Page 37 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    I'm still alive
    OH MY GOD EVERYONE.....Mike's still ALIVE....!!!!!

well, from your post it sounds like you are REALLY alive and having a good time at it also. Sounds like the BIG screen is more your big toy right now than the PS . When I go thru Ohio to Maryland I'll have to stop by and see that screen for sure ( might see you also )

Say, how's Bob doing with his PS speakers? Sounded like the rears worked out OK. Hope he likes them even more as time goes by( if that's possible). I've found that the longer these speakers run the more they open up......

Glad everything is going OK......When you get a chance to hook up the PS you know where we'll be.

Smile Wolverine State memories

.Travers City, Mackinac Island (The Iroquois), then the UP for Pictured Rocks.
    Oh boy, that really brings it back. Been to all those places many times--winter, spring, summer, and fall. No need for any speakers there, just the music of Michigan's natural wonders.

Now I'm gonna have to look for a Michigan scenery/natural sound DVD. Maybe the PS and the CRT will take me back to those happy days.

Thanks, Mike, I think.
    Out.

Question Are there any Cadillacs in Caddyshack? Or just caddies?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome

Dammit! Now I'll be watching Caddyshack tonight.
    So we did watch Caddyshack. The GF had never seen it. (!) (?)

The splashing of the water, the Jaws string music, the screeching of the girls, the ominous floating of the "turd," all more realistic thanks to the PS experience.

Rodney Dangerfield couldn't have been more annoying. It was like he was in the room.

Too funny.
    Out.

MJC
    did a big cruise-in thingie in Detroit at Biker Bobs Harley Davidson. JBL rocked the joint, I tell ya. , and then vacation..........Travers City, Mackinac Island (The Iroquois), then the UP for Pictured Rocks.
    You've been steping thru where I grew up. I haven't been to Machinac Island since the year of the Detroit riots in '67, I think it was. For all the years I've been living in Nevada, I have always said, "Detroit is a good place to be FROM". But I do like the northern part of the LP and the UP.

Michigan may have the Great Lakes, but Nevada and unfortunately Ca, has Lake Tahoe, the jewel of the High Sierra.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    what type of sub's do you have? ( I may have missed this earlier)
    Two sub1500s, one PB12 and two B212s. Actually one the B212s is a rebuilt, after 25 years of hard playing the amp blew up so I replaced it with a PE 150w plate. Then I proceeded to blow up the 121.

Talking Lucky Guys

It seems a few forum members have owned or do own both the Performance Series and some 4430s. With that in mind, Steve (sfellini) suggested a comparison thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...7&postcount=30

Since I heard and got accustomed to the PS first, I'll need to let myself tune in to the 4430s for a bit.

I think it could be an interesting discussion, though I wonder what the relevant points of comparison and contrast will be. I think most people who've heard them will agree they're different.

Now to quantify that? :dont-know

I certainly don't have Widget's or Zilch's laboratories or Lancer's vast experience and technical prowess, so can I really offer that isn't purely subjective?

Out.

Start the thread when the time comes. We'll all "help."

I think it could be an interesting discussion, though I wonder what the relevant points of comparison and contrast will be. I think most people who've heard them will agree they're different.
    I wonder too. It's pretty cut and dried from my perspective. It will be interesting to see what you guys have to say from a subjective perspective. Keep in mind that there is quite a difference in age. The 4430 and 4435 are indeed quite obsolete. Regardless, I still like them both immensely and consider them to be classic examples of how large format 2-way systems should behave. The 4430 sure was a big step up from the older JBL 15-inch 2-ways. The PT800 is a fantastic example of the JBL 8-inch 3-way at it's best.

Smile New Performance Series Web Page

There's a new page:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=PER

Included are some new pieces (as announced earlier this year) and new prices. The PC600, PS1400, and PT800 are about $200 more each.

So far the harmanaudio.com refurb prices have not risen, making them a better deal. Whereas before they were priced at 70% of retail, they're 61% of the new prices (as long as they last).

Also, if you linger on the JBL home page for a minute, you'll see the Performance Series featured in the rotation of products, including the Array Series and the Studio L Series.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 09-10-2005 at 07:43 PM. Reason: wrong price
    Out.

Cool Sing Young

I've known about this place for a couple of years, but haven't stopped in for a while. Inspired by JBLnsince1959, I dropped by today when I was nearby at the LA County DPW building.

They formerly had the Performance Series on display, but sold out all their demo stuff to a lucky guy from KC and his buddy from Texas. However, they can still order Performance Series stuff. So, this is a great actual resource for factory new product.

I think I'll be getting my final PS1400 from them soon.
    Out.

They formerly had the Performance Series on display, but sold out all their demo stuff to a lucky guy from KC and his buddy from Texas. However, they can still order Performance Series stuff. So, this is a great actual resource for factory new product.
    for those who might be interested the person to talk to is Angie Mao, she is very helpful and gave me a really good deal on BRAND NEW stuff also. Anyone can PM me if they want complete information to buy them.

Dome, hope she can work up a good deal for you. Looks like I bought them at the right time before they went up in value.

About two weeks ago a friend of my lady came up and wanted to go to a place called Nebraska Home Center to buy a digital camera. Now the Nebraska Home Center is about the biggest place I've ever seen, with just about everything for the home including all kinds of computers, electronics and stereo and HT stuff. I've only been there once and then only for a few minutes( she wanted to look for furniture). Anyway to make a short story long...... I got dragged out there for the evening ( boring )and I went to the speaker and HT area. Went thru 3 or 4 rooms of speakers and was thinking.. same old, same old... and then....in the last room....was....an entire room.... of all JBL's.... and the main attraction was the PS series setup for for HT with center and two PS800's in rear. WOW... AND they used WIRES to contect the 1400's to the 800's, man did it sound sweet.......

Well, you never know where these things will pop up. Hopefully they will get the new stuff in also. I'm going back out this weekend.

Question No ....

What kind of wires?

Can you get a picture?
    Out.

What kind of wires?

Can you get a picture?
    Looked like speaker wire to me( about 16 gauge), but then I didn't look real close. I'm sure it wasn't lamp cord tho.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend of the room. Nice to know that someone in KC carries JBL. BB has so little now.

I'm sure this was asked, but I'm too drunk to read the whole thread. What are you powering those peices of art with?
    Excuse my ignorance.

I'm powering them with different stuff as I'm still testing what sounds best.

1. 7008 MAC CD Player ( my favorite)

2. Mac C40 pre-amp

3. kimber hero interconnects ( again, I've tried over 6 different ones from very high-end to all silver etc, these give me the best over all balanced sound of fullness to detail)

4. Originally a MAC 402 amp, then tried an aragon amp, and have now settled on the least expensive amps I own, Marantz MA700's for the time being. Strange out these speakers sound "better" with mid-to-Hi-Fi stuff, but then every speaker and system is different. I've been wanting to try out the Mark Levinson amps, but I haven't felt like carrying the puppies down 2 flight of stairs from my reference room down to my play room in the basement. Would really be interesting to here the ML's. ( I'm not a big fan of newer ML amps, or their sources, or pre-amps - too dry and lifeless, but some of their older amps are sweet)

5. The speaker wires I'm currently using are Kimber 8TC and PSS pure silver wires combined in a special way. The Kimber gives the fullness and the silver gives details.

The PS speakers for me are a "fun" thing that I'm enjoying playing with. who knows what I'll hook up later.

This is what I've come to prefer so far.

Thread Information