Page 121 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
    What's a fair price for a used AVA-7? There's one on ebay for $1500.00.
    For a used unit, that seems high. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but I've seen very nice used units for a lot less. I mean many hundreds less.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Right now I'm only driving a stereo setup (P7 7channel pre-amp is down). So I've been using a HK 3390 receiver, with & w/o the Citation 19 power amp. I can not tell any difference between the two. There is only a 20w rated difference. But I know the 19 amp has huge caps in its power supply. Now if either was a 5~7 channel amp, might be a problem, as they are 80, 100w.
    But in stereo, neither one seems to strain driving the PT800s. If I was running a pair of Salon2 which are only 86db, most likely there would be a problem.
    I have a HK AVR354 (75WpC x 7) that cost $700 new, made in china, consisting of the various s/w, Cirrus DACs, processors, connectors galore, and so on; one can only expect the amps to be so good for that money.

It's not that it doesn't sound good, don't get me wrong there, and I was excited at the prospect of the >80-130Hz demands of 5 PS speakers not requiring external amplification. Though as might be expected, when running HT and MCH music at elevated volume I felt I could get more from a high-Performance MCH amp that comes with the speaker system, retailed for 3x the price of the all inclusive AVR, and weighs 20lbs more.

The results in IMO bear that out. I'm using the analog outs from my Oppo 83SE into the AVR analog bypass, so I can compare the gains needed to hit similar volume. The AVA generates approximately the same output with 10dB less gain, and really cranking it, the sound remains strong, pure, undistorted, unlike the AVR. I also had reservations spending so much on "125W vs. 75W" but in discussing with some members the differences would go beyond those simple specs...so far the sound agrees. IIRC, the 3390 is designed for performance stereo, and "might" be a better performer in that area compared to HK's AVR lineup?

oh, who am I kidding? I have a JBL addiction and could not stop myself from buying another piece of gear with JBL-badged gear, regardless of any perceived audible difference
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

One thing about the 3390, despite its low price, it does have pre outs. You won't find those on any HK AVR of the last two series, except the 3600. That is only 1 of 6 AVRs. My old HK 635 had it all over the current HK AVRs.
    Now for multi-channel, for the last 10 years I've been using a Parasound HCA2205A. Plenty of power there.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Hello! I'm fairly new to hometheater. I own a performance series (4 pt800, 1 pc600, 2 ps1400, av1, ava7! What is the best way to calibrate/eq this system? I tried an spl meter but i can never achieve great imaging from my speakers. I love the sound from this system but it doesnt flow like in the movie theaters. Is there some software that can be used through a pc with mics to measure room acoustics? Or is it better to just get a processor with audyssey to get a more accurate sound? Any advice will be appriciated!

For HT calibration I've been very happy with Audyssey XT or above. Imho it's the best AVR software tool from the common brands.

H/K's EZ set is pretty terrible.

If one has simple needs a Denon 1712 box comes with XT and can be had for less than $300, if you have a smaller room or just generally don't care to listen that loud, the PS will let you get away with the weaker amplifiers in that box, which is probably an honest 100wpc into stereo and down around 60-70 in 5ch.

If you do have a big room, the PS units will take most of what a real ~250wpc amplifier would throw at them, in which case a good middle compromise is a Audyssey XT equipped AVR that has pre-amp ouputs and adding some level of amplification, though most AVR's with XT and pre-outs start to get into the ~$600 range street.

There are lots of arguments about this on all levels, all I can say is that I am perfectly happy with my 5 channel PS setup being driven by a solid AVR. Though I can see a very valid argument in adding a separate 2 or 3 channel amplifier running a 5+ channel PS system in a larger room. My ears are not picky enough to pick up on the differences only from an amplifier unless one in the comparison is underpowered or otherwise pushed into clipping, and because of that I think once a minimum acceptable power level / headroom level is met, the quality of the calibration tools and usability come into play.

While the power is nice I think people tend to get caught up in it for demo capability. A true 100wpc setup with the PS gear would be enough to leave my ears ringing after a movie at full tilt. They just don't need that much power with the powered bottom end.

This is one of the nicer advantages moving from L7's. Those things really needed solid power to wake up.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Since you already have a multichannel amp (AVA7), all you would need is an AVR, with Audyssey XT or XT32, and pre-outs. Or you can go with a pre-pro with Audyssey XT or XT32 if you have a higher budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabueno View Post
    Hello! I'm fairly new to hometheater. I own a performance series (4 pt800, 1 pc600, 2 ps1400, av1, ava7! What is the best way to calibrate/eq this system? I tried an spl meter but i can never achieve great imaging from my speakers. I love the sound from this system but it doesnt flow like in the movie theaters. Is there some software that can be used through a pc with mics to measure room acoustics? Or is it better to just get a processor with audyssey to get a more accurate sound? Any advice will be appriciated!
    Imaging/soundstage is all about placement. Where I just moved to, it took me most of 3 months before I found the right spots for the L/R mains and in my case, I ended up separating my subs from the PT800s. Using Audyssey or any other auto/eq has nothing to do with imaging. The more room you can provide for the PT800s, the better. Some rooms are much easier than others when it comes to audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabueno View Post
    It's about the room first. No question that a processor is the path of least resistance, but even that doesn't cure room issues. Reflections are your biggest impediment. Placement, room treatments, etc are the place to start. A processor will solve issues with distance and EQ.

