Page 21 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Reviews

I can't believe this thread is now 300 posts long. I'll have to go back and see what I said. Even I can't find it easily.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I can't believe this thread is now 300 posts long. I'll have to go back and see what I said. Even I can't find it easily.
    I know, I don't think you said the name of the reviewer. Opps, ladies home and we have to get ready for her father. It's always something here.

got to go

Dome:

if your try this ( changing cables) try the 12ga ( very pure copper if you can - monsters good enough for testing purpose), I think you will hear the biggest difference with that. I cut mine 10" and then striped 3/4" off the ends. It's longer than it needs to be but the extra lenght helps when putting them on. Hook the bottoms first

Quote Originally Posted by amadeo
    monstercable...5* the price....and it has a seperate plastic wire in the middle for the bass signal very cool ...very expensive ...very nice
    That explains everything. Horns RULE!

Quote Originally Posted by DMMD
    That explains everything. Horns RULE!

Harr-r-r-r-rumpf! Not in this thread.

Remember, we're talking about natural, accurate sound, not what makes the most noise.
    Out.

Hey Dome:

when are you going to cough up about $8 for 2 Ft of good 12ga pure copper cables to test this out. Can't wait to hear what your results are.

Well, just put "Darkside of the Moon" first time I've heard it since switching cables and all I can say is

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Hey Dome:

when are you going to cough up about $8 for 2 Ft of good 12ga pure copper cables to test this out. Can't wait to hear what your results are.

I'm going on a recon and possible rescue and recovery mission for a few forum members today. Maybe I'll try it when I get back. I've got lots of wire in the garage.
    Out.

I'm going on a recon and possible rescue and recovery mission for a few forum members today.
    - Gee, I just love some of these early 60s' movies.....

- Now, is this mission going to be a 007 tart-em-up classic or Guns of Navarone thriller ?

EarlK

PS - ( I too would like to know if you hear what "JBLnsince1959" hears with this wire vs plate changeout thing )

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - Gee, I just love some of these early 60s' movies.....

- Now, is this mission going to be a 007 tart-em-up classic or Guns of Navarone thriller ?

EarlK

PS - ( I too would like to know if you hear what "JBLnsince1959" hears with this wire vs plate changeout thing )
    Good one, I was thinking the same thing. ( movie)

Of course if he heard the exact same thing I'll be surprise ( different room, amp, wires etc). all I can say is I hear a big difference and I like it. Even if he heards a difference he may not like it as he's listen to them so long the change may be uncomfortable. I haven't really done a lot of A/B tests as I've just enjoyed listening to them really for the first time, so I'm just soaking the music right now.

I'm not a real fan of large monster cable as it smears the the sound ( or any large speaker wire) -I personally like the Kimber stuff [8tc] myself for large wire and PSS silver wire - together sometimes), BUT even the large monster shit is so much better than those posts. I'm not sure what they are made of ( most likely NOT brass), most likely Al. or some alloy.

I'm now making the Kimber 8TC's really as I write....

Bottom-line for me is that I'm hearing the speakers like well..speakers, everything is more balanced and enjoyable. which of course is my reality.

Okay, my mission is over, and it was a success. Tonight I'll make a couple of short cables and put them on the Performance Series stacks tomorrow.
    Out.

All right, the "jumper" cables are done. I've got pairs of zip cord, Home Depot 14ga speaker wire, and no-name 12ga oxygen-free, braided audio cable.

Will check it out today, also doing some work with AudioTest and the AS1000 Differential/Comparator. That way I'll check if I can "see" any difference as well as hear it.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    All right, the "jumper" cables are done. I've got pairs of zip cord, Home Depot 14ga speaker wire, and no-name 12ga oxygen-free, braided audio cable.

Will check it out today, also doing some work with AudioTest and the AS1000 Differential/Comparator. That way I'll check if I can "see" any difference as well as hear it.
    Dome:

"sounds good" to me.

If you have it some try some 16 and 18ga wire. here's why....

It has been my experience that when dealing with basic wire ( standard two strand and not talking about complicated geometries), the thicker the wire the more the individual sounds will become larger and "rounded"( or bloom if you will, some would say "richer") and usually will sound more mid-bass "friendly ( and bass also - sounds "Fuller") , BUT, it will lose more articulation as the wire is thicker. This lost of articulation has been decribed by some as a smearing of the sound.

By articulation , I mean how sharply and distinctly the individual notes and sounds are presented ( tansients). Usually the smaller the wire the more Articulate the sound, or the more distinct the sounds are. On the subjective side this is experienced ( for me anyway) as the individual sounds are "smaller" and more "pin-pricky" and there is more "space" between the sounds.

While I only did about 15 minutes of comparisons ( not much as all) and not under "good" conditions I came to the following conculsions ( quicky I might add)

the standard posts that JBL provided were more Mid-range and highs "friendly" and less Mid-bass( less fullness). There also seemed to a mid-range and highs Glare ( In your face - like a bad horn), BUT the articulation was very, very good. As I first tried one side with a standard 16ga monster cable the sound seem to relax more with more mid-bass fullness and more "space" between the individual sounds with pretty good articualtion, less, but still good. When I tried the 12ga. the midbass really opened up and became "Full" but at a lost of articulation. I left the 12ga on all day yesterday as it was ( to me) so much better than the standard posts. I have since made some connectors using Kimber 8TC to bring back the lost articulation.

personally, I've not used 14ga so I can't say how much a difference between to the 14ga and 12ga there will be as far as articulation ( but you may not be worried about that)

also, the source's could make a difference. Right now I'm using a Mac 7008 CD, Mac C-40 pre-amp and a MC-402 amp. I haven't hooked up to my other sources ( aragon and marantz), but the basic differences should be there no matter what.

It will be interesting to "hear" what you experience both subjectively and measure.

let us know.

Oh, forgot to say....the main cables to the speakers...I'm using Kimber 8TC Plus PSS Silver.

The zip cord is 16ga.
    Out.

Thread Information