Page 73 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

I find that the 2 PS1400s in L-R position nearly eliminates standing waves in my 3500CF HT room. However they do not quite get the job done for LFE. Adding a L8400p in the middle of the room made a huge difference for LFE, and the 8400p has much better response at the bottom end. That said, I absolutely would not give up having the PS1400s docked to the PT800s in front, since this creates a 4-way design that is as near to perfect for music as I have ever heard.

I don't think that adding more PS1400s would be my preferred route, since other subs are better suited for pure LFE duty. However, if one needs "full-range" speakers in the surround positions for some reason, docked PS1400-Pt800s are hard to beat. But if you want to rattle the neighbors windows with LFE, a dedicated sub or subs will be the way to go. 2 L8400ps, combined with 2 PS1400s will be more than enough to shake any room under 4000CF. I still consider the L8400p to be one of the most under-rated subs around.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    That said, I absolutely would not give up having the PS1400s docked to the PT800s in front, since this creates a 4-way design that is as near to perfect for music as I have ever heard.
    Think modern day 250Ti... 14-inch 4-way
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I don't think that adding more PS1400s would be my preferred route, since other subs are better suited for pure LFE duty.
    And Greg has mentioned several times that the PS1400 is a bit too small in volume (2.8 cu ft) to have the same bottom end that the Citation 7.4 (3.4 cu ft or) or L250/250Ti (4.0 cu ft) had; It is designed to look "right" with the PT800 and it does.

johnaec,
    If you're going with the PS use the PT800 all around, not counting if you want/need to use a PC600 center. With the main L/R stacked to the PS1400.

As for the PT800 surrounds, are you going to wall mount or free stand?
    The PT800s work very well as wallmounts. So in that setup you could use any other sub for the third and fourth subs, plus having the flexibility of placing those subs where they'll work best in your room.

As for the Arrays, they would be an upgrade, but a much higher price tag.

Part of the theory for the rear stack with the PT800 & PS1400 was that I don't have a good location for rears, the "stack" would make nice speaker stands. The cost difference is negligible between 2 more PS1400's vs the 2 L8400P's.

What I am not sure about is the performance difference between the PS1400's and the L8400p's.

I currently have 2 L8400p's in along with my L890's and the LC2 center. I think the L8400p's are satisfactory for my current set up.

I at one point in time owned the Infinity Prelude MTS L,C,R and subsequently sold after a few years use when we started having kids. I have been kicking myself since. I absolutely loved the Preludes and have not been acoustically satisified since. I am in search of that now.The bass on the Preludes was tight and sounded great. They were a powered sub with a 1000W amp with a sealed enclosure.

Or you could get a set of speaker stands for the rear PT800 and use the L8400 subs or your third/fourth subs. As long as you're using subs in identical pairs (2 PS2400/2 L8400) and setup symmetrically, would be best, you're good to go.

In my HT I have a pair of JBL SUB1500 (diy) stacked with my main L/R PT800 and then use an old pair of L55s for subs, that have LE14A woofers, located at the mid-points of the side walls. And that combo works very well.

So it sounds like this option makes the most since?

L & R front: PT800 & PS1400 stacked hooked up as "full range"
    C: PC600
    Rears: PT800
    Sides: P520Ws
    Subs: (2) L8400P's

I am finishing the basement and I do not plan on having a dedicated room for HT, rather an area that can be seen from all of the basement. Therefor I am going to have limited wall space at listening level in the rear and sides. The total cubic feet will be around 9700.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
    Also, has anyone heard the Array 1400's? Would they be better than the PS series for the front L&R?
    Yes... they are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The step up from the Performance Series would probably be the SAM1, SAM2, SAM3 along with the S2S subwoofers.
    This is the route I'd be looking at if I currently had the room for a proper home theater. Since I have them, I'd go with my custom Sub1500 subs instead, but the SAMs are perfect for a full blown high performance home theater... I'd try to use SAM1/2 for the center as well... space depending.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    They don't look nearly as nice as the Performance Series.
    Certainly no glitter... just performance, unlike the Performance Series which is covered in glitter instead of real wood veneer.

Widget

If you don't already have the P520W, I'd use the PT800 all around.
    One thing about the PT800, as they have four threaded 1/4 20 holes in the bottom, makes it easy to bolt to speaker stands, instead of just sitting on the stands.

Would you reccommend the Array 1400's for front L&R over the PS stacks knowing that I could not match any other part of the system with the Arrays?

For myself, I've only read about the Arrays, on this forum, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of how they sound, compared to the PS. But if I was just doing a 2 channel Array system, then yes.
    But a complete Arrays package can be bought form a Synthesis dealer. I've even seen some Array packages online a few months ago, from some dealer in/around Ohio, I think it was, on ebay.

