Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audio Rack Suggestions

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i found some audio racks from an audio/survellience installer for cheap on CL a few years ago....

not quite 'Middle Atlantic' caliber stuff, but decent "Pelco" branded stuff...
    the installer was liquidating excess inventory....

maybe some guy in your area is also looking to clear up some warehouse space...

Hi louped garouv, Thats not a bad idea at all, I hadnt thought of CL, I'll troll their site & see what I can find, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Fred ...when I needed one, we went to GW salvage ....they have8-10 racks/cabinets at any given time ..most were $7-15 .. the majority beingoak veneered home entertainment cabinets , but there are some of higher quality.I bought a tambour doored one big enough ( 5 ft. wide) to hold everything, with glassdoors too ..on castors for $5here's an old pic with gear past (much of it is gone) , gone also is all the crap on top-replaced with just a DAC , laptop and TT.
    Hi Tom, I actually stopped by the local thrift store to see what they had and Nada! they did have a really cheap looking pair of really small fisher speakers for $50.00 LOL.BTW, that set up looked really nice with L166's on stands

GLASS SHELVES DIY. I looked at the stack I had here (17 of them, 3/8"+ thick, plenty) & they would work for a DIY. Was thinking of getting some 4x4 posts, cutting mortises into them (thats the tricky part) and sliding the glass panes in there, would need some cross bracing in the back to stabilize but I have something that would fit the bill. The only thing I can think of is to rout those mortises 5/8" deep into the 4x4's (which I would shave to exactly 3"X3"), I have a router, I just have to figure out how to go about that, all 4 posts would have to be routed at the same time so all the cuts remain even/aligned. If I only had a propper wood shop

The other thing is that the glass panes are a little bigger than necessary, 25"x27.5 w.
    They're certainly strong enough to support this beast (which will not be put in said rack..most likely).

Name:  Audio Rack 019.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  75.6 KB
    Just Play Music.

used equipment

I got my rack from a cable installer, paid forty bucks iirc, ask around? You never know what these guys have left over from different jobs.
    Guy in WNY

yeah, its a bit of a drive ...is this 'bout what you need ?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/2909225772.html
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Close, I need about 6 slots, plus use of the top of the unit for a total of 7 pieces, ideally.
    Thanks for the heads up though.
    Just Play Music.

Why not use standard cabinets and stack them?? That's what I did when I needed a larger rack than I could find. Really easy to do.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I didn't build this but planning on doing so. Made with Ikea Lack Side tables http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...zrack and ikea
    Name:  gi.mpl?u=31915&f=DIY_Ikea_Lyte_Rack_007.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  78.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Why not use standard cabinets and stack them?? That's what I did when I needed a larger rack than I could find. Really easy to do.
    Rob
    Hi Rob,
    I remember your set up but I was under the impression that those kind of racks were for gear that could be mounted (rabbit ears?) onto the rack, pro gear kind of stuff. A lot of my gear doesnt have that and I dont know if there are stand alone shelves on those systems.

Quote Originally Posted by r8833 View Post
    I didn't build this but planning on doing so. Made with Ikea Lack Side tables
    I'm familiar with the Lack system but it wouldnt work with some of my larger units.
    The other thing that I would be very concerned is making sure those stacked pieces were very securely anchored to one another, all ikea stuff is fairly cheap grade particle board, I always end up modifying their pieces to make them serve my applications. Buy a tube of PL construction glue/adhesive (the kind you put in a caulking gun/applicator) at home depot if you're considering this approach, just in case! you dont want your gear crashing down at any time. It does look pretty cool though.

Done deal !,
    after much runing around to depot, walmart & finally target for those wire racks (they all had some version of it but never exactly what I was looking for, or only one unit, or only a small one) I went to Ikea , I didnt want to but I was getting to be too much of a wild goose chase. I'll post some pictures when I get it set up.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information