Thread: help to identify my speakers please

help to identify my speakers please

hi, i recently purchased a set of altec lansing 937 monitor/pa speakers from ebay for £2.20 as i had a hunch they may be a good investment, i am wanting to sell them on but need to properly identify all speakers first and really hoping you guys could help.
    heres a link to the actual speakers...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...sYTQeSWxgKKhLQ

however its each individual speaker i want to identify properly to make sure whats inside is as stated in the brochure so heres some pictures ive taken, these are stated to be er-12s

Name:  ggg.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  30.1 KBName:  gghh.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  36.7 KBName:  gghhh.jpg
Views: 2542
Size:  36.4 KB

and these are stated to be 908 compression drivers with mr931-12 mantaray horns

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2767
Size:  36.4 KBName:  manta.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  40.6 KB

can anybody confirm these and also tell me if they are good speakers, much they are worth and would i be better off selling in the cabs or splitting everything up seperately?

thanks for your time, chris

That cone driver is definitely an Electro Voice EVM 12S. Not sure about the compression driver.
    That particular series along with the EVM 15L and 15B are of early `80`s vintage
    raw drivers were made available to manufacturers of PA gear and Musical Instrument amplification and the general public as OEM versions. They lacked the fancy Electro Voice pseudo-heatsink magnet cover. I kind of doubt Altec used them however. It seems yours were retrofitted with the EV`s at some point as they were quite affordable back then.
    Someone else will no doubt chime in.
    Last edited by Mike F; 03-03-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    That cone driver is definitely an Electro Voice EVM 12S. Not sure about the compression driver.
    That particular series along with the EVM 15L and 15B are of early `80`s vintage
    raw drivers were made available to manufacturers of PA gear and Musical Instrument amplification and the general public as OEM versions. They lacked the fancy Electro Voice pseudo-heatsink magnet cover. I kind of doubt Altec used them however. It seems yours were retrofitted with the EV`s at some point as they were quite affordable back then.
    Someone else will no doubt chime in.
    Here's a brief history...

Firstly...yes the 12" is an EVM12S....with an Altec part number.

In the mid 1990s, Mark IV Industries acquired Altec-Lansing, Gauss and University Sound, as well as being the parent of Electro-Voice. During this tenure, Altec did in fact contain some EV transducers, typically low frequency, with an Altec part number.

When Mark IV sold the audio division...it was only responsible for about 10% of revenues...to an investors group, it became Electro-Voice Int'l, or EVI. Subsequently EVI was bought by Telex and the decision to shut down Altec, Gauss was made. This is when Bill Hanushak acquired the assets and Great Plains Audio took over Altec, Gauss.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

thanks for some feedback, i did at one point after researching think they were ev drivers but all the ones ive seen had stickers on the magnet and couldnt see any looking this old....am i right in sayinf that none of those numbers are ev or altec manufactuer codes? i searched them in google and nothing came up....so are these the earliest version of the evm-12s? are they as good as the new ones or worse in performance and sound....also are they very sought after.

the drivers came in altec lansing 937 cabinets...was there no chance they where put in there originally at the time of manufacturing during the time altec and ev started together?

lastly is there a picture of the original altec er-12s anywhere u know of because i havn't came across one.....it says in the ad the newly designed er-12s is it not possible altec originally made the speaker briefly before ev came along then ev used the design and relabelled it evm-12s? as the names are very similar?

cheers, chris

Hello again...further searching my speaker looks exactly like this which is a er-12s.....

Name:  ER12S.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  30.2 KB

so what makes it a evm-12s and not the er-12s?? Im really confused look to be the same speaker
    Last edited by chrism; 03-04-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: FOUND BETTER EVIDENCE

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Hello again...further searching my speaker looks exactly like this which is a er-12s.....

Name:  ER12S.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  30.2 KB

so what makes it a evm-12s and not the er-12s?? Im really confused look to be the same speaker
    The catalog you refer to is firmly in the melding phase of the Altec brand using EV components. The ER-12S and the EVM-12S are the same speakers. The only difference is the numbers.

Notice in the 1993 catalog the microphone page. The mics are EV NDym mics rebranded with Altec model numbers.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information