Page 12 of 143 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Thanks jblnut, that's kind of what I was looking for.....

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    with a bunch of used Yamaha pro amps to power them ).
    jblnut
    I know what you mean...

Helped my buddy unpack/hook up his PS1400's he got today; great stuff. Nice hook up, better overall appearance than I imagined;went to dinner while he rushed out for some additional connects etc....dealt with his 18 month old and my 4 year old while configuring the stuff....... dialed it all in a bit.........lucky bastard, he doesn't know shit, but he's got a nice room for audio. Quite nice. Things sounded good right off. Okay, I haven't heard the 1400/800 together: had fun setting the sub and receiver right, pop in his ideas for sample DVD's.............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, shit, this sounds smoooothhh. We got loud, but, urrrrrrrr, MAN, it just keeps sounding so good. Okay, I knew the 800's were good.............hey, beat the combo for anywhere near the price......and it LOOKS so good. This stuff is such a bargain. That's the point. Great value. Very non-fatiguing kinda sound........power when needed, resolution.......

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    .............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, shit, this sounds smoooothhh. We got loud, but, urrrrrrrr, MAN, it just keeps sounding so good. Okay, I knew the 800's were good.............hey, beat the combo for anywhere near the price......and it LOOKS so good. This stuff is such a bargain. That's the point. Great value. Very non-fatiguing kinda sound........power when needed, resolution.......
    Careful, you might become an inverted dome metalhead.
    Out.

How did the back speakers work for Bob? Did they match up good enough? It was a shot in the dark.....

Mikebake:

No need to comment on the back speakers as he told me they were'nt hooked up yet. Here's what he wrote me this morning:

"Well I'm still floating from the incredible sound and haven't heard anything
    so clear and pure in my life. No need to go to any movie theatres now."

Sounds like he's happy.

Don't look now but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Careful, you might become an inverted dome metalhead.
    Hey Dome
    Maybe you should check this out

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=5844

This could be the answer to the fourm members Insanity problems

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Hey Dome
    Maybe you should check this out

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=5844

This could be the answer to the fourm members Insanity problems

Those li'l bastards are like bug's eyes. Whenever I see a bunch of those lying around someone's "home theater" I think of cockroaches and their multi-lensed eyes, which still can't perceive red light. Sorta like Bose cubes can't produce highs or lows.

http://yucky.kids.discovery.com/nofl.../pg000331.html
    Out.

Red face Back OT

Oh right, back on thread, I'd much prefer to be an inverted dome metalhead than a boseroach.
    Out.

Well, what can I say? Dome you talked me into it, I tried my best to resist.. BUT...... Just ordered 2 PS1400's and 2 PT800's yesterday from the tip I got from MikeBake's friend . They should be here next week around Wed. or Thurs. ( May 25th and 26th I believe). I ordered the black ones. I almost didn't do this as now I have some very real and serious issues with space ( 10Lb's of SH*T in a five Lb bag) and something MUST go. Lady was very "COLD" to me last night :shock: - tried to ease the tension with, they'll look great and I'll sell EVERYTHING I'm not using AND the 4430's . ( she's never been a fan of those) Guess I needed a fire under my butt to sell off what I'm not using or the extra stuff. ( the 4430's I am using and will be the hardest to sell emotionally - I really love those beasts and they are in very good shape - sigh, and I would hate to just store them away)

Anyway, I'll let you know more when I get them. Now, back to work

Obsolete

Hey. I've had the same urge. Dump all the old gear, simplify life and buy the Performance Series. It really is good stuff.

My 4430's are already gone and I'm pain free.
    It was a good long run with those puppies but life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard

Hey. I've had the same urge. Dump all the old gear, simplify life and buy the Performance Series. It really is good stuff.

My 4430's are already gone and I'm pain free.
    It was a good long run with those puppies but life goes on.
    There are many dynamics going on here ( space, lady, etc). My lady is a neat freak and doesn't like clutter. I on the other hand will collect and keep stuff even if I won't use it, or after I've played with it, I just keep it. So, this is a good thing for me ( I guess)

as far as the 4430's, I can honestly say that I had more FUN and enjoyment with those speakers than any others. Just something special there.They are really a hoot and I think everyone who is into "old JBL's" must have a pair some time. But you're right, life goes on and maybe the right person will get'em and enjoy as much as I have. However, letting them go may require some emotional therapy and anti-depressents

I'm really excited about the performance series and can't wait.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    I'm really excited about the performance series and can't wait.
    I'm excited for you and hope you really enjoy them.

clmrt
    Ya but, $4000 for a complete stereo pair?

Actually, looking at what's out there, it's not out of line...

(Harmanaudio.com)

Obsolete

Ya but, $4000 for a complete stereo pair?

I hear you but, well, I'll be blunt. Back in the mid 70's the designer of the Performance Series designed the 4-way 4315. I've known him that long. In fact, he and another JBL engineer who is now a VP helped me build my first pair of custom, mirror imaged 4315's back in the late 70's.

I had a typical "no bullshit" conversation with the designer roughly a year ago and asked him straight up, point blank. "Is the Performance Series really all that? Give me both barrels." The answer - "Light years ahead."

For price/performance the Performance Series "is all that". It's just a no bullshit system that does a whole bunch of stuff right. And no, Walmart doesn't carry it.

Hi clmrt:

Wellllll, I got a better price on new stuff than what I could get on the harmon site ( not a whole lot, but enough, they're coming from Ca.). It was a good deal and I'm happy with it. I've really been thinking about them since they first came out. Yes, it can sound expensive, but from what everyone is saying ( reviewers) even at the "retail" price they're a bargin compared to other speakers, so why not?

also, I'm not very good at restoring old speakers AND I've had most of them at one time or another.

We'll see if I've made a mistake or not. Once I get them, set them up and "break them in" I'll write my 2 cents worth.

Thread Information