I was asked to post something about my new LS40 in another thread, so here goes.

I have for a long time been interested in the LS series. The sound when auditioning them have been good, when considering the relatively low price. You get a EOS waveguide for the tweeter and a Bi-Radial horn with a proper compression driver for the mids. The woofers have double magnets, where one is glued to the bottom of the backplate. The woofers also have fairly large vents in the pole piece. No Vented gap cooling though.

Two weeks ago when i discovered that a local shop sold the LS40 in HG black for half price, I could not resist, and i ordered a pair, after a short auditioning.

When i got them i first listened to them a couple of days, to get a first impression. Midrange was very good straight out of the box. However the treeble was slightly forward. Not sounding harsh, but rathere there was just a little bit too much level. The woofer seemed abit odd. The transision to the midrange horn was flawed, and it sounded kinda "boxy".

I gave them a quick run in, with a tone generator at 10Hz, letting them utilize as much excursion as i deemed safe. No more than 2x1 minute. After this the woofer blended nicely with the midrange. The LF was not as "boxy" sounding either, but it did not totally go away.

The conclusion is that the LS40 is a very nice speaker for it's price point. For half price it is a steal. I paid $860 for mine, exluding VAT. Normal retail in Norway is $1715, exluding VAT.

I later found a measurement of the LS40 from "Home Theather", wich confirmed my impression of slightly elevated treble. My guess is that this is deliberatly done, to get an even power response. I migh try to put in a shelving filter to lower it, since i sit very close to the speakers.

Name:  LS40.jpg
Views: 2303
Size:  102.3 KB
The Purple curve in the graph is the LS40
Name:  710jbl_meas.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  50.3 KB