Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: active 4345's

active 4345's

Hi all. Can someone help me with running a pair of 4345s through a Behringer DCX 2496? There's only 3 channels but they're 4way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Set them up to biamp.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Okay, but I have no networks. I'm building these from scratch. Using 2441/2390, and 2206.

Well if that's the case can't you switch the 2496 to mono and purchase a second one to cover the other channel?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I can't locate a usable manual for the 2496. Would I then have 6 available channels per 2496? I would much prefer someone build me a pair of networks and bi-amp them. Anyone here you might suggest?

I've already found this site. Problem is that it's deliberately obscured rendering it unreadable.

Manual looks clean enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    I've already found this site. Problem is that it's deliberately obscured rendering it unreadable.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Really! All the letters are covered with boxed X's. What's up?

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Really! All the letters are covered with boxed X's. What's up?
    Then you need to update/upgrade your PDF reader or something on your system.

I had checked the Behringers PDF file from work on a Windows machine and it was fine,
    then after your post I just checked it with my OSX (Mac) machine at home and it looks fine on that too.

If there is a problem its on your system.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

For a 4-way setup, you'd need to either use a conventional crossover for the mid/high section or make it entirely active, using 2 dcx2496's.
    One 'problem' you need to address; you need a volume control for the DCX. The best way to use the DCX is with the digital input;

If you use an analog source, the DCX needs to convert it to digital, and again back to analog. If you use a digital source, the extra conversion isn't needed.
    However, when using a digital input, you need to use some sort of volume-control. A digital volume control is a compromise, it looses detail if it's used at a lower level. I'm using a DCX with a volume control kit in the analog output, which works like a charm. This kit removes the hiss the normal DCX output creates. (my 106db 1w/m drivers only have a slight hiss, when you listen directly in the horn) with the stock one it suffered serious noise.

here is the link to a few pics of this volume control board.

Another option is a minidsp, it has got more than enough inputs, and is available in a ready to run enclosure.

http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/d...10-hd?sef=hcfp

It's also available with more inputs. Reason i chose for the Behringer is because it uses good quality DAC's and with the volume control PCB, the volume control should be a better grade. (and i used it for an active 3 way, not 4 way, like yours)

Quote Originally Posted by Serum View Post
    For a 4-way setup, you'd need to either use a conventional crossover for the mid/high section or make it entirely active, using 2 dcx2496's.
    One 'problem' you need to address; you need a volume control for the DCX. The best way to use the DCX is with the digital input;

If you use an analog source, the DCX needs to convert it to digital, and again back to analog. If you use a digital source, the extra conversion isn't needed.
    However, when using a digital input, you need to use some sort of volume-control. A digital volume control is a compromise, it looses detail if it's used at a lower level. I'm using a DCX with a volume control kit in the analog output, which works like a charm. This kit removes the hiss the normal DCX output creates. (my 106db 1w/m drivers only have a slight hiss, when you listen directly in the horn) with the stock one it suffered serious noise.

here is the link to a few pics of this volume control board.

Another option is a minidsp, it has got more than enough inputs, and is available in a ready to run enclosure.

http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/d...10-hd?sef=hcfp

It's also available with more inputs. Reason i chose for the Behringer is because it uses good quality DAC's and with the volume control PCB, the volume control should be a better grade. (and i used it for an active 3 way, not 4 way, like yours)
    You've lost me regarding the volume control. Is the DCX not governed by the pre? I thought I saw a few words on the manual I was able to make out regarding a quasi 4th channel possible somehow. Can you clarify this?

Thanks,
    Peter

Governed by the pre; yes, if you use the analogue input and accept the losses. (if you are playing from a CD, you have a DAC in your CD, send it through your analogue volumecontrol, the berhringer will make it ADC and DAC again.

The dcx2496 has got 6 outputs; not more. if you want an active 4 way setup, you need two of these devices. (you will have 2 outputs per device unused)

You can't use 1 device for a stereo 4 way active crossover, like planned.

You could also use it as a 3 way active crossover and use a passive crossover between mid/high.

The minidsp i posted earlier does have the ability to be used as a stereo 4 way.

Okay, got it. What are your thoughts on connecting the 2405s directly to a stand alone amp?

That would be an option too, but you would need a passive x-over network for that tweeter. and you can't time-align it to your woofer/mid. (the behringer has an auto time-alignment function, i like that feature myself. be carefull with it; use a capacitor on your tweeter/mid driver when using this, as far as i know it uses a full-range test signal for this..) I understand that another behringer is out of the question?

What amps are you using? some amps have got a x-over build in.

Thread Information