Page 131 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post

BUT when ONLY THE LFE input is used, ALL the bass output is going to the LFE input. So ALL the LF info is controlled by the LFE Control. NONE of the signal can be controlled by the LF Control, because there are NO speaker wires connected to the speaker binding posts. Which is what you would have IF you used configurations 3 or 4, in the manual.
    Which is stated in the last paragraph. What is it about that statement do you not understand?
    You're the only one discussing any scenario where only the LFE input is used. That's certainly an option, but not one being discussed here. Hence the confusion.

It's also a misnomer to use the term "separated mode". The position of the switch for "separate - normal" can be changed whether units are docked or not. And that switch only effects the sub's output.

I'm confused by this statement. If by full range you mean Speaker connection, then yes, the LF controls the amp's gain in either mode Normal or Separated. If you mean the LFE controls the .1 channel, I think this only works in Separated mode, whether there is a speaker connection or not since in Normal mode the coax connection will be set at 130hz by the electronic XO in the PS1400. Turning down the LFE knob in this mode could defeat the amp's gain, which I don't know, but doubt it would work that way.
    As long as the coax is connected to the LFE in, then the LFE control will always work on the .1 in any setup.

I think we understand that only the LFE knob will work when in Separated mode, line in (Sub/LFE in) only. But when you say all the bass frequencies, you mean all that the AV is giving it up to the PS1400's maximum of 300hz.?
    Here is the statement from the manual for configs 3 & 4 (no speaker wire connection), so everything below 80 hz (assuming AVR setting) for bass and below 120 for the .1 is going to the subs.

If you are using the third or fourth configurations, where the main speakers are configured as “Small” and all bass information is being sent to the LFE inputs of the PS1400s, the LFE Level control will operate on all low-frequency information, and not just for the .1 channel effects.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    You're the only one discussing any scenario where only the LFE input is used. That's certainly an option, but not one being discussed here. Hence the confusion.

It's also a misnomer to use the term "separated mode". The position of the switch for "separate - normal" can be changed whether units are docked or not. And that switch only effects the sub's output.
    We were discussing the LFE, LF Controls work on the effects channel and speaker level, respectively. And I was just pointing out that they show 2 configs where the LFE Control works for both of those inputs, if one wanted to use those setups of coax connection only.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    As long as the coax is connected to the LFE in, then the LFE control will always work on the .1 in any setup.

Here is the statement from the manual for configs 3 & 4 (no speaker wire connection), so everything below 80 hz (assuming AVR setting) for bass and below 120 for the .1 is going to the subs.

If you are using the third or fourth configurations, where the main speakers are configured as “Small” and all bass information is being sent to the LFE inputs of the PS1400s, the LFE Level control will operate on all low-frequency information, and not just for the .1 channel effects.
    Before I get too far, Sound, what is it in detail we got wrong? I don't mind the discussion, but I can't stand not being sure what you mean....

For what it's worth...

I just conducted a small experiment. I hooked up the line level to both PS1400's, disconnected the speaker wire. The subs go completely silent when turning down the LFE in either mode Normal/Seperated. So, the LFE knob works in both Normal and Separate, line in only.

When switching to normal the 130hz crossover kicks in as suspected, speaker connected or not.

But here is the really weird thing, and maybe someone knows why, when I plugged in the LFE in Normal mode when the speakers jacks were connected, the bass got better, was hitting harder. WTH????

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    For what it's worth...

I just conducted a small experiment. I hooked up the line level to both PS1400's, disconnected the speaker wire. The subs go completely silent when turning down the LFE in either mode Normal/Seperated. So, the LFE knob works in both Normal and Separate, line in only.

When switching to normal the 130hz crossover kicks in as suspected, speaker connected or not.

But here is the really weird thing, and maybe someone knows why, when I plugged in the LFE in Normal mode when the speakers jacks were connected, the bass got better, was hitting harder. WTH????
    That would be the result of the sub getting twice the signal. Its like connecting a bass signal to both the left and right sub inputs on the plate amp, instead of just to one.

I can't even figure out what you guys are arguing about. Maybe the block diagram will help anyway.

Name:  psblock.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  73.1 KB

A bit off the current topic

But I got around to removing the strapping bars on the PS stacks today. Noticeable improvement as noted [way] earlier in this thread.

Name:  2012-12-16_17-48-13_443.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  71.7 KB
    PT800/PS1400 | ML No 532H | AR Reference 3 | Thorens TD-126, Sumiko FT-3, Talisman S | Musical Surroundings Nova II | NAD M51

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    But I got around to removing the strapping bars on the PS stacks today. Noticeable improvement as noted [way] earlier in this thread.

remember reading that but never got around to it, will have to give it a try, how'd you qualify the noticeable difference?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

I wanted to keep the look of the bars & improved performance of cables so I'm using both. You can't see the cables from the front.

Name:  96875.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  128.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    remember reading that but never got around to it, will have to give it a try, how'd you qualify the noticeable difference?
    It's a worthwhile tweak. Hardly a night and day difference, but I noticed a little bit of a reduction in grain on the top end and a slight further stabilization in imaging. Not going to rule out psychoacoustics, but the grain thing I did do an A/B on. If nothing else, I like the security of the connection as I never felt like I could get the bars to "bite."

Quote Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
    I wanted to keep the look of the bars & improved performance of cables so I'm using both. You can't see the cables from the front.
    I thought about doing the same because I like the aesthetics of the bars too, but I went with banana plus instead. I do see you have the PS1400 up off the ground which is something I've considered as well. What are you using as a platform? Any comments you can share about how it's impacted the sound?
    PT800/PS1400 | ML No 532H | AR Reference 3 | Thorens TD-126, Sumiko FT-3, Talisman S | Musical Surroundings Nova II | NAD M51

It's a worthwhile tweak. Hardly a night and day difference, but I noticed a little bit of a reduction in grain on the top end and a slight further stabilization in imaging. Not going to rule out psychoacoustics, but the grain thing I did do an A/B on. If nothing else, I like the security of the connection as I never felt like I could get the bars to "bite."

I thought about doing the same because I like the aesthetics of the bars too, but I went with banana plus instead. I do see you have the PS1400 up off the ground which is something I've considered as well. What are you using as a platform? Any comments you can share about how it's impacted the sound?
    I used the banana plug jumpers in addition to the links. They are Aurlex Grammas. It decouples them from the floor. Less transmission of bass up the walls to the upstairs.

My poor mans
    Performance Series
    They do sound really good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

^^^
    the dog is not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    My poor mans
    Performance Series
    They do sound really good.
    I had to show your setup to my GF, (after I burst up laughing out loud ) just so she knows there are people just as crazy as me out there, lol!!

That is a huge center channel!!!

I have always lusted over the xpl's..

Thread Information