Page 115 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The LFE input can be used regardless of whether the 1400 is stacked. In fact, it can be used in a couple different ways when stacked. If you set your front stacks as "small" in your processor and feed L-R LF content to the LFE input, this gives you separate gain controls over the <80Hz and 80-130HZ content in the 1400.
    Sure, but that is entirely processor dependent. The slope and frequency of the processor's internal filter may not be as similar to the JBL design as one wants... it would certainly be worth exploring though.

Widget

thanks guys

enough tweakability to be dangerous in the wrong hands (mine )
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    thanks guys

enough tweakability to be dangerous in the wrong hands (mine )
    I try to apply the KISS principle, but ultimately it takes a little more than that. Fortunately, it doesn't take OCD to get it right, either. Just invite some technically inclined dudes over to your place and be sure one of 'em brings a calibrated mic and FuzzMeasure. Give 'em a beer and some chips, and let them do the work.
    Out.

I think I just heard a bullet from Open Range whiz past my head but sure...

Meanwhile, I'd suggest experimenting with the stack as full-range,
    as that's a professionally pre-flogged out arrangement.

No one can tell you what is 'right' for the bass level controls, so season
    to taste (probably finding at least one position that works at your nominal
    listening level).

I'm still working on that invite

I will admit however, that I feel a little silly asking for FuzzMeasure/mike calibrations when I'm powering these fine speakers (for now) with a 75WPC HK AVR that doesn't offer the kind of EQ that it would take to use the plots, right? I guess we could effectively alter LF levels on the PS from the plots ?

I will admit however, that I feel a little silly asking for FuzzMeasure/mike calibrations when I'm powering these fine speakers (for now) with a 75WPC HK AVR that doesn't offer the kind of EQ that it would take to use the plots, right? I guess we could effectively alter LF levels on the PS from the plots ?
    For speakers as refined as your Performance Series speakers you really don't want to get involved in any EQ. The measurements will help setting the balance between the sub, your PS1400s, and the PT800s... but even that should really be dialed in by ear, though it is nice to see what you are hearing.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    For speakers as refined as your Performance Series speakers you really don't want to get involved in any EQ. The measurements will help setting the balance between the sub, your PS1400s, and the PT800s... but even that should really be dialed in by ear, though it is nice to see what you are hearing.

Widget
    Good point.

I will admit that while at times I wasn't happy with a perceived "overabundance" of bass from the L7, I do seem to be going to a bit of a withdrawal/adjustment to the PS/PT stacks. There is an enveloping fullness to the L7 that I miss. Can't quite find the right words to describe it. I'm not sure if I simply need to adjust to better drivers with more refinement and a more neutral design, or if I need to increase the PS1400 output level from "0" where they now sit....suppose this is where the measurements will come into play. On the plus side, I drove the L7s all the way to the storage unit, put them on a cart and said "can't do it" and took em back home to the garage. Hopefully I can arrange to have the "tech savvy dudes" over for the measurements of both systems to "see" what I think I'm hearing.

P.S. (no pun intended) if any owners of PS Stacks and L7 have any insight into what I'm talking about would love to hear it.

After fooling with the level knob on the sub for a while, I settled on leaving it all the way up, all the time. But I wouldn't claim that any science was involved. That's just the way I liked it.

Good points. I think you're correct that adjusting the LF to taste is a wise move!

Patience and persistence wins out. I got one pair of the PT800 corner brackets from the eBay seller for $25. Still one pair left if somebody wants to try for the same deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230663422737...84.m1423.l2649
    I got these today. As I expected, heavy as hell. Came in original packaging. These things would easily hold a 100# speaker. Too bad I have no use for them.

I got these today. As I expected, heavy as hell. Came in original packaging. These things would easily hold a 100# speaker. Too bad I have no use for them.
    I've got two boxes of the darn things--never even opened them. They came with other Performance Series packages that I picked up. I've tried to think of ways to use them. I might actually be able to use at least two of them if I go 5.1 with the PT250s when they're done.
    Out.

In two weeks, it'll be exactly two months since this post. I guess we shouldn't expect anything in 2011?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    A nice thing... the "PT250" is already (IMO) at the level where comparing things like sources and front ends is interesting. This, in a room that most would think would present a few...
    challenges ... a topic that came up at lunch, including a replay of some Toole-ish thinking
    about room design and accuracy in replay, vs. what the sampled populous responds to as being an enjoyable listening experience.

For some reason, the kludgey combination of MacOSX, Parallels, Windows7, London Architect, USB-serial converter, BSS-366 didn't want to play in Peoria this time...
    Next time, for sure

We had a good (too brief) time anyway (as has been mentioned)... Thanks Doug.
    Yesterday, Mac OSX, Parallels, Windows 7, London Architect, the BSS-366T, et al redeemed themselves, as did the operator. We got everything working so well that grumpy was able to create a nearly flat system response, and boy did it suck, especially when compared to the pre-existing yet incomplete setting stored in memory. I guess if we were going to sit 1 Meter from each speaker it would have been better, but at normal listening distance, it was bad.

So some crossovers were changed, some EQ 0-ed out and reconfigured, gain adjusted for certain drivers, and the mic moved back, and things improved. A lot. Now I'll live with the PT250s for a while to see how I like them this way.

One thing for certain, the presence of a great looking graph says little about how you'll like the sound, especially when in-room response plays such a big factor in final pleasure (or lack thereof). grumpy kept at it bringing them to a more pleasing sound, and we easily could have spent another six hours tweaking. However, a pitcher of strawberry margaritas and a platter of tacos was waiting, so...

Out.

To make things a little easier on grumpy, I brought down a second monitor to attach to his MacBook pro. The MBP showed the FuzzMeasure screen, and the ACER flat screen showed London Soundweb. The 908Ti driver was the most challenging, and eventually the tweaking got so complex (as seen in the second photo) that he erased the entire thing and started over. Then he nailed the driver with just two tweaks and a crossover change.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Out.

Glad to hear the project is working out.

Thread Information