Page 124 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I guess it would depend on your definition of NOS... I doubt JBL considered them NOS, but they built a ton of this stuff and it never sold, so they finally blew it all out. The last time I checked they had a handful of PS1400s left and (2) B stock PT800s left in mismatched finishes.

Widget
    So they're like... Vintage? Good thing they have rubber surrounds or they might have needed re-foamed by the time I got them.

Anyone know if the PT800's tweeter has foam under the dome's?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    Anyone know if the PT800's tweeter has foam under the dome's?
    JBL sourced those from Audax, ask them.
    I expected you to blame it on cheap foreign labor..
    Cheap foreign labor isn't the problem, the people exploiting them are.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I'll prophesize that the glue is only as good as the person using it. Assuming these drivers were assembled by hand.

The H-3 rubber surround has a flange on its outer edge that should contact the flange of the basket, so it would have glue contacting both the back side and the outer edge of the surround and basket. So that rubber flange is doing the job that a gasket would.
    That explains even more, no glue on the flange here... at all! Only a thin line on the bottom, not even as wide as the rubber in some places.
    Sounds to me like you've figured it out. There should be enough glue without it squirting out the edges. Oftentimes people will use too little for fear of using too much. Also, as the designer has stated, the surfaces need to be prepped. If it's oily, there will be failures. I specifically remember one LE14H-3 with that problem. The underside of the surround lip was slippery, like oil or silicone had gotten on it prior to installation.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    JBL sourced those from Audax, ask them.Cheap foreign labor isn't the problem, the people exploiting them are.

Sounds to me like you've figured it out. There should be enough glue without it squirting out the edges. Oftentimes people will use too little for fear of using too much. Also, as the designer has stated, the surfaces need to be prepped. If it's oily, there will be failures. I specifically remember one LE14H-3 with that problem. The underside of the surround lip was slippery, like oil or silicone had gotten on it prior to installation.

Yep, I do believe I understand what happened. It's frustrating to think that I could just glue down the surround in about an hour instead of the hassle of shipping them off. The more I have to deal with this the more it chaps my a** for some reason I don't quite understand. I've fixed nearly all of my speakers in one way or another but this one just makes me mad.

I'll post back on the warranty process.

Help!!!!

Woke up this morning to a bad smell emanating from the HT room. Then I noticed that there were no green snake eyes on one PS1400.
    I leave the PS1400 on 24/7, looks like one of them lost its power supply. The plate is still warm to touch, just no power.

Need a new plate amp or an entire unit if anyone can help out.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...400BLK&status=

Good deal here on Harman's Clearance. You could buy the unit and either keep a spare box/driver or sell the driver on ebay for close to the purchase price.

Those are tempting to be sure but I think I could do better and am not afraid of used gear. Hopefully those won't vanish too quickly.

Those are tempting to be sure but I think I could do better and am not afraid of used gear. Hopefully those won't vanish too quickly.
    They've been there for a while, so I think you've got some time. Now the refurbs for $309 each shipped--those went fast!!
    Out.

There were a couple NIB that went for $400 on eBay in recent weeks, should have jumped.

I actually have a PS1400 plate amp that I got off eBay for $20 a while ago, I assume its dead but have no way to try it other than installing it.

This is a perfect excuse to fire up my L250s for a while and pop the hood on the PS1400.

At the beginning of the year they had 30-40 in both cherry and beech, and about 200 in black ash. On the list last month they only had black ash left and they were down to the last 30-40 of those. They will all be gone one of these days... but considering how misunderstood the Performance Series is, it is hard to say how long it will take to find homes for these last speakers.

FYI: They still have well over 100 of the PC600 center channel speakers too.

Widget

P - U What a stink!

Fuse is blown too. The green and black wires are the output to the woofer, so this looks like the amp burned, not the power supply. Interesting since it was idling overnight with no input
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Woke up this morning to a bad smell emanating from the HT room. Then I noticed that there were no green snake eyes on one PS1400.
    I leave the PS1400 on 24/7, looks like one of them lost its power supply. The plate is still warm to touch, just no power.

Need a new plate amp or an entire unit if anyone can help out.
    Sorry to hear that. Did you check with CamMan (on AVS) on the two he has for sale?

considering how misunderstood the Performance Series is

Widget
    from your experience what are the most common misconceptions of the line?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Principally that they are actually quite good even though they look like rather average black ash Best Buy fare.

Widget

Miracles do happen.
    The PS1400 plate amp that I bought off eBay last year for $20 ------- works!

Tested both the LF and LFE functions and it's all nominal. It makes big boom-boom.

Best money ever spent on eBay. When they were available, these amps were what - $350?

Still enjoying the heck out of my L250s though, might need to keep them in the HT for a while. Amazing how similar they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Principally that they are actually quite good even though they look like rather average black ash Best Buy fare.

Widget
    I'd add that the whole thing with docking PT800 and PS1400 was lost on most people, they didn't even know it was possible. JBL never even published a photo of a docked stack.

Thread Information