Page 132 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    ^^^
    the dog is not impressed.
    Not at all, he tends to leave the room when the music starts playing. I guess we don't have the same taste in music, but I won't fault him for that because he is a good dog.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Not at all, he tends to leave the room when the music starts playing. I guess we don't have the same taste in music, but I won't fault him for that because he is a good dog.
    I was going to write, "That's a big woofer!" but if it leaves the room every time you play music, then I guess it's not much help to the system.
    Out.

I've got my second PS1400 amp going out in 6 months.

Looking for a plate amp or entire PS1400. I do have a spare cabinet lacking amp and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I've got my second PS1400 amp going out in 6 months.

Looking for a plate amp or entire PS1400. I do have a spare cabinet lacking amp and driver.
    Over this past decade, I've lost count how many of those PS10400 amps have gone down.
    But most certainly it has a bad design flaw(s). If one or two go down is one thing...
    But having dozens go down...
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Active sub amps going out is pretty common across the board. Considering the environment, that's no surprise.

There are at least 2 revisions of the PS1400 amp. From what I've heard its the 1st revision that has issues.

If I had a coupla 300Hz low-pass filters I'd seriously consider just running the stacks without the amps as a true 4-way. The 130Hz high-pass filters are already in there. Or just run them as a true sub & sat on a 130Hz XO.

Obsolete
    Back when the GFA-535 first came out I took the insides out of the case, cut the power supply board in half on a band saw and installed each half into a pair of custom subwoofer boxes running a JBL 124H.

Needless to say, they are still going strong today.

Weirdness:
    My sick PS1400 cured itself today.
    Yesterday it was cutting in and out with the LEDs alternating between green and red. This even though its set for "always on". I was surprised to see those LEDs changing since the control circuit has to tell them to do that. Wonder if its just a loose connection or bad solder somewhere?

Anyhow I dug up a "new in box" PS1400 and its on its way to me. Hoping its one of the later revisions.

Obsolete
    If these PS1400's are really worth keeping, you guys should just fix them right with some decent outboard amps.

We had to do the same damn thing with the B212's way back when.

ps1400 me too

Hi 4313B,

My PS1400 went down as well it was i would say it was an original issue as i got it around 2004 so it lasted 8 years.

Another LH forum member did me a big favor and sold me some new amps from B stock PS1400's

Using the external amp confuses me a bit because of how to arrange the crossover. The PT800 themselves are quite straightforward as you can use the existing high pass crossover in the PS1400 or wire them direct to the amp.

For the PS1400 the crossover is built into the plate amp.

Can i get say a good quality crossover and run high pass say at 100hz direct to the PS1400. Then run the low pass direct into the LE14H with no crossover?

But in some detail what would your practical solution be?

Michael

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by fast_mick View Post
    But in some detail what would your practical solution be?
    If you have an AVR then hook up the PS1400 straight to an outboard amp and control everything via the AVR.

If you don't have an AVR then use something like one of the new Crown amps that have the active filter built-in like RobH3606 is doing (I think they also have DSP which you can use to fine tune the PS1400 in a room).

"Worst case" one can go old school and use the LE14H-3 in a 4.0 cu ft box tuned to 26 Hz along with a BX-63A.

The PS1400 box is "easy enough" to build. Rockler has the router bits required to build the octagon. Internal volume can be added via depth.

Just some ideas for those who like to fiddle with stuff.

The PS1400 has dual inputs, and separate level controls for each input. You can't duplicate that with any external processing that I know of.

Obsolete
    That is a non-issue if one is using it as a subwoofer instead of the low frequency transducer in a 4-way system.

If one prefers to use it as a low frequency transducer in a 4-way system then just use the passive parts. It is slightly more complicated than flipping a switch on the back of a 4345.

Yeah, ok:

If you are using the third or
    fourth configurations, where
    the main speakers are configured
    as “Small” and all bass
    information is being sent to the
    LFE inputs of the PS1400s, the
    LFE Level control will operate
    on all low- frequency information,
    and not just for the .1
    channel effects.

Or if using the LFE Input you can use it as a sub by putting an active crossover in line or use a stereo preamp that has bass management and use it's internal crossover. I have done both and either one works just fine.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    That is a non-issue if one is using it as a subwoofer instead of the low frequency transducer in a 4-way system.
    Well one of the main benefits of the PS1400 is that you get to do both. Not so with a passive or plate-amp setup.

Confirmation

Thanks I got some ideas but just to confirm as I don't want to accept a reduced sound quality, i just use these for music.

I run my current amp direct into the current 130hz highpass crossover in the PS 1400 and then use the existing cable path to the PT800.

I get something like a Crown XTI and set the low/high pass crossover for 130hz and wire the low pass direct to the LE14H. There is normally an internal 20hz cutoff floor so the signal going to LE14H will be 20hz to 130hz.

I can then play around with gain etc with the XTI to match the PT800 output if necessary?

For the XTI I would get the mid 475W @ 8 ohm version?

Is this correct?

Thanks

Thread Information