Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Talking Prices

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    Ya but, $4000 for a complete stereo pair?

Actually, looking at what's out there, it's not out of line...

(Harmanaudio.com)

Plus, he's not going to pay that much; I certainly didn't. You'd absolutely choke if you knew how much I paid for my first new set (5 PT800s, 1 PC600, and 2 PS1400s), but of course I dare not say. Then I got two more used but mint PT800s (to do 7.1) for $233 each, and another brand new PS1400 for $600.

Having said all that, you're right that it's not out of line. This is great stuff at a reasonable retail cost. If JBL ever figures out how to market, distribute, and sell these things, I'm sure the heavily discounted prices will go up. Somebody lost a ton of money on the deal I got, but I had to be dogged in my tracking of a place to buy them.

It's easier with a connection like Mike has, though somewhat more costly (although still cheap!).
    Out.

Hey Giskard:

just wondering.... Have you given any consideration to doing the crossovers for the PS in charged-couple? I know you've had MikeBake's for awhile but I wasn't sure exactly what you were doing for him ( docking the PT800's with his woofers maybe)

Anyway, any thought's on that and maybe what caps to use? If I save my pennies I may go with some Mundorfs ( and others)

This would be in the future for me.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Plus, he's not going to pay that much; I certainly didn't. :bouncy

You'd absolutely choke if you knew how much I paid for my first new set.

It's easier with a connection like Mike has, though somewhat more costly (although still cheap!).
    Dome:

I'm choking a little ( on the price). I certainly didn't get the price you did, nor did I get the price Mike and his friend got( they bought what was left at the store, mind are being ordered). However, I looked at it this way.
    1. I've wanted them a long time AND
    2. Finding them new and in the color I want is NOT easy, so instead of searching and waiting, waiting, playing games on ebay etc... I just did it.

Since at this time, I'm not into 5.1 or 7.1 ( I may be later) this was good for me. However, Dome, if you see any others ( PT800, PC600 at or near the price you bought, let me know please ( I may change my mind about 5.1).

Time for lunch.

Talking A Walk Around the Barn

Growing up in Lucas County, Ohio in the 1950s, I would work on my Grandpa's farm off US Route 20-A during the summer. He gave a whole new meaning to "a long row to hoe" when he'd send me out with a hoe into the 40 acre bean field. He also used to tell me, "Sonny boy, why do you always walk around the barn to get to the barn door?" What he was saying, of course, was why can't you just get to the point? You talk too much."

So bear with me.

Sunday night my girlfriend couldn't sleep. She's got final exams at the university this week, and she'll be getting her BS on Friday. She's totally jazzed to be finishing college in her fourth decade. So she asked me to get her mind off school.

I asked her if she remembered songs that were popular when she came to the US from Korea, and she named Janet Jackson, Madonna, Cutting Crew, a few others, and I asked if she remembered Def Leppard.

She didn't and asked what they had done.

Down I went to the basement CD vault and pulled a couple of Leppard CDs to take two flights back to the bedroom. I played Pyromania a few minutes each song, until she'd say, "Oh, I know that." and we'd listen to the whole thing on the bedroom 2.1 set up.

Then I happened to mention how Def Lep used to fill the largest stadiums and how I'd gone to see them. "I wonder what that was like?" she speculated.

Five minutes later we're down on the main floor with the Peformance Series warmed up, pushed by 3200W of pretty clean power at 0dB master volume (a rarity) feeeling our chests thump with the kick of Rick Allen's drums. It's 12:30 AM.

"This is amazing!" she exclaimed. "It seems like the band is right here." At least I think she said that; I couldn't really hear her.

Feeling all that power pulsing through the system, listening to the clean, undistorted impact of the cymbals, the grunge of the guitars, the punch of the bass, next to my girl--it was heaven.

Knowing that those babies could take more if I didn't mind the cops stopping by, thinking about how much larger they sound than they look, how absolutely present they are, I thought Somebody ought to tell GT what a wonderful thing he has wrought. These things are made to be pushed.

Around 2:00 AM during a pause between songs, we heard the neighbors pounding on the door, yelling something. We turned it off and sneaked upstairs with the lights off. I apologized at the mailbox yesterday.

What do you want? What do you want?
    I want rock'n'roll, allright
    Long live rock'n'roll

Rock of ages, rock of ages
    Still rollin' keep a-rollin'
    Rock of ages, rock of ages
    Still rollin', rock'n'rollin'
    We got the power, got the glory
    Just say you need it and if you need it:
    Say yeah, say YEAH!

We're gonna burn this damn place down
    Down to the ground

And so we did. (figuratively) She forgot all about finals and slept like an Angel, thanks to the healing musical power of the JBL Performance Series. THIS is why it matters what speakers I have and why JBL Performance Series is my choice.

Thanks for walking around the barn with me.
    Out.

Smile You'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Dome:

Since at this time, I'm not into 5.1 or 7.1 ( I may be later) this was good for me. However, Dome, if you see any others ( PT800, PC600 at or near the price you bought, let me know please ( I may change my mind about 5.1).