I don't believe in mixing systems to get a MC system. After I finished my LR/HT 11 years ago, I used what I had. A pair of L212 and 3 L55s. The L55s across the front and the L212 for surrounds. Total timbre mismatch when the sound moved from front to back, as the L55 are soft dome 2-ways. although having 3 L55 front was a perfect match.

I then built up the 2.1 L212 to a 7.2 L212 and used for 4 years, before I managed to get 5 PT800. Which I still use the rear L212 pair. But the L212 and the PT800 are a very close match. Both 3-way systems using 1", 4", 8" drivers.

I am finishing the basement and I do not plan on having a dedicated room for HT, rather an area that can be seen from all of the basement. Therefor I am going to have limited wall space at listening level in the rear and sides. The total cubic feet will be around 9700.
    Interesting concept, and I'll give you my thoughts.

As noted numerous times, I have three Performance Series set ups: 7.1, 5.1, and 2.1 versions. (Sorry to bore everyone with repeat info.)

The 7.1 HT uses six PT800s, a PC600, two PS1400s, and two HTPS400s. It's in a dedicated, windowless 4,592 cubic ft. room with solid walls all 'round.

The 5.1 MCH uses five PT800s, two PS1400s (stacked), and one HTPS400. It's in an approximately 8,000 cubic ft. living space, with variations in ceiling height, modest changes in floor level and no walls except on the perimeter.

The 5.1 2CH uses two PT800s and one L8400P. It's in dedicated music room of 2,352 cubic feet with three other stereo pairs of JBLS and a 5.1 surround system.

All of the systems sound great, but there are key differences. The HT 7.1 system is clearly the most dynamic and it renders soundtrakcs with authority. For music, it needs to be dialed back, and it's never as spacious and natural as the main floor system simply because of less space and more walls giving off early reflections. Deadening early reflections with room treatments helps, but room treatments do not create more space.

The most natural, musical, and spacious sound comes from the 5.1 music system. Due to the absences of any real early reflections, the Ti drivers can really open up. The combination of varying floor levels, ceiling heights, and other factors such as furniture, floor covering, window coverings, etc., make it a wonderful location for music, especially well-wrought surround. The use of PT800s all around helps, too. As part of a stack, the PS1400s are running in a full range, four-way system, and the single HTPS400 provides more than enough .1 oomph.

The stereo set up with the L8400P works very well, though two subs might work better. The sub's 12" driver is good, but not as good as the LE120H-1 in the L7s or the 2214H in the XPL200s that it shares space with in the music room. So the 2.1 system beats the L7 and XPL200 pairs in upper bass, MF, and HF, but it's only adequate in the LF.

One thing I don't see on your shopping list is the HTPS400 THX sub. It's far better than the L8400P. If you can get it at a good price, it's the better buy for sure. It will be a better support at the low end for PT800/PS1400 stacks, and with its Aluminum cone and 1000W BASH amp, it will never run out of muscle, unless you're an extreme abuser. In a space as large as yours, I'd get at least two and place them according to the Harman multisubs white paper.
    Out.

Would you reccommend the Array 1400's for front L&R over the PS stacks knowing that I could not match any other part of the system with the Arrays?
    No, that would be a mistake. If you could get the whole set as Arrays, I'd say yes.
    Out.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Certainly no glitter... just performance, unlike the Performance Series which is covered in glitter instead of real wood veneer.

Widget
    Why don't you just marry a tree?

Then you would never be without the excellent quality of life that real wood veneer brings to everything. You could shave a little off her every day.

Hey, baby, come here for a minute...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

If were to go with the following system:
    L&R main: PT800 & PS1400 stacked (full range)
    C: PC 600
    Rears & sides: (4) PT800's
    Subs: 2 L8400P's

What kind of power is needed?

Currently I have an h/K AVR745, 85w/ch. I'll probably use as the pre if I get an amp.

I have been looking at Audiogon and spotted a B&K 200.7 amp 200w x 7 for $1400, decent deal.

Or could I use a 125w x 7 amp, perhaps the JBL AvA7/lexicon GX7 if the price was similar?

The P520W on the sides is your real weak point. The side surrounds carry the bulk of the surround load and need to be matched to the fronts. Only PT800 on the sides will do that. Unless you can't live without dipoles, skip those and make it a matched system.

The cost difference is negligible between 2 more PS1400's vs the 2 L8400P's
    Really? I have to ask where you are getting PS1400s, since the L8400p is widely available at $300-500. But since you already have 2 L8400p, you are all set in the sub department. Keep those and run them with the PS system and then decide later if you want more.

Thread Information