Page 75 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Come to think of it, which member was going to build 250Ti type boxes for the PS? And did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    So that means the PS1400 was designed more for looks than total performance, not counting how it mates with the 908 at the top end. But putting it into a bigger box and changing the tuning in no way lessens the overall sound, just the opposite, it would make it better.
    Not at all. What it "means" is that the PS1400 is designed to work with the PT800. That can mean looks AND it can mean a lot of other things. One needs only to peruse ebay and CL to see the unfortunate results of people trying to "improve" the performance of JBL speakers only to wind up with a worthless speaker. So if you want a better "sub", build or buy a better sub. And sell me your PS1400s in original condition.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Not at all. What it "means" is that the PS1400 is designed to work with the PT800. That can mean looks AND it can mean a lot of other things. One needs only to peruse ebay and CL to see the unfortunate results of people trying to "improve" the performance of JBL speakers only to wind up with a worthless speaker. So if you want a better "sub", build or buy a better sub. And sell me your PS1400s in original condition.
    I don't have any PS1400, never bought any, or a PC600, for that matter. I use a pair of diy SUB1500s instead, with the PT800s mounted on top. And I'm not the only member of this forum to do just that.
    Mike Bake has the same setup, which the SUB1500 boxes were built by 4313B, if I remember right.

And yes, that are many diy projects that show up on ebay and elsewhere that are junk, but that in no way means a JBL design can not be improved on.
    I've done it with 5 L212, three of which the only upgrade was by-pass XOs, which make them more dynamic, obviously better for movies.

And one pair that I built mirror imaged boxes for, plus C-C networks for them. And they are a total improvement to the originals. The mirror imaged boxes provide a better soundstage and the C-C networks gives me the same quality level networks used in the K2 and Everest.

Obsolete
    I built the SUB1500 boxes to look like the PS1400 boxes.

Titanium Dome provided all the physical measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    And very nice looking boxes they are, as I remember the pics MB uplinked.

Although the ones I built resemble the L212 boxes, as that is what I was using in the HT at the time. And had to do a different mounting setup, as I didn't have the brackets that the PS has.

Titanium Dome provided all the physical measurements.
    I still have those drawings if anyone wants them.

I had a thought to remove the plate amp, cut the back off the PS1400 enclosure and extend it by an inch or so. This would increase the internal volume without widening the front elevation of the unit. Then put the back and the plate amp on the extension.

But, I think about a lot of things.

It'd be hard to "match" the black ash vinyl.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I still have those drawings if anyone wants them.

I had a thought to remove the plate amp, cut the back off the PS1400 enclosure and extend it by an inch or so. This would increase the internal volume without widening the front elevation of the unit. Then put the back and the plate amp on the extension.

It'd be hard to "match" the black ash vinyl.
    Being it would be at the back, might be better to use something like clear 1"x 2" mounted on edge, with the face lined up with the edge of the back champer of the box and spray painted with gloss black.

Obsolete
    It would be easier and far less destructive to just build new boxes. You need a 22-1/2° Tongue & Groove Router Bit Set which Rockler used to carry but I can't find anymore.

LE14H/LE14H-1/LE14H-3 + 3.5 to 4.0 cu ft + 30 Hz to 28 Hz fb = splendid bass response

And to all the whiners that need flat response to 25 Hz instead - Whatever!

My thought was if one removed the plate amp and made a 1x2, or 1x3 frame, with the narrow edges facing front to back, then just fasten the edge of the frame to the back face of the box, around the opening. Then the plate amp screwed to the frame.

That would be easier than making all those 22.5* angles. But I've built similar boxes and other stuff, using a groove and spline method, using an Intrajig router fence system.

Obsolete
    Oh, so you guys are just talking about freeing up some volume by pulling out the plate amp? I have no idea what kind of volume that displaces. I'd have to look and see if that thing had any EQ built in. If it is like the 1500 Array then it does. If it doesn't then you could just use any amp you want externally.

I think that's what TiDome was thinking, being I don't have any PS1400s, I was just offering an easy solution.

When I built my SUB1500 boxes and didn't know if I was going to go with 2.5 sealed or 4.0 ported. So I built 8" deep, 4 sided extentions that interconnected with the back of the 2.5 cuft box. Which was two layers of 5/8" mdf glued together, for the top, bottom and sides with all offset edges, which would have been the same as using 1 1/4" mdf with rabbited edges. So all the pieces locked together, providing a lot more gluing surfaces.
    The baffles are a total of 1 3/4" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

It would be easier and far less destructive to just build new boxes.
    Yeah, really, one FU and I'd have to build new boxes anyway. That's why I do a lot of thinking and not much doing: usually my last thought is, Naw, you're just going to F it U.
    Out.

If the only thing you would doing is removing the plate amp to gain its displacement, and not cutting the back out. Then its just a matter of building a frame to fit around that opening, with the frame having the same depth as the amp. And with the amp screwed to the frame there would be the entire volume of the box, w/o the amp taking up any space.

Now if you wanted to actually add to the total size of the box, then that's a bit more work, but certainly doable.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Come to think of it, which member was going to build 250Ti type boxes for the PS? And did you do it?
    You may mean me.. I've got some 250 enclosures that I was going to put the tranducers from the PS Stack into. Due to personal matters I've done almost nothing with JBL for the last year and half or more, nor i have I been on the forum much..

thread where we discussed this is...

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ad.php?t=12988

I'm hoping that 2009 will be the year I'll get it done. Not sure if another member was going to do the same thing. However, just to place the PS stuff into the 250 enclosure without heavy mods ( enclosure, crossovers) would most likely produce less than satisfactory results

As I recall, you don't just have "some" 250 enclosures; you have the XPL250 enclosures, n'est-ce pas?
    Out.

Thread Information