Page 142 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143 LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Performance series listed for sale

Hi All,

I’m selling my 7 channel Performance Series, it’s listed on US Audio Mart. My system was posted here on post #1243.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
    Hi All,

I’m selling my 7 channel Performance Series, it’s listed on US Audio Mart. My system was posted here on post #1243.
    Sorry to see your note and listing — you had quite the impressive system. It seems like a general end of an era, to a degree. I loved when this thread was active.

JBL Studio 590

Has anyone ever compared the PT800/PS1400 to the Studio 590 speakers (also a work of Greg Timbers)? People seem to rave about them online, so I'm tempted to add a set to my collection. I'm curious how they compare. I'm very interested in how the low crossover point of 1.5kHz affects vocals and imaging but I wonder if I can live with the high-frequency rolloff shown in the measurements of the review below, though it appears shallow and minimal or maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Take a look at the frequency response graph in this review.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AOHD2YMpOWCJG4

If anyone is looking for parts or complete speakers, here's a deal, (no affliation):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27482481405...53.m1438.l2649

2x PT800 and a PC600.

Edit: already gone.

050625 Tweeter

I think I've damaged one of my PT800's tweeters. It measures 6 dB lower in output vs my other 3 PT800s, so I opened it up to swap it with another to make sure the tweeter is the culprit, and when I did that, I discovered that all my tweeters have the part number 050625 on their backs. Has anyone found out what was going on with the two different part numbers? Is one better than the other? I was about to buy one of the S speakers to harvest the tweeter, but now I'm thinking I'll need a pair or two so that they'll all match, and I'm wondering how they'll sound different.

Anyone have any success buying the tweeters by themselves? What's their list price? I read that someone was able to buy them from a Canadian distributor. How does one go about doing it that way?

The S-Center uses the 335663-001 tweeter right? I looked it up, and this service manual gives a part number 40DT25BC-DT01. Does this mean that I can buy that tweeter and use it in the PT800? Has anyone taken a tweeter out of an S-Center and confirmed that it is the right tweeter?

https://servicemanuals.us/jbl/audio/...io-series.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanl View Post
    I just opened up my tweeters because they sounded a little different. Here's what I found, looks like two different tweeters. they measure the same with a meter, the 335663-001 is correct right? Can I get a replacement?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AudioLover773 View Post
    I think I've damaged one of my PT800's tweeters. It measures 6 dB lower in output vs my other 3 PT800s, so I opened it up to swap it with another to make sure the tweeter is the culprit, and when I did that, I discovered that all my tweeters have the part number 050625 on their backs. Has anyone found out what was going on with the two different part numbers? Is one better than the other? I was about to buy one of the S speakers to harvest the tweeter, but now I'm thinking I'll need a pair or two so that they'll all match, and I'm wondering how they'll sound different.

Anyone have any success buying the tweeters by themselves? What's their list price? I read that someone was able to buy them from a Canadian distributor. How does one go about doing it that way?

The S-Center uses the 335663-001 tweeter right? I looked it up, and this service manual gives a part number 40DT25BC-DT01. Does this mean that I can buy that tweeter and use it in the PT800?

My recollection is that there are 2 versions, but the only difference is in the way they mount into the waveguide. With a little finesse they should be interchangeable. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I think there's a sort of a spacer that gets added or subtracted. Been quite a while since I had one apart.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    My recollection is that there are 2 versions, but the only difference is in the way they mount into the waveguide. With a little finesse they should be interchangeable. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I think there's a sort of a spacer that gets added or subtracted. Been quite a while since I had one apart.
    Your memory serves you well, RD. I've harvested those Ti tweeters from S Series units and a little finesse is all it takes for a correct mount. I've used both metal and steel small washers to do this, and I've noticed no difference between the two. Early on, I used plastic so as not to add any metal near the magnet, but of course the screws are metal, so...
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Your memory serves you well, RD. I've harvested those Ti tweeters from S Series units and a little finesse is all it takes for a correct mount. I've used both metal and steel small washers to do this, and I've noticed no difference between the two. Early on, I used plastic so as not to add any metal near the magnet, but of course the screws are metal, so...
    I'd doubt there's much of any ferrous metal in the screws or washers. Anyways I think I still have a spare tweet lurking around here somewhere that came from an S38.

Here's something that adds even more confusion. I found an S-Center for sale (the one with the copper-colored cones, not the Series II model), and the seller was kind enough to take a picture of the back of the tweeter, and the model number is 338059-001, and when I searched that up, it came up as a tweeter for their Series II speakers. I've read that people say the Series II tweeter is incompatible or inferior?

Name:  JBL S-Center tweeter back.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  89.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AudioLover773 View Post

The S-Center uses the 335663-001 tweeter right? I looked it up, and this service manual gives a part number 40DT25BC-DT01. Does this mean that I can buy that tweeter and use it in the PT800? Has anyone taken a tweeter out of an S-Center and confirmed that it is the right tweeter?

The ones I have, one from a PT800, and one from a S38, both say 335663-001, which is all I can tell you. In that picture, only the mounting strap is visible, the actual driver is underneath. You take that out and pop it into the plastic bracket from the PT800. Though I will also point out that the bracket from the S38 looks just like the one from the PT800, neither one looks like the above photo.

I also have a dead tweeter, is there a place to buy them (Canada?) or is it harvest season only?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Does anyone have experience with the ebay plate amp repair service. They claim to have refurbished many PS1400 plate amps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25274360896...gAAOSwA3dYlOCP

Quote Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the ebay plate amp repair service. They claim to have refurbished many PS1400 plate amps.

I would caution against this for a couple reasons. 1st, shipping an amp has its own set of risks. 2nd, its my feeling that a competent repair person would ask for the entire sub, not just the plate amp. The reason for that is for testing purposes. If they have an actual sub in house for amp testing, that's fine.
    My advice is to locate a local shop that does electronics repairs. I've had some array subs repaired that way with good success. Still, they do have good feedback so if you're willing to risk the $190 plus shipping, let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I would caution against this for a couple reasons. 1st, shipping an amp has its own set of risks. 2nd, its my feeling that a competent repair person would ask for the entire sub, not just the plate amp. The reason for that is for testing purposes. If they have an actual sub in house for amp testing, that's fine.
    My advice is to locate a local shop that does electronics repairs. I've had some array subs repaired that way with good success. Still, they do have good feedback so if you're willing to risk the $190 plus shipping, let us know how it goes.
    Thanks for the advice. My PS1400's and HTPS400's are working great. I'm looking for options when the inevitable happens.

Quote Originally Posted by EZ-Rhino View Post

i do. Totally got scammed. Guy was in the Phx area, out of his house when I looked up the shipping address. But I was desperate. He held onto it for months with no feedback. I had to press constantly and he finally started giving BS about expensive components he’d need to fix it, then finally said he couldn’t fix it, total mess. Didn’t end well. I’ll never do that again through ebay. Problem is I couldn’t and still cannot find a shop locally to work on it. Ended up getting new amps from a forum member on both ps1400s
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Thread Information