Tonight for the first time in years, I decided to listen to mono LPs through a single channel. And for the first time I decided to drive the single PT800 with the Citation 19 in bridge mode. So that is the first time I've ever had a PT800 connected to a 400w amp.
    But I certainly got nowhere near max. lol
    Mono recordings I think sound better through a single speaker, no comb filtering. And considering the 3 LPs are dated back to the '50s, varied SQ. Some of the Buddy Holly cuts were less than I remember, really low volume. The Rick Nelson and Chuck Berry LPs were more consistent.
    I would not mind finding another Citation 19 and run mono blocks for the mains, and let the 220w Parasound drive the rest of the PT800s.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    So that is the first time I've ever had a PT800 connected to a 400w amp.
    But I certainly got nowhere near max. lol
    I've been using a 400W x5 Sunfire for a few years. The difference between that and 200W is VERY small, but here's it with stacks and the 130Hz crossover.
    I also disagree about mono, it sounds a lot better through 2 stacks than through one.

Performance Series Review

Here's a review you may not have come across. Translated with Google.

http://www.gzhifi.com/audio/20084454.html

Current Category: Industry News 2008-08-20 Post has been read: 804 times hot spots: Audio Product Library Audio Forum

Share:
    QQ space
    Sina microblogging
    Tencent microblogging
    Everyone net

JBL is a famous name in the Hi-Fi world. In addition to the fans burn smoke, many theaters, recording studios use the JBL Studio Monitor as a monitor speaker, which shows the JBL that is unique.

With the advances in recording technology, many of the Audiophile SACD or DVD-Audio format, fans also sound speaker replay these Tiandie, a corresponding increase in For this reason, JBL decided to introduce a set of both perfect replay music, but also give full play to the movie sound all-round speaker.

In this extremely harsh under the premise of the JBL engineer by heart, and great care, and finally developed a landmark speaker system - the Performance the Series.

The JBL Performance Series systems with superior flexibility. Can put it as a traditional two-channel speaker, you can also add more than a few speakers, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 multi-channel surround sound speaker system.

Performance the Series, including the PT800 bookshelf speakers, the PC600 center channel speaker and the PS1400 subwoofer. Users according to their needs, the combination of speakers from the three models a set of speaker system.

Like traditional two-channel music enthusiasts can purchase a pair of PT800 install PS1400 speaker, will become a mighty extremely super speaker. Like to play multi-channel surround sound system enthusiasts, you can buy three pairs of PT800, PC600 and a PS1400, composed of a seven-speaker system.

JBL dropped a lot of manpower and resources in the Performance the Series. All treble, midrange unit are pure titanium (Titanium) and expensive Neodymium magnets. The advantages of titanium is sturdy texture and light, issued by the lightning-fast high-frequency. PT800 woofer with titanium, on the one hand, you can send a deep bass, the other hand, can catch up with the speed of titanium alt unit.

PS1400 subwoofer is the product of the sumo Hercules-class dinosaur. PS1400 14-inch the "Aquaplas" woofer voice coil (Voice Coil) edge of the bracket 4 inch thick, it is extremely exaggerated. Heavyweight bracket and specially developed Aquaplas audio disc, plus the hydraulic 400W built-in microphone, the PS1400 can be issued suffocating but rich analytical and fast transient bass.

The JBL the Performance Series speaker system has arrived in Singapore. Whether you want to replace the speaker, you should go to the distributor of the audition room, insight and experience the power of the new generation of JBL speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I've been using a 400W x5 Sunfire for a few years. The difference between that and 200W is VERY small, but here's it with stacks and the 130Hz crossover.
    I also disagree about mono, it sounds a lot better through 2 stacks than through one.
    As I said, I was nowhere near max output, even with only one speaker playing, it was plenty loud. At the level I was playing last night was in the range I usually listen to, no matter what amp I am using. Recently I've been switching amps in/out of the system (HK3390, Citation 19, Parasound 2205A) without driving the 3390 to clipping I can not really tell any difference between the three. I've always thought the HKs, Marantz, Parasound all had the same sound. It was the old Yamaha ('79) that has a harsh sound in comparison.

Of coarse, being the PT800s are rated at 91db, it does not take much to drive them, especially in a live room. If this were a completely dead room (good luck trying to find one here), running Salon2 with their 86db, that 400w would be a needed power.

As for the XO setting, been experimenting with that too. When I had the PT800s mounted to the SUB1500s, I was using XO @125. So after I decided to stack the subs behind the brick column, which is the centerline point of the layout, I left the XO @ 125. Despite what JBL manual say about using 80 for all other setups, I find using the 125 to be better. I never liked that the PT800 was -6db @ 80, compared to the L212's -3db @ 70. I understand why the PT800 is -6db as @ 130 it is -3db, assuming, to integrate with the PS1400.

Obsolete
    I never liked that the PT800 was -6db @ 80, compared to the L212's -3db @ 70.
    They're about the same.

Sometimes the fans burn smoke and forget to provide labels for their graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    They're about the same.

I assume the top graph is the L212. And those graphs being near the same, is not surprising, as I used both in a 7 channel system and could not detect a difference in sound. Between the side PT800s and back L212s.

No wonder they look similar, same speaker!!
    Last edited by jblsound; 05-22-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: update from 4313b next post

Thread Information