Time for lunch.
    These are great in stereo pairs. No worries. On some older stuff I use the pre/pro's analog stereo bypass to go straight to the amps. Nice. Very nice. Vinyl sounds super, and dance tracks are off the charts.*

*Although if you have enough PT800s to use 5 Stereo or 7 Stereo, it'll be club central right in your home.
    Out.

Obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I had a typical "no bullshit" conversation with the designer roughly a year ago and asked him straight up, point blank. "Is the Performance Series really all that? Give me both barrels." The answer - "Light years ahead."

For price/performance the Performance Series "is all that". It's just a no bullshit system that does a whole bunch of stuff right. And no, Walmart doesn't carry it.
    God I love that kind of talk!

Say, I thought I saw a reply to the crossover question and then it was gone(????) anyway.. I had planned for the crossovers to be outside the PT800's as i didn't think there would be enough internal room. If you have any thoughts some time in the future about what would be best by all means share.

Thanks

Obsolete
    I'll repost it in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I'll repost it in awhile.
    OK, there's no rush as this is a future thing.

I haven't heard them yet, I suspect they'll be okay.
    How did the back speakers work for Bob? Did they match up good enough? It was a shot in the dark.....

You've made no mistake, friend.
    Hi clmrt:

Wellllll, I got a better price on new stuff than what I could get on the harmon site ( not a whole lot, but enough, they're coming from Ca.). It was a good deal and I'm happy with it. I've really been thinking about them since they first came out. Yes, it can sound expensive, but from what everyone is saying ( reviewers) even at the "retail" price they're a bargin compared to other speakers, so why not?

also, I'm not very good at restoring old speakers AND I've had most of them at one time or another.

We'll see if I've made a mistake or not. Once I get them, set them up and "break them in" I'll write my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    You've made no mistake, friend.
    Thanks Mike, I'm pretty sure it'll be just what I want. Thanks to you and Bob for all you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    She forgot all about finals and slept like an Angel, thanks to the healing musical power of the JBL Performance Series. THIS is why it matters what speakers I have and why JBL Performance Series is my choice.

Thanks for walking around the barn with me.
    ....and thanks for the "walk". Great story. It's that kind of talk that pushed me over the edge to get these. DMMD sent me a congrads PM and said "Do we call you R2ti-Dome2 now?"

well, I'm sure I'll love them as much as you do, but I don't think I have the "Right Stuff" to be a Dome-head ( ha )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Hey Giskard:

just wondering.... Have you given any consideration to doing the crossovers for the PS in charged-couple?
    Yes.

How the end user set up the system would determine the extent and cost of biasing all the filters.

There are four possible configurations for connecting the PT800 tower and the PS1400 subwoofer modules. The PC600 center is always connected directly to the speaker-level outputs of the receiver or amplifier.

1. Stacked, With Speaker-Level Input to PS1400 and Internal High-Pass Signal Output to PT800.
    2. Stacked, With LFE and Speaker-Level Inputs to PS1400 and Internal High-Pass Signal Output to PT800.
    3. Stacked, With LFE Input to PS1400 and Externally Crossed-Over Input to PT800.
    4. Separated, With LFE Input to PS1400 and Externally Crossed-Over Input to PT800.
    1 and 2 would require one to also bias the 310 uF (300 uF NPE + 10 uF mylar + 0.01 uF poly) cap that is in series with the entire PT800 module. That would require opening up the PS1400 as well. The crossover frequency for options 1 and 2 is 130 Hz.

3 and 4 make the option of biasing the PT800 much more attractive. The biased filters would have to be external since the poly caps would be much larger physically than the stock NPE caps. The 908Ti needs the volume of it's subenclosure so putting larger biased poly cap networks inside wouldn't be prudent. The lowest recommended crossover frequency for the PT800 is 80 Hz and that can be accomplished using an AVR; LFE to PS1400's set to 80 Hz and below.

For a dedicated 2-channel configuration the ultimate approach might be biased PT800's crossed over to subs of choice using the DX-1 (also biased).

Thanks Giskard:

I was wondering how complex it would be. Some time in the future (maybe in a year, once I get some money saved) maybe we can discuss this in detail. I printed out the plans of the Pt800 crossover, but didn't see anything about how they docked. That sounds like the complex part.

Anyway, thanks for the time and answer.

Giskard:

when I got my email notice of your reply it only showed the first 2 sentences of your reply and left out the "meat", so that's what I was replying to earlier. It wasn't until after I replyed that I got to read the the whole thing. Thanks for the time and detail of your reply. I've printed it out and I'm now studing it ( and please understand that I'm fairly brain-dead on electronics, my nerdship goes in other areas).

The only schematic I've seen is of the PT800 itself ( looked simply enough) so I'm missing how they dock and what's inside the 1400. Do you have that?

After a short reading, if I'm understanding the gist of what you said is that options one and two will be more complex ( and thus expensive) because they require running the main signal into 1400 and therefore the electronics of both units ( 800 and 1400) must be reworked and balanced.

whereas ( option 3 and 4) using an external crossover ( also biased) may simplify the process?

or have I completely missed the point.

Thanks again for your wonderful answer.

Thread Information