Thread: bi-amp or tri-amp setup

bi-amp or tri-amp setup

i know i've asked this before, but can't seem to find the thread -
    i'm considering bi amping or tri amping my C60 sovereign.

i know the horns and tweeters can be upgraded, and I probably will get to that eventually - but for now,
    i'm going to run from my Mcintosh C26 preamp into a Pioneer SF850 crossover - -

any suggestions on what i should amp with (within reason considering these speakers) and approx what settings would be a good benchmark?

I have a McIntosh C11 tube preamp, and a Mc240 - but i think i'm gonna save those for another system - although i could use the C26 on another system as well... i don't know - decisions decisions.

any help would be great.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaronz28 View Post
    i know i've asked this before, but can't seem to find the thread -
    i'm considering bi amping or tri amping my C60 sovereign.

i know the horns and tweeters can be upgraded, and I probably will get to that eventually - but for now,
    i'm going to run from my Mcintosh C26 preamp into a Pioneer SF850 crossover - -

any suggestions on what i should amp with (within reason considering these speakers) and approx what settings would be a good benchmark?

I have a McIntosh C11 tube preamp, and a Mc240 - but i think i'm gonna save those for another system - although i could use the C26 on another system as well... i don't know - decisions decisions.

any help would be great.

thanks
    Is this the thread you are looking for?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...C60-soveriegns

Widget

Thats the one Widget.

No one made any amp recommendations though.

Any suggestions?

Thx

fwiw, looking for nice used amps to do the trick.

somewhere I read that crown D series? no idea which to run -

anyone?

Thanks

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by aaronz28 View Post
    FWIW, looking for nice used amps to do the trick. Somewhere I read that crown D series? no idea which to run—anyone?
    Not specific to your needs or your crossover, and I'm certainly no expert, but I'm running a 4345 system in bi-amp mode using Crown amps. Granted the crossovers are the CC set-up with the schematic posted here but I've used Crowns with—to my ears—great success. Obviously the power demands for the upper end are less than the bottom so I ran a D150A-II (95WPC) for the high-frequency pass from an Ashly XR1001 and a DC300A-II (175WPC) for the low pass to 2245 woofer. You could use the ubiquitous D75A for just the 075 in yours or even a D60, tough the D75 seems to be the preferred low-power Crown amp. All of these have input attenuators which will help you balance the system.

Questions to be answered might be what advantage would you have in tri-amping over bi-amping.
    Some like using a tube amp on the HF for the smoothness and it wouldn't take much power for an 075. Otherwise, bi-amp is far simpler.

It might be simpler to leave the N7000 in the chain and simply bi-amp first and see if you like that result. Your LX5 crosses at 500Hz and you could use that as a starting point. There might be some impedance issues that I can't address but I think you're okay with the 075 regardless. The 375 is supposed to be an excellent driver capable of handling a good bit of power. Since you're asking it to dip down to 500Hz you could consider using the same model amps for LF and HF and maybe even set-up in vertical bi-amp style if that works better for your room or rack by putting one amp behind each speaker. Using a lower-powered amp on the top end is usually done in the hope of keeping noise out of the upper frequencies caused by a higher-powered amp. I suppose a lot depends on the amp but the prices the D75A still goes for today and the fact that it is still available brand new could speak to its capabilities in this type of use.

I'm currently running a PS-400 for the LF and PS-200 on the upper end, which offer a bit more power as well as turn-on delay, and noticed an improvement in the HF rendering over the D-series that was touched on by Scotty Fitlin years ago. If you do decide to try Crown amps, don't overlook the PS-series, though there is no pro PS version of the smallest. Instead you'd have to match it with the consumer Power Line 2 which is not so common and brings too much money compared to its value, IMHO. For bi-amping two PS-400s, or one 400 and one 200 (what I use), should do the trick with the S8R.

Again, I only know what I know based on a narrow spectrum of experience and have only been as successful as I have in achieving my results because of help from the knowledgeable folks here. I'm just offering my opinions and experience to let you know we're listening to your questions and awaiting some response.

Cheers.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

thanks, I think i'm gonna try a PS400 on the 15" and a PS200 on through the factory x-over into the 375 and 075 (i'll start with the PS400 and my Mc240 for now)

eventually i'd like to sell my virgin 375 and 075 (Both mint and complete with red seals) and get a pair of the updated pro versions (2441) with the beryllium diaphragms, and a pair of 2405 tweeters.

i have to admit, even stock - these speakers sound damn good with my MC240 - so i'm kinda excited to hear them bi-amped with a good solid-state 200wpc amp on the 15s. I did mod the upper crossover with a new cap and shorted the switch and that made a pretty damn noticeable improvement in the balance between the two.

thanks for the help
    Aaron

Thread Information