Page 136 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

I recently built a PT800 from scrounged parts and was surprised at how much room there is in the top end. Its amazing how much low end they get from the 8" driver in that little bitty box. Anyhow I'm up to 8 of them now, 2 are spares. 2 spare PS1400 as well, also built from scrounge.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I recently built a PT800 from scrounged parts and was surprised at how much room there is in the top end. Its amazing how much low end they get from the 8" driver in that little bitty box. Anyhow I'm up to 8 of them now, 2 are spares. 2 spare PS1400 as well, also built from scrounge.
    Did you use the stock PS XOs?
    When I first opened up one of my PT800s, I could hardly believe how little insulation was used.
    Nowhere near the amount used in the L212s. The more insulation placed in a MB/B sub compartment, the larger the virtual volume of that space. And the larger the volume, the lower the roll off point is.

My chances of getting more PS is probably less than getting parts for the 212s.
    I know I can get the 052Ti from Orange County Speaker, for the 212.
    But right now of the 5 PT800s, only using 4.

But now living in a climate of constant 70% humidity, should totally eliminate dry rot. A big problem in NV. with older drivers.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Ebay has pretty much dried up for PS speakers & parts. I have one spare HTPS400, one PS1400 & two Audax Tweeters (taken from S26's). I'm thinking that I would like to eventually try Dolby Atmos and that four PT800's would make perfect ceiling speakers. We'll see how that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
    Ebay has pretty much dried up for PS speakers & parts. I have one spare HTPS400, one PS1400 & two Audax Tweeters (taken from S26's). I'm thinking that I would like to eventually try Dolby Atmos and that four PT800's would make perfect ceiling speakers. We'll see how that works out.
    ATMOS is one thing I have no desire to get into. Its really about getting the LCRs placed right.
    When they are right, the soundstage is huge for both music and movies.
    I don't see where ATMOS will be any better than width/height channels.
    And from what I've seen, most people who use W/H channels and think they need them, either have really lame LCRs or not optimally setup, or both.
    I'm running 6 channels(nowhere to place #7), and I feel I am missing nothing.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Ebay has pretty much dried up for PS speakers & parts.
    Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Consumer-Ele...m=&_ssn=jm2579

Aww crap...

I promised myself not to spend any money and the 7th and final PT800 to shows up to go with my orphaned 7th PS1400
    Thanks RdGrimes - and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Now I have a decision to make.
    Last edited by RedCoat23; 12-14-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by RedCoat23 View Post
    Aww crap...

I promised myself not to spend any money and the 7th and final PT800 to shows up to go with my orphaned 7th PS1400
    Thanks RdGrimes - and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Now I have a decision to make.
    I suspect he mistakenly priced the PT800 listing for 2, when in fact its for one (but he has 2 of them available).

I suspect he mistakenly priced the PT800 listing for 2, when in fact its for one (but he has 2 of them available).
    I think you might be right there. Given he's charging just under $400 for the PC600, doesn't make sense to almost double the price for the PT800. I've messaged him to see what he says.

Decent price for the PS1400's.

Decent price for the PS1400's.
    Absent the factory packing, value is debatable when shipping is involved. The seller doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. But if the driver and amp arrive intact, you haven't done too bad.

Thumbs up I really want to thank Titanium Dome for this thread.

I saw it over a year ago, and found a PC600 center at the JBL page. I believe I paid $500-$600 for it, and just the other day got it hooked up. I was using some very good, home-brew speakers with Dynaudio and Focal drivers, and I have always loved them. After hooking it up, even though it was the only unit of series in the system, I honestly think the whole room was better sounding for film. So I started searching for the satellite's, which hardly come up anywhere.

I found a PAIR of the PT800’s, and they were located 5 miles from where I live! So I talked to the guy who said there was a tiny ding on one of the 8’s. He has the subs, but I decided to stick with mine which are very similar to a pair of Muse model 18’s. I am using the Ultradrive crossover, set to 48/octave at 80 hz on them and the subs. I am using a Threshold S-450e on the top, and an S-350e on the subs.........

I am nothing less than stunned - STUNNED at how good these sound!! With every speaker that I have ever owned, and like many people here, I have owned a LOT of them, I always wanted to change something. Maybe they were great on 90% of the music, but blatty on that one song, or the midrange would have a color in it somewhere. Not with these. They simply do everything right. There is NOTHING about them that I would change.

I’m in the state of audio shock just a little bit here. At 62 I have done a lot of stuff on my audio bucket-list, but these are a game changer. There is only one more thing that I will try, which is a pair of 50” BG ribbons, but I have to build the baffles etc. If I had found these first, I would not have bought the B.G.’s

Anyway, the first speakers that I ever bought of any significance were the JBL C-36 001’s, with the pale grilles, and aluminum legs. That was when I was 18, and in terms of companies, I guess that means my search has come cull circle.

Once again, I thank everybody for this thread because without it I never would have HEARD of this incredibly rare series at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Davethreshold View Post
    I found a PAIR of the PT800’s, and they were located 5 miles from where I live! So I talked to the guy who said there was a tiny ding on one of the 8’s. He has the subs, but I decided to stick with mine which are very similar to a pair of Muse model 18’s. I am using the Ultradrive crossover, set to 48/octave at 80 hz on them and the subs. I am using a Threshold S-450e on the top, and an S-350e on the subs.........
    Go back and get the PS1400. There's some more magic that happens when the PT800 is bolted to one.

Go back and get the PS1400. There's some more magic that happens when the PT800 is bolted to one.
    correction, much more magic

if you're "stunned" by the PT alone, the authority that will come with a crossover matched 14" PS1400 carrying 28-130Hz will have you searching for another verb. Do yourself a favor and rush to hear them they way they were fully intended.

and the "uninspired" sale in LaGrange makes local pickup a possibility.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Absent the factory packing, value is debatable when shipping is involved. The seller doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. But if the driver and amp arrive intact, you haven't done too bad.
    He couldn't sell them for $390 so he re-lists them for $420. Interesting strategy.

Down to $385 today. Somebody needs to go get them.

Thread Information