Page 119 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    I always wished this speaker had more descriptive reviews. For those considering a set, here is mine!

Monday night I got the stacks up and running and I what else can I say but wow! All my music sounds great and better than ever.

These speakers were to be an upgrade from my L100T3's which I love and my 240ti's which played some music well but never grew on me. For anyone who can use that sound as a reference I can unequivocally opinion that these speakers are better, absolutely better!! These speakers have made my recently purchased tube buffer obsolete, there is no more digital harshness, there is no more uncontrolled shrill to soften. This speaker has definition, and control.

Unlike the 240ti these speakers are not laid back, they are bold and have an excellent but very well controlled top end. Unlike the L100T3 they are not forward impolitely but they retain the liveliness of the music with better balance and no listening fatigue. The 240ti's are a quiet speaker that ask you to peer into the music with their nuance, the T3 is a party animal that presents the music to you leaving little to wonder. The performance series speaker is a blend between the two sounds but with better more capable drivers. It's not in between them, it is far above, right up the center.

The speakers are loud! With the woofer being powered by it's own amp, my NAD can drive these speakers further along the volume knob, without any perceptible distortion. I didn't think I would need to worry about buying another amp with these speakers but they are just so capable, they could use more than the 150 watts my NAD can dish out, and I think they could do it without loosing their composure. TI said it best, they are Righteously Loud! And when they are turned up they vibrate the air with the realism of a live performance I never knew possible. I have run two sets of speakers together sometimes for loudness, and they can't match the sound of one set of these speakers, nowhere close, there's no contest.

And they're not just loud, they're detailed. I hear things presented in a way never before. They don't make you dig for the sound, or bore you, but they are not sassy either, they just present the music in a way that seems natural and wholesome, and they make it look easy. Refined is not a word I would choose, these speakers are not uppity or snobbish, like true talent they just do it, and you know.

Warm, bright, soft, harsh, revealing, quiet, forget about these words that describe the leaning of a speakers coloration, these speakers are TRUE when the truth is something shockingly beautiful to behold. They are center of these descriptions. And forget about neutral, neutral is boring, these speakers make neutral feel constipated. This is not a pitch, what I am trying to say is that these speakers are the real deal people! These speakers have successfully surpassed my old standby's in almost every single regard (see below). Of course I'll never part with the T3, it's a beautiful speaker that I have put alot of effort into refinishing and re-coning ect., and it has a certain personality I'll always like.

Nothing is perfect. If I had one gripe I should fess up about the Performance Series is growly bass. I have listened to alot of LE14H's in 240ti's and 250ti's and their low end is exceptional. I am wondering if this growliness is the result of the tuning of the small box. Any others who have noticed this? Any fix?

To be clear, the bass from these boxes is shaking the house better than ever. These PS1400's are impressive in their output. To that end, I am very satisfied. The hoarseness is my one issue.
    It's been a long time since I've read a new review on the PS speakers, thanks for that. I'm also using the Auralex risers that Redcoat mentioned. It does help.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Here, when placed near a corner they can develop a peak around 60Hz by as much as 10-12db. Definitely in the "growling" range. I'm pretty certain that you won't hear any port chuffing from them either. A sine-wave test tone at 20Hz can rule that out. (be careful) At the levels needed to generate some port noise, you'd be pushing them pretty hard.
    That sounds like what initially happened here too, when they were first set up. This is very surprising since I have had two sets of speakers in the corner's before and never heard such extreme bass excitement. All of the speakers put up against the wall were ported in the back too, so it makes this problem even more perplexing to me. It makes me appreciate just how powerful the 800 watts of power is that come with the PS1400's.

I have some time to play with them today and will try to move things around. Still working on getting them off the floor as well.

rdgrimes, were you the member who chose not to use the risers between the PT800 and PS1400? I was looking at your avater and trying to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    rdgrimes, were you the member who chose not to use the risers between the PT800 and PS1400? I was looking at your avater and trying to remember.
    No. the avatar is just a sloppy photoshop image I made because there are no decent images around of a stack.

Early update on the growl.

First, I pulled the table out of the way. I've had it out before and it just doesn't make a big difference. It's not as big as it looks in the photo, it's just closer. It didn't make a bass difference.

Second, I pulled the speakers forward about 2.5' just to make sure it wasn't the corners. I think bass levels dropped some but that reverberation bass issue remained. This reverberation, it sounds just like it feels if you touch your fingers to the woofer during bass notes, it vibrates. It's that vibration amplified. It's choppy. Like when Tommy Boy talks into the fan "Luke I am your father", only to be rudely disturbed.

Third, I raised the speakers 3.5" off the floor carefully setting them on the sides of 2x4's. It's harder than you might think! That was the ticket. That's the problem!! Not completely eliminated but very good. I check the distance of the woofer from the floor, it's 8". I check the 240ti; it's nearly 10". I guess I'm just not used to hearing that driver so close to the floor. There was definitely a resonance being amplified being so close to the floor, and I can see why it sounded kind of like a sub-woofer rather than the clean woofer bass I am used to. I guess I can more fully appreciate why they always kept those woofer drivers so high on the cabinets.

All things being equal, this is the one factor that makes the most sense. The room had not changed, nor any of the upstream components. Where bass was concerned the biggest change was amplified boxes, and driver spacing. Now I have to see if raising the speakers 4" will have a negative effect on the sound, though it still sounds very balanced so far.

I appreciate all of the input.

Placement is a three-dimensional activity.

Of course, as you raise the bottom, you also raise the top, so be mindful of the tweeter position. With those EOS Waveguides, it should pose no problems, but I don't know how far away or how high your normal listening position is, and, as you write, it sounds very balanced so far. We'll be interested to hear your impressions when you go a little higher.
    Out.

I'm betting someone here got these!

JBL Performance Series speakers PT-800 PS-1400 (pair)

Name:  $(KGrHqFHJBUE8+mZ,sjZBPQqGMM5K!~~60_58.JPG
Views: 3793
Size:  51.6 KB

One bid at $990 in DC.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

holy cannoli what a deal, and I thought getting a single Ti10K for $988 off Harman ebay was the bargain of the century
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Harmon refurbed PS1400's on the Harmon site at $303 each shipped. Helluva deal.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Previous Post Deleted!

And thank you mods, but what the hell was that?

Anyway, to get back on track, we had a day-and-a-half of rain here in SoCal, so yesterday I sat down in the family room, turned on the Performance Series MCH system, and listened to Beck's Sea Change DVD-A while watching the rain and wind pummel the palm trees in the canyon behind the house. It was a wonderful display by Mother Nature and another completely satisfying complement by the JBL Performance Series. I do love this system!
    Out.

Wow, I missed this one, my brother lives in DC and would have picked them up for me or one of us.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    And thank you mods, but what the hell was that?

Anyway, to get back on track, we had a day-and-a-half of rain here in SoCal, so yesterday I sat down in the family room, turned on the Performance Series MCH system, and listened to Beck's Sea Change DVD-A while watching the rain and wind pummel the palm trees in the canyon behind the house. It was a wonderful display by Mother Nature and another completely satisfying complement by the JBL Performance Series. I do love this system!
    what a combo

and luckily the previous post was emailed to me so I can read it for entertainment whenever, great stuff!
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Don't check in for one day and miss the action. Good choice on Beck's "Sea Change". I have it on SACD and it sounds great on the PS speakers.

JBL Ti 5000

Check out the picture in the last post on the page.

http://www.musik-hifi-stammtisch.de/...p?postid=63985

Quote Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
    Check out the picture in the last post on the page.

http://www.musik-hifi-stammtisch.de/...p?postid=63985
    Ah, the 60th Anniversary TL260. We had a thread on that around here somewhere: Studio L guts in a 250 look-alike cabinet.
    Out.

Here's a thread on it.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-TL260-or-L890

In any event, it's not a part of the Performance Series, though it served as another incentive to try to make a Performance-based PT250 with grumpy.
    Out.

Thread Information