Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS 40 has arrived

LS 40 has arrived

I was asked to post something about my new LS40 in another thread, so here goes.

I have for a long time been interested in the LS series. The sound when auditioning them have been good, when considering the relatively low price. You get a EOS waveguide for the tweeter and a Bi-Radial horn with a proper compression driver for the mids. The woofers have double magnets, where one is glued to the bottom of the backplate. The woofers also have fairly large vents in the pole piece. No Vented gap cooling though.

Two weeks ago when i discovered that a local shop sold the LS40 in HG black for half price, I could not resist, and i ordered a pair, after a short auditioning.

When i got them i first listened to them a couple of days, to get a first impression. Midrange was very good straight out of the box. However the treeble was slightly forward. Not sounding harsh, but rathere there was just a little bit too much level. The woofer seemed abit odd. The transision to the midrange horn was flawed, and it sounded kinda "boxy".

I gave them a quick run in, with a tone generator at 10Hz, letting them utilize as much excursion as i deemed safe. No more than 2x1 minute. After this the woofer blended nicely with the midrange. The LF was not as "boxy" sounding either, but it did not totally go away.

The conclusion is that the LS40 is a very nice speaker for it's price point. For half price it is a steal. I paid $860 for mine, exluding VAT. Normal retail in Norway is $1715, exluding VAT.

I later found a measurement of the LS40 from "Home Theather", wich confirmed my impression of slightly elevated treble. My guess is that this is deliberatly done, to get an even power response. I migh try to put in a shelving filter to lower it, since i sit very close to the speakers.

Name:  LS40.jpg
Views: 2303
Size:  102.3 KB
    The Purple curve in the graph is the LS40
    Name:  710jbl_meas.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  50.3 KB
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I was asked to post something about my new LS40 in another thread, so here goes.

I have for a long time been interested in the LS series. The sound when auditioning them have been good, when considering the relatively low price. You get a EOS waveguide for the tweeter and a Bi-Radial horn with a proper compression driver for the mids. The woofers have double magnets, where one is glued to the bottom of the backplate. The woofers also have fairly large vents in the pole piece. No Vented gap cooling though.

Two weeks ago when i discovered that a local shop sold the LS40 in HG black for half price, I could not resist, and i ordered a pair, after a short auditioning.

When i got them i first listened to them a couple of days, to get a first impression. Midrange was very good straight out of the box. However the treeble was slightly forward. Not sounding harsh, but rathere there was just a little bit too much level. The woofer seemed abit odd. The transision to the midrange horn was flawed, and it sounded kinda "boxy".

I gave them a quick run in, with a tone generator at 10Hz, letting them utilize as much excursion as i deemed safe. No more than 2x1 minute. After this the woofer blended nicely with the midrange. The LF was not as "boxy" sounding either, but it did not totally go away.

The conclusion is that the LS40 is a very nice speaker for it's price point. For half price it is a steal. I paid $860 for mine, exluding VAT. Normal retail in Norway is $1715, exluding VAT.

I later found a measurement of the LS40 from "Home Theather", wich confirmed my impression of slightly elevated treble. My guess is that this is deliberatly done, to get an even power response. I migh try to put in a shelving filter to lower it, since i sit very close to the speakers.

Name:  LS40.jpg
Views: 2303
Size:  102.3 KB
    The Purple curve in the graph is the LS40
    Name:  710jbl_meas.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  50.3 KB
    The picture is too indistinct to see.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    The picture is too to see.
    The sentence is too to understand ...

But if it helps, I did find these pix of the Wood finish LS40s on an Australian site ...

Name:  JBL-LS40.JPG
Views: 1983
Size:  18.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

But if it helps, I did find these pix of the Wood finish LS40s on an Australian site ...

Name:  JBL-LS40.JPG
Views: 1983
Size:  18.5 KB
    OMG.it must be dark indeed
    you already understood
    46 lover

My pair is black.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Sorry to go OT, but...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    We have a thread where people post the Ad of the Day... for me, that was the "Post of the Day" I almost hurt myself laughing.

I'm sorry Martin, I am not laughing at your English. I am impressed by the English ability and willingness to make the effort by so many of our international members, but HJ's response was just a work of art!

Back on topic, I remembered comparing the LS80s ~$3K here with a pair of Revel F32s ~$4K here... I was very impressed. The highs were not as delicate but overall the speakers were neutral sounding and dynamic... I was thinking they were designed to target Klipsch. Offering all that is good about Klipsch without that honky horn sound.

I had the wood grain finish, it is really nice, but the edges are a bit bright red (I was told this was lost in translation... the original design was to look like the picture posted above). I think they should redo them with the edges either being black or far more muted. An all black finish is probably a bit more subdued looking. Enjoy!

Widget

Congrats, timc, that's a great price for you. I'm sure you'll get them dialed in just right.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    We have a thread where people post the Ad of the Day... for me, that was the "Post of the Day" I almost hurt myself laughing.

I'm sorry Martin, I am not laughing at your English. I am impressed by the English ability and willingness to make the effort by so many of our international members, but HJ's response was just a work of art!

Back on topic, I remembered comparing the LS80s ~$3K here with a pair of Revel F32s ~$4K here... I was very impressed. The highs were not as delicate but overall the speakers were neutral sounding and dynamic... I was thinking they were designed to target Klipsch. Offering all that is good about Klipsch without that honky horn sound.

I had the wood grain finish, it is really nice, but the edges are a bit bright red (I was told this was lost in translation... the original design was to look like the picture posted above). I think they should redo them with the edges either being black or far more muted. An all black finish is probably a bit more subdued looking. Enjoy!

Widget
    I also can't help laughing at "too to"
    46 lover

Whatever happened to these? They got some decent reviews and then nothing. I really like the way these look in mahogany and I run multiple subs so I don't really care about their limited bass extension. Were they ever marketed in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Whatever happened to these? They got some decent reviews and then nothing. I really like the way these look in mahogany and I run multiple subs so I don't really care about their limited bass extension. Were they ever marketed in the US?
    The LS40s are $699 ea. and are available through your local JBL Synthesis dealer... call and see if they have them available for demo.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I don't really care about their limited bass extension
    are the bass really too to hear

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    are the bass really too to hear
    Oh,come on,you french are too to hear
    46 lover

HUH?

I do not know what you just said!

Quote Originally Posted by BeDome View Post
    i have understood that Martin prefers hearing the english sound than the less singing french one

Quote Originally Posted by BeDome View Post
    Surely,
    you can the rest?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information