Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 2490h The big guy Any know anything about this driver ?

JBLGUY

JBL 2490h The big guy Any know anything about this driver ?

Hey guys.....has anyone had any experience with the big dog of JBL drivers. This is the driver with the 3 inch exit hole. I have always wanted to obtain a couple of these along with the ultra large horns that go with them.

Come on you JBL guys does anyone have any info out there to share ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY
    Hey guys.....has anyone had any experience with the big dog of JBL drivers. This is the driver with the 3 inch exit hole. I have always wanted to obtain a couple of these along with the ultra large horns that go with them.

Thanks
    Hi JBLGUY,

try this link:
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page41.jpg

all I can tell you : don't try to use a drive with the expectation of "the bigger the better" , this driver was made specialy for stadiums to blow out the human speach frequencies (250Hz to 4kHz) in one frequency band. I had heard this type with music and tell you.....take the 2"s or 1,5" which sound a lot better for this.
    HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY

Thanks
    I happen to have one of these sitting in the "Dog-house". It's NOBS (new-old-B-stock). I checked with a local JBL dealer and they're over $800 each (that's not list price). If ya really gots to have one, $300 plus shipping and it's yours.

This message comes from JBL Dog

davp2000

reply to JBL dog

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog View Post
    I happen to have one of these sitting in the "Dog-house". It's NOBS (new-old-B-stock). I checked with a local JBL dealer and they're over $800 each (that's not list price). If ya really gots to have one, $300 plus shipping and it's yours.

This message comes from JBL Dog
    I am interested in purchasing 2390 contact davp2000

Quote Originally Posted by davp2000 View Post
    I am interested in purchasing 2390 contact davp2000
    Kind of an old message, from 2005 well over 6 years old!

You should check the date on forum posts ...

01-31-2005, 10:06 PM

I mean, he may still have it and get back with you -
    but 6 years is a long time for folk selling hardware.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

davp2000
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Kind of an old message, from 2005 well over 6 years old!

You should check the date on forum posts ...

01-31-2005, 10:06 PM
    thanks anything newer? davp2000

Anything newer ?
    Well, I'm writing from the year 2015.

I have the 2490 on a 2392 horn. 2392/93/94 is the only series of horns that has a 3" entry, maybe some with 2,8" at Community and if you want the big big guy, the Communiy M4 (4" exit) would be your "thing".
    I use it in home audio, about 5 meters (15ft) listening distance. I'm overall pleased with this driver/combo covering the 300hz-2khz region in a 3-way LS system. I find sound presence great even a lower volumes, absolutely effortless. The section above 2khz turned out to be the greatest challenge; still working on it after about 3 years.
    Cayin CD, CrownSR1, OnkenW(CiarePW388),JBL2490/2392,JBL2445J or McCauley9620/ custom horn, passive Xover

Quote Originally Posted by Elac310 View Post
    Anything newer ?
    Well, I'm writing from the year 2015.

I have the 2490 on a 2392 horn. 2392/93/94 is the only series of horns that has a 3" entry, maybe some with 2,8" at Community and if you want the big big guy, the Communiy M4 (4" exit) would be your "thing".
    I use it in home audio, about 5 meters (15ft) listening distance. I'm overall pleased with this driver/combo covering the 300hz-2khz region in a 3-way LS system. I find sound presence great even a lower volumes, absolutely effortless. The section above 2khz turned out to be the greatest challenge; still working on it after about 3 years.
    You still rockin those bad boys? always wanted to make something with those. I love you observation of effortless presence......100% right on with big mid horns. I love big mids!!!

I just noticed I was the original poster on this under my first name here. Same name now just lower case....cool.
    Still something I always felt had potential for a setup with these mutha's

Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY View Post

Thanks
    I bought a pair of these 19 years ago as a stopgap until I could afford something better. They were going to cover 200 to 1 kHz with very steep active filters,top and bottom. They are still here. The compression drivers above them has gotten more exotic 4 times and the steep upper xo gave way to a simple 6dB oct where the components in the xo cost more than the 2490 itself. They are still here,in daily use and not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JDZA View Post
    I bought a pair of these 19 years ago as a stopgap until I could afford something better. They were going to cover 200 to 1 kHz with very steep active filters,top and bottom. They are still here. The compression drivers above them has gotten more exotic 4 times and the steep upper xo gave way to a simple 6dB oct where the components in the xo cost more than the 2490 itself. They are still here,in daily use and not going anywhere.
    That looks amazing. Giant bass horn you got there. That look pretty ultimate. Would love more details and pics if your able. Is the large mid horn custom built to take a 3inch mouth?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jblguy View Post
    That looks amazing. Giant bass horn you got there. That look pretty ultimate. Would love more details and pics if your able.
    +1

Please describe the bass horn construction and your system over all in more detail. Really beautiful looking.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    +1

Please describe the bass horn construction and your system over all in more detail. Really beautiful looking.

Widget
    This should give a general idea

It is a 4 way horn system. 25 to 200 Hz is handled by a concrete and brick basshorn driven by 2X Mark Levinson 531 monoblocks. Crossover is passive line level at 200 Hz 24db/oct by Marchand. Low bass is the 2490 on a Iwata wood horn crossing at 900 Hz to a second Iwata with TAD 4003 drivers (Thanks Widget)Low crossover by same Marchand. No further crossovers. Driving amplifier First Watt F3. There is a dipole arrangement with JBL 2425 on 2344 firing rearwards as an ambient driver piggybacked on front but pulled down in level by ipad made up of Duelund Cast resistors. Tweeters are Goto ss16TT driven by Marchand 6db oct line level crossover at 10 kHz with a piggybacked JBL 2404 via Duelund Lpad as ambient tweeter firing rearwards. Driving amp is a second First Watt F3

Basshorn can (hopefully) be better seen in this darker pic

It is 3m long with a throat of 6264 cm2 and mouth of 48068 cm2. It is hyperbolic exponential with a q of 0.707. I think it is a 25 Hz horn flare. It is loaded by 5X Altec 515 16G drivers per side,making a total of 10. Rear wave calced by reactance annulling Here is the initial McBean prediction

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2npL23A]

Here are the left and right horns,unequalised and I think 1/24 filtered in the graph. The crossover is in situ. Freq and db scale correct but ohms not. All drivers in parallel make for a rather gruelling load even if very high eff of more than 105db/w

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2npTSSe]

Finally, during construction. My wife is 6ft tall. My daughter.in the pic, is now 22 yrs old.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2npRk2W]

Well I'm impressed with any man who actually lives in his speakers. WOW ! What a system. I'd love to hear it. But it's a bit of a boat ride so guess I won't.
    I'd love to see behind those horns to see the drivers. Hell I'd love to see it all frankly. Very impressive. I run a 3 horn system 5 way setup.
    Love big. Is the listening room you use big?
    More pics would be welcome and thank for what you've shown so far.
    Welcome to the forum as well. Good to have more horn lovers here.
    I've seen in pics another bss horn done like that. Good job and hows it sounds bass wise?

Quote Originally Posted by jblguy View Post
    Welcome to the forum as well. Good to have more horn lovers here.
    Oh, he’s not a new member. He just stepped away for a while like you and has joined us again.

Yes, it is very nice to be reminded of this project and seeing how the room has evolved.

What a beautiful solution. It even has a high WAF rating… at least in my house. Not that I would get away with a full bass horn , but still nice to see it.

Widget

Thread Information