR.. OK, OK,

thanks

Obsolete
    Yeah well, I didn't know what the hell an AVR was until I asked too.

Yeah, they made me a moderator momentarily and took the site down to do full backups.
    Sooooooo.. are you going to be moderator OFTEN?

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be insulting at all. I was just trying to point out that the Performance Series is really a bi-amped system with all the bi-amp stuff supplied in the PS1400 if desired, but that someone could use an external network (even a BX63A) or an AVR instead if desired. It's a versatile system with neato parts
    I understand where you're coming from and the position you're in trying to explain something to someone who may not undertand crossovers or electronics. In my line of work I'm either talking over someones head ( and they don't have a clue what I'm saying) OR I'm insulting their intelligence by explaining the basics ( I find insulting more fun )... not easy explaining tech stuff to...well... let's just say to a NON-tech person. So here I am with the roles reversed.. I understand both sides. AND NOTHING is worst than having to explain the same thing over...and over..and over.. It's like... gee didn't we just do this ( 10,000 fucking times before!!!)

That's why I really appreciate what you are doing. It's not easy being in your shoes. so again thanks for the help

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Sooooooo.. are you going to be moderator OFTEN?
    Only during the day when it could be inconvenient to others. And not every day, just when it's least expected.

Only during the day when it could be inconvenient to others. And not every day, just when it's least expected.
    Thank GOD that's cleared up now.....

Giskard as moderator? Oh hell! Hey, where did all my posts go?
    Out.

I was just trying to point out that the Performance Series is really a bi-amped system with all the bi-amp stuff supplied in the PS1400 if desired, but that someone could use an external network (even a BX63A) or an AVR instead if desired. It's a versatile system with neato parts.

Understood. They are cool.

Yes that really is quite cool, and one of the reasons I was drawn to them. If there was any question as to whether they should be bi-amped or not, the design answered it for you. I saw that as a real step forward. IOW, if you use the PT800 and the PS1400 together, you can't NOT bi-amp the thing.

Plus, with my personal amps running 215W/ch at 8 Ohms, that 400W amp in the PS1400 is a real boost, and it's right next to the driver.

Not being well-versed in crossover technology, I have no way of valuing the internal electronics, but in combination with my Fosgagte FAP T1's crossover and EQing capabilities, it's pretty damn slick.

Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Giskard as moderator? Oh hell! Hey, where did all my posts go?
    Be afraid....be very afraid....

Well, at least they WERE backingup the system. When it went "down" I was wondering if it was Backedup.....

Cool Exploded diagram

This thread is getting long enough that I might be repeating something here, but here's the self-repair page on the PT800:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Do...ing%20Guid.pdf
    Out.

Cool Exploded Diagram 2

Even though it's not listed in the support links, a little kludging turned up this similar document for the PC600:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Do...ing%20Guid.pdf

Out.

Unfortunately, no such luck with the PS1400. Yet.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    This thread is getting long enough that I might be repeating something here
    Thanks for the info. Well, this thread might get even longer as I plan to doc the speakers I'm going to get next week. PLUS, a listening review a few weeks after.

Thread Information