Page 104 of 143 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

TiDome: What do you think about the soundquality of the BSS? It is on my shortlist for my own system (stereo 2 way + stereo sub). There is no one around where i live that has a demo unit.

I'm only asking about the sound quality now, not considering reliability and functionality.

Cheers Tim.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

PT250 Update

So today grumpy and I made a big step forward in that we got the 908Ti and 904Ti drivers mounted in the 250 enclosures. Grumpy soldered the wires in place with his ultra high-end soldering rig, worth about 100X my Big Lots unit. We also replaced the LE14enstein drivers with really nice LE14H-1 drivers from one of my pairs of 240Tis.

Because the local expert woodworking shop wanted $50 each to replicate the 044-1 housing in MDF so I could router a hole in the middle of it, I said, "Uh no," and in the process was left with no TM025/EOS Waveguide mounting plate, so we grabbed the 044Ti units out of the 240Ti as well.

Unfortunately
    1. The 044Ti won't fit in the 044-1 housing.
    2. The 044-1 housing screws in from the back while the 044Ti housing bolts in from the front.
    3. The TM025 won't mount in either housing.

Fortunately
    1. Home Depot has screws that are slim enough to fit into the 044Tti threaded mounting holes without stripping out the threads.
    2. The mounting holes in the 044Ti mounting bracket align with the screw holes inside the L250 cabinet.
    3. We were able to mount the 044Ti enclosure and driver without any worrisome complications, and they can still be returned to normal use in the 240Ti if need be.

So now the driver complement is
    • LE14H-1
    • 908Ti
    • 904Ti
    • 044Ti

Next time we get together, I'll have them moved downstairs and connected to four Hafler SR amps (three SR2300 and one SR2600 for the LE14H-1s). The amps will be connected to four channels of the BSS active units, and those will be connected to ???? perhaps the Citation 5.0 as a pre. Then we'll ("we" meaning grumpy) tweak the heck out of it and see what we have.

At some point, I still want to get the TM025 and EOS Waveguide in there, but we'll see when that happens. It's also possible that I might experiment with a sub in addition to these four-way active beasties. After all, the BSS 366 units will still have two unused channels...

Grumpy got some pictures.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    TiDome: What do you think about the soundquality of the BSS? It is on my shortlist for my own system (stereo 2 way + stereo sub). There is no one around where i live that has a demo unit.

I'm only asking about the sound quality now, not considering reliability and functionality.

Cheers Tim.
    Hi Tim. I think the sound quality is just fine. However, I'd defer to grumpy's opinion on this, since his ears are much more discerning than mine. If he says the quality is acceptable, then you can take it as gospel.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Grumpy got some pictures.
    Prove it.

Mike Ronesia
    Pictures please.

Grumpy? Grumpy.

This is the operator calling for Mr. Grumpy. Please pick up the nearest courtesy phone.
    Out.

Can you hear Carly Simon singing while visualizing Heinz ketchup flowing at an annoyingly
    slow pace? Sorry to delay visual gratification.

I'm not really fond of the photos, but here you go.

LE14 trim ring was just placed on top to see how it might look.

Although much effort was applied to ensure the mounting screws
    were aligned with the vertical surface (side), the asymmetry of
    the cabinet and the non-inline arrangement of the driver holes
    does make for an odd illusion. (rotating the drivers 45deg would
    probably look better, but then there would be serious interference
    with the original mounting holes, which do not line up with the
    PT driver requirements). Black rings and hardware? Grille?
    Rotate the drivers from vertical so the screws visually line up
    better? Hmm...

Name:  PT250.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  229.9 KBName:  IMG_0907.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  98.2 KB

Aligning the mount holes with plumb might be the most sensible. But what happens if you lay a straight edge down though the center line of all drivers, then align the holes with that?

Aligning the mount holes with plumb might be the most sensible.
    ...which is precisely what was done. The result looks a bit... wonky.

But what happens if you lay a straight edge down though the center line of all drivers, then align the holes with that?
    yes, this paraphrases my pondering as well.
    It doesn't quite work, but an approximation might work better visually.

Of course, this can be decided later (post listening/testing/listening/...)
    One of the ideas thrown about was to cut out a section of the baffle that would
    allow multiple replacement sections to be tried out... tighter driver grouping,
    vertical alignment, ... but I think we figured it was better to -do- something rather
    than talk about what could be done

Cutting baffle = BAD.

Drivers not being in vertical alignment is the problem. JBL had it right when they just rotated the drivers 45'.

You could use a suitable filler to close the old holes and drill new ones to allow the 45' rotation.

Just leaving the grills on is one solution.

They are offset not much you can do

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I don't have a problem with the way it looks. If I get a suitable mounting plate for the TM025 and EOS Waveguide, it's got to be mounted perfectly horizontal. That means its center will be offset from the 904Ti and its mounting screws will be straight up and down. So, all the drivers will follow suit.

If I fabricate a trim ring for the LE14H-1, then it will share the same fate.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Cutting baffle = BAD.

Drivers not being in vertical alignment is the problem. JBL had it right when they just rotated the drivers 45'.

You could use a suitable filler to close the old holes and drill new ones to allow the 45' rotation.

Just leaving the grills on is one solution.
    One thing we focused on was reversibility. Hence, no baffle cutting at this stage and also no filling and drilling of the original holes and T-nuts. The layout of the mounting holes on the 904Ti drivers is so close to the originals that the t-nuts would have to be driven out in order for new holes to be drilled. I'm not sure how many drillings and fillings the compressed particle board would take, especially if the original holes needed to be redrilled and t-nuts reinstalled.

For now, we'll just focus on sound: good, solid solder connections (grumpy's pretty good at this); clean, stable mounts; cabinet and doghouse integrity; and good integration of the active crossovers.

If it's nothing special, then the original components go back in, and off to sale goes an L250 pair.
    Out.

cutting baffle = asking for problems, yes indeed. BAD? shrug. The baffle is not all that
    badass to begin with, but it would have been a lot of extra work for a small amount
    of flexibility... and hacking the baffle would exceed the point of no return.

Grilles were my idea too Dome wants to see the drivers for some weird reason

So yes, 45deg would help, or possibly canting the orientation by eye,
    approximately splitting the difference between vertical and the angle of
    the sloping side. Can be tried later.

Then there's the trump card:
    I don't have a problem with the way it looks.
    Last edited by grumpy; 06-13-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: sorry, went to lunch mid-post ... so this might seem out of sequence.

In the interest of completeness, shouldn't you be using LE14H-3 woofs in these?

Thread Information