Page 84 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Where did you put the Wii's sensor bar?

Looks great! Those PT800s will love that open room.

My only suggestion is consider putting something on the front wall to a) absorb unwanted sound and b) darken the area around the screen. I know this is probably down the road and may require approval from others, but just think about it while you're enjoying the heck out of this wonderful system right now.

Congratulations!
    Out.

Nice setup and room. The PS is indeed a very good system. Must really pound with 6 subs.
    I'm only using two real subs, two L55s for secondary subs and I get slamed.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

I like your use of multple subs.

I have not seen this debated here(or at least recently) about the need for more than just one sub.
    There is a saying that since bass is onmi-directional it does not matter where you put the sub. I tend to disagree with this statement.

After hearing some surround setups with one sub and small surrounds I didn't like the effect. I chose to use my JBL L88s as the surround speakers this way I configured my surrounds as a large speaker and get the low frequencies in the surround sounds coming from the L88s instead from coming from the front sub.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I have not seen this debated here(or at least recently) about the need for more than just one sub.
    That's because there is no debate. Multiple subs rule.

Nice setup there St. Anger!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    "Multisubs" by Todd Welti (Harman International Industries)
    http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

"Based on the assumption of a rectangular room and a seating area in the center or center-rear of the room that there is no justification to use more than four (subwoofers). To the contrary, it was observed that the LF factor actually went down for larger numbers of subwoofers." (p.27) " Two and four subwoofers at the wall midpoints are still the best configurations overall." (p.26)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    "Multisubs" by Todd Welti (Harman International Industries)
    http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

"Based on the assumption of a rectangular room and a seating area in the center or center-rear of the room that there is no justification to use more than four (subwoofers). To the contrary, it was observed that the LF factor actually went down for larger numbers of subwoofers." (p.27) " Two and four subwoofers at the wall midpoints are still the best configurations overall." (p.26)
    Generally speaking having subs at the 4 mid-points or the 4 corners is usually best. But its also room dependent. I've got rectangular room, with 4 hard corners. I do have the L55s (used as subs) at the side wall mid-points, but I have my main subs stacked with the L/R speakers, as those two locations showed to be the hotest, besides the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Where did you put the Wii's sensor bar?

The sensor bar for the Wii is sitting on top of the right front L8400P.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Nice setup and room. The PS is indeed a very good system. Must really pound with 6 subs.
    I'm only using two real subs, two L55s for secondary subs and I get slamed.
    Keep in mind I am only running 4 subs, the PS1400's are running as "fullrange" in the stacks.

With that being said, the system really kicks a$$ with hard rock , the concrete floor of the basement vibrates and I can feel the bass pound in my chest. I have not done any optimization of placement or settings, they were just hooked up and ran. I did run with just the front 2 for about a month and was quite surprised how much "fuller" the sound was when I placed the 2 rear subs in service.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
    Keep in mind I am only running 4 subs, the PS1400's are running as "fullrange" in the stacks.

With that being said, the system really kicks a$$ with hard rock , the concrete floor of the basement vibrates and I can feel the bass pound in my chest. I have not done any optimization of placement or settings, they were just hooked up and ran. I did run with just the front 2 for about a month and was quite surprised how much "fuller" the sound was when I placed the 2 rear subs in service.
    The PT800/PS1400 stacks full range are still subs in use. Not having a sub connected for LFE doesn't make it any less of a sub, its still playing the sub frequencies just not the encoded LFE track.
    But, yes, adding other subs to the mix does fill out the entire area with bass.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
    Yes, that makes a difference and makes sense when stacked.
    Out.

The PT800/PS1400 stacks full range are still subs in use. Not having a sub connected for LFE doesn't make it any less of a sub, its still playing the sub frequencies just not the encoded LFE track.
    Huh?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Huh?
    Those PT800/PS1400 are receiving a full range signal, which includes the bass. And unless you setup the AVR for front: small, which would be stupid, the PS1400 are in fact playing the bass.

As long as the AVR is set for fronts:large/full those PS1400 are going to play down to 28htz. That's the normal bass, not the LFE track.

Those PT800/PS1400 are receiving a full range signal, which includes the bass. And unless you setup the AVR for front: small, which would be stupid, the PS1400 are in fact playing the bass.

As long as the AVR is set for fronts:large/full those PS1400 are going to play down to 28htz. That's the normal bass, not the LFE track.
    Well, if it's "normal bass" and the unit is crossing over way up at 130 Hz, then why would you call it a subwoofer?

There is a way for the PT800/PS1400 stack to be configured as both full-range AND have the PS1400s serve as LFE subs at the same time. It's page 12 of the owner's manual. Unless St. Anger has configured his units this way, then he's only running four subs as he wrote.

Anyway, it's probably all semantics.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Well, if it's "normal bass" and the unit is crossing over way up at 130 Hz, then why would you call it a subwoofer?

There is a way for the PT800/PS1400 stack to be configured as both full-range AND have the PS1400s serve as LFE subs at the same time. It's page 12 of the owner's manual. Unless St. Anger has configured his units this way, then he's only running four subs as he wrote.

Anyway, it's probably all semantics.
    Not all subs are created equal as to their low end roll off. My SUB1500s will play a lot lower than the PS1400. But a sub is a sub is a sub.

But no matter how you connect the 1400s they will be -3db @ 28htz, as long as the AVR is not set to fronts:small when connected with speaker wire.

The differences as to those various connections are:
    1) The crossover point to the PT800, using the sub internal XO, is 130 htz
    2) Still stacked but the 1400s connected via AVR coax subout and its 80 htz
    3) Connected for LFE only then it receives the encoded .1 channel.

But in very possible setup the PS1400s are playing down to 28 htz, its intended sub output.

Thread Information