Page 137 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

I guess it helps to look around. I bought a NIB PC600 for $300 on AudiogoN today.

Cool

Sorry to get back to this thread so late, but I had severe Inet problems.
    Yes, the Ebayer below is the guy I bought them from. He’s a good guy, and his brick and mortar store went belly-up a few years ago, when the entire strip mall was foreclosed upon. He does audio install-construction now, and I’m sure that he is capable of crating anything that he ships. I just now saw that he sold one of the subs, but I decided to stick with mine anyway.

Looking at it, I might have paid too much for the PT800’s He came down to $1,100 with no grilles, or boxes, but he lives about FIVE MILES from me! I was not able to audition them, so I did something that I have never done before, and it was a gamble that really paid off! I bought them sight-unheard. I am really GLAD that I did. It is entirely because of the raves on this thread that I did that. Almost everybody who has had these things want A LOT of coin for them, so to me it was a good deal. Honestly for a total of $1,200, I can’t believe that there is ANYTHING out there that could kiss the feet of these! LOL I bought the PC600 NOS from JBL. I think I paid $499.

So before buying them, I contacted JBL, and they had three grilles left. (part #336615-001) I bought two for $100 delivered, and I SUPPOSE I will put them on today. LOL I LOVE the way that the inverted domes look, and I hate to cover them up, but I will. My estimate is they still have one grille left which is about $50 delivered, and well packed.

Anyway, the graph in the pics was made with my new toy, the Parts Express Omni-mic. It is after working with the Ultradrive crossover, which has a fully adjustable e.q. in the three different bands that it controls. I have just scratched the surface with it, and later I will post some graphs of close-mic PT800’s. I want to see what the actual acoustic crossovers turn out to be. I used 1/24th octave smoothing which is very revealing.

A few random notes: It seems that they are out of ALL of the parts for them. I asked about the midranges, woofers, tweeters, the 14” PolyPlass and others, and they were all zero stock. My advice would be that if you need anything, call them ANYWAY, just to make sure. They do have a boat-load of grilles left for the 1400 subs, about 17 when I asked about them.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
    I guess it helps to look around. I bought a NIB PC600 for $300 on AudiogoN today.
    LOL That is what I call, "Robbing the BANK!" Good one!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the PS club

I want one spare tweeter and one more PT800 to complete my 7 identical channel setup

Quote Originally Posted by RedCoat23 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the PS club

I want one spare tweeter and one more PT800 to complete my 7 identical channel setup
    Thank you! Yeah, I THINK it's the same tweet used in the S-38, the 38IIs and many others. I am going to take another whack at seeing if they have any left. I don't need it now, but just in case. If not, that means they abandoned A LOT of speakers. I suppose that happened when they moved to China?
    You must have the surround system that GOD uses. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Davethreshold View Post
    Thank you! Yeah, I THINK it's the same tweet used in the S-38, the 38IIs and many others.
    Actually, only the tweets from the S38 will work, not the S38II. Also the S26, S-Center, etc. Same part number as the PS tweets, made in France. The II series tweets have a completely different mounting in the wave guide.

They're pretty easy to pick up on eBay if you're patient.

Happy New Year!

Thank you rdgrimes.
    So what do you all think would be the closest match to the PT800's for me to use in the rear channels for now? For starters, I'm thinking a pair of S38's would sure sound good, but of course I want them to be close to the PT800s. IDK. A pair of 800s might be too large for the rears, so in terms of size and everything the S38s would work well. Can be EASILY found for $200. - A steal.

Thank you rdgrimes.
    So what do you all think would be the closest match to the PT800's for me to use in the rear channels for now? For starters, I'm thinking a pair of S38's would sure sound good, but of course I want them to be close to the PT800s. IDK. A pair of 800s might be too large for the rears, so in terms of size and everything the S38s would work well. Can be EASILY found for $200. - A steal.
    Well, I use PT800 all around in a 7 ch system, so you know what I'm going to say. But yes the S38 might be a decent substitute.

Thank you rdgrimes.
    A pair of 800s might be too large for the rears, so in terms of size and everything the S38s would work well
    if cost/availability is the key factor then yes, a tweeter matched bookshelf from the S series (S36 or 38) makes sense

but if size is the concern consider the PT, while 50% larger at the face, is only 6" deep compared to 13" for the S38. In my case they are wall mounted along a narrow 3' pass beside the couch, something a deep enclosure could not provide.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    but if size is the concern consider the PT, while 50% larger at the face, is only 6" deep compared to 13" for the S38. In my case they are wall mounted along a narrow 3' pass beside the couch, something a deep enclosure could not provide.
    There's also the corner mount option, they tuck into a corner nice and snug. The corner mount brackets help. (PCM800)

Thank you rdgrimes.
    Congratulations and Happy New Year to you. The P520WS was also used for surround duty with the PS system but IMO the PT800 is the best option. Parts are definitely a problem. I'm always looking on ebay for damaged or parted out PS speakers. I've ended up with one spare PS1400, two HTPS400's, one PC600 & two Audax tweeters.

Lot's of good advice!

Has anybody tried THIS idea, which means acquiring more of them:
    Take a second pair of PT 800's, flip them upside down, then stack them on your last pair. The original pair would have to be lowered of course. IOW this would give it a W-M-TT-M-W array. Very vaguely, the distortion for a given output would be reduced, and it would give them a HUGE sound, because right now they have a BIG sound. One disadvantage would be the impedance would be a bit brutal, but my amp would handle it. (They would have to be run parallel.)

That idea is bound to keep SOMEBODY up at night!

Lot's of good advice!

Has anybody tried THIS idea, which means acquiring more of them:
    Take a second pair of PT 800's, flip them upside down, then stack them on your last pair.
    I can think of better uses for an extra pair of PT800, but that's me.

That last used PS1400 on eBay went for $280 today. Cripes, the driver is worth that much.

I saw that. Wish PT800's would show up and go for that low...

Thread Information