Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EV Sentry III find.

JBLGUY
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Generally speaking, these ears still prefer a two-way horn loaded speaker with a 500 cycle horn, but I believe the EV would be a fun speaker to restore and enjoy. I believe I could easily live with a pair.
    Well the Sentry III has a 500 hz horn. Is that the one you listen to?
    It's about the same size as an Altec 511 ear ringer ......just not metal and much more mellow..a real nice horn IMO

OK, I tracked a pair down locally and paid them a listen yesterday. I took a few of my favorite CDs with me and the shop reselling them (on consignment) was quite accommodating. This particular pair had a pair of NOS woofers, according to them an exact replacement. They did not have the EQ that I've heard about. The mid horn is not nearly as large in person as it looks in the photos, but it is still quite imposing. I listened for about half an hour. They connected them to a Cary preamp and a brand of amplifier that I've not heard of before but was some kind of tweaky SQ brand.

My impression was that these speakers have quite a bit of potential. Throughout my listening, I heard a few things that pointed to the fact that the crossover networks may benefit from some fresh components so I don't feel this pair lived up to their full capabilities. I would also like to hear them with McIntosh amplification. Regardless, I heard many of the same things I've often heard with three-way horn speakers, like those from Klipsch. Generally speaking, these ears still prefer a two-way horn loaded speaker with a 500 cycle horn, but I believe the EV would be a fun speaker to restore and enjoy. I believe I could easily live with a pair.
    Snafu, are you still looking for a pair of these? I have a pair hooked up in my garage that I would sell. I live in Chandler also.

Man, I haven't seen a pair of speakers in YEARS that piqued my interest like these do. I have a pair of Altec 9846-8As that I've owned for 20 years now. I power them with a McIntosh MC2300, and used a pair strapped on them for a few years. I'll be keeping my eye out for a pair of these to come up for sale in the Phoenix area.

Well Mine are for sale now here is your chance ... I ask 2000$ for mine .

Quebec Canada I live

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
    Okay,I'm really annoyed! I wish that I had found those cabs before you did!

But seriously, kudos to you. I've been looking for a pair for the last few years. Those look to be really clean too. Let me know if you decide to get rid of them. I'd drive down quick before you changed your mind.

They are for sale now here in Quebec city Canada . I ask 2000$ for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by memoire101 View Post

Are you willing to ship them ?

Thread